Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ransomware

Default Ransomware

Don't know if THIS is of any interest/help to anyone?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Ransomware

1)Prevention......don't click on stuff etc, use common sense and avoid malware
    2)Back up your stuff. One image and a regular backup of data
    then, if you should be infected, restore away,, all free of charge.
    Ex-pctek

Cool. This is really good to know.

Most people are too stupid or lazy to do the necessary preventative measures, and will end up in a panic once the ransomeware has taken hold, so to actually have a resource for undoing the mess is a good thing.

But as piroska has pointed out, a stitch in time is better still. My image is probably 6 months old. Think I'd better take her hint and do an update.

I may be wrong, but Google always suggests that I enable synchronization so that all my devices are kept up to date.
    This seems an excellent way to spread malware to all my devices, and infect my backups. Quite apart from that, not all extensions, and settings are compatible with other devices.
    I prefer to do manual backups as required.

I got done by Ransomware a few years ago.
    I did not pay - I did not trust them and the Bitcoin thing looked too hard.
    So I went to my backups, I lost a weeks data and a lot of time and stress

So my advice
    Be carerful but that is not fool proof
    I got advised by a guy on a forum to use a certain codec to play a file and I am sure that that was what loaded the Malware.
    If I could ever find him I would..... him.
    I now use Malware Bytes Premium (its got to be the paid one)to hopefully head off any ransomware.
    To backup regularly and not connected to your main device.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of people out there who have no idea how to back anything up, and, you have no hope of teaching them.

I have a number of mates that fit this category the oldest being 89 an youngest 72.

One of them, an 80yo, is the limit. Turning things off constitutes just pulling the plug out of the wall. He went to sea in 1959 and was still sailing aged 75. Only failing his medical saw him land based.

However, you canít teach him much about any sort of ship. Each to their own I guess.

And, I canít resist, I lessened my workload extensively by changing them all over to Linux Mint because none of them had a Snowballs chance in Hell of ever handling Windows 10.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of people out there who have no idea how to back anything up, and, you have no hope of teaching them.
    Sometimes its the people trying to teach others as well, dont really know what they are doing,so blind leading the blind

It can be made fully automated, literally setup and forget. The BIGGEST problem is getting people into a habit of plugging in an external drive at the time.

Had to sort one out earlier this week. The guy has thousands of Photos (he's right into photography) and wanted the whole PC setup to do weekly backups, only keep two copies ( auto delete the oldest) as well as any new changes to the photos on the fly / as they change and saved, simple enough, BUT the person he used earlier ( knew everything about computers) tried to use Windows inbuilt, while it worked it filled his 6TB Drive within a week as it wasn't set correctly.

The big problem I tried to explain is having the backup drive attached all the time was not a good idea, but he was aware of the possible troubles and said he would take the risk as he wanted automatic -- OK your choice -- So set it up to do exactly what he wanted using two different programs BUT on the up side convinced him to do a complete backup to a separate drive at different times on a regular basis, when he plugs in the drive, one will be automatic the other, double click the icon and walk away for a few hours. This way he has two sets of backups.

changing them all over to Linux Mint because none of them had a Snowballs chance in Hell of ever handling Windows 10
    Obviously not setup right then by whom ever changed them. I done 3 upgrades this week from W7 to W10, when I took the computers back two of the people ( in there 70's) both said "couldn't it be done" ?? I said yes its changed, they couldn't see the difference, apart from a couple of new programs I had installed, everything worked exactly like before, when I showed them the main change both said similar " is that it" ?? --- YEP-- they just laughed, one said whats all the fuss about then ??
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-01-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

But back to this thread, good idea having the site for Ransom ware repairs, there will still be people who get caught.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

The sites with decryption keys have been around a while

Unfortunately, most of the time they dont work. They are mainly very very old decryption keys , or the very occasional key that they manged to find .
    Hackers just arnt that stupid, the modern ransomware usually has a different key for every attack.

The key lists are honestly of little use , I looked there on the many crytpo infections Ive had to clean up (better than nothing though).

That's a really helpful site. I've bookmarked it, but hopefully won't need it. Now, it's about time I did another backup!
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.