Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Backing Up - need help please

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I just backup our data once a week, gave up making images when Win10 came out as its so easy to just reinstall.
    I don't use images as backups...and I don't advocate it.
    An image just saves time doing a reinstall when something badly goes wrong.

Using them as a regular backup IMO defeats half the purpose - a clean, fresh install, with all drivers, software, tweaks and customisations done. Which is what took the longest time, not installing Windows itself....

But Windows gets bloat, clutter and slows down over time. Why image all that crud?
    If I made a new one, I started with the old one, updated new stuff -printers, new software etc and then did a new one.
    But not often.
    Ex-pctek

for a home PC

so : " keep it simple stupid ". rule should apply .
    No point in having confusing over the top backup systems for an av home user

Use the built in Windows Backup : why , because its allready there, its simple and it works.
    With 3rd party programs, they can leave you with backups you cant easily recover from : seen that plenty of times

So, use the built in windows backup, pick the option to include a system image,
    backup to USB hard drive . Unplug the USB Hard drive when not actually backing up.

Start there, then you can think of having a copy offsite (overkill for many home users)
    I would but a new USB drive for backps, and not use it for anything else

Lets Hope National had their laptops backed up

Shows why you need Offsite backups!

Fire, earthquake, Hard drive failure and now burglary!
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    for a home PC

so : " keep it simple stupid ". rule should apply .
    No point in having confusing over the top backup systems for an av home user

Use the built in Windows Backup : why , because its allready there, its simple and it works.
    With 3rd party programs, they can leave you with backups you cant easily recover from : seen that plenty of times

So, use the built in windows backup, pick the option to include a system image,
    backup to USB hard drive . Unplug the USB Hard drive when not actually backing up.

Start there, then you can think of having a copy offsite (overkill for many home users)
    I would but a new USB drive for backps, and not use it for anything else
    The average home user
    Probably has lots of photos and documents they want to keep
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    Thanks everyone for advice and explanations. I've used 260GB of 1TB so 1TB will be good. Western Digital or Seagate have external drives for around $100 which would be my budget just now and better a cheapish one than none at all I'm thinking. Are there minimum computer specs for connecting with a USB? Mine is a few years old now and has Intel i5 4440 - 8GB Ram - Nvidia GEForce GTX750Ti - 1TB WD 64MB hard drive. Instructions for macrium reflect would be good wainuitech, thanks.
    Do you only have 1 hard drive in your machine?

First I would move your files to a centralised folder with maybe folders underneath that.

I would make a windows image of your hard drive now to a external drive - yes one of those $70 Seagate or Western Digital 2.5" portable USB hard drives. 1TB is fine but you may find 2TB more bang for buck and not cost much more.

Then periodically I would backup that folder. You can use software to do so or you can just copy and paste.

Yes the windows image to me is really if a drive failed, you can get a new drive and reload the image onto the same system. Instead doing backups, if your computer goes kapuf, you can plug your external hard drive to another computer and instantly get your files out.
    Last edited by Nomad; 20-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I don't use images as backups...and I don't advocate it.
    An image just saves time doing a reinstall when something badly goes wrong.

If I made a new one, I started with the old one, updated new stuff -printers, new software etc and then did a new one.
    But not often.
    Yeah a lot times for me I don't install much important softwares. They could be reinstalled quite easily and if I get a new printer etc .. they can also be done easily.

Senior

Thanks to all for taking the time to contribute, I've read everything and am making progress in understanding the basics. Thanks chiefNZ for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post, unfortunately I'm very much a novice regards backing up and it goes well beyond my understanding and needs. Keeping it simple is definitely the way to go for me at this stage. I hope to buy an external hard drive this week but in the meantime I have a question: What is regarded as 'data' when backing up, is it just my photo and document files or does it include video clips and my itunes library and other stuff.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    I have a question: What is regarded as 'data' when backing up, is it just my photo and document files or does it include video clips and my itunes library and other stuff.
    Anything stored on your hard drives is considered DATA.

If you are just starting out, I suggest you start your backup journey with just your personal files that you want to make sure are safe. So that would be be documents, photos, music etc.
    Last edited by chiefnz; 20-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Senior

got it thanks chief

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Yes.
    Buy a biggish one, depending how much stuff you have on the internal, too big is not a worry, too small is.....
    500GB , 1 TB better yet.

Western Digital is good.

I like 2.5" ones, they just have a USB, 3.5" ones need usb and external power...so meh.
    As this is your first time, Piroska's comments are good. I have three external drives, one 'permanently' attached
    to the Desktop. One other I am going to store next door. However, I have over 500 Gigs of photos, so am not
    representative of an average requirement.
    Affinity Photo 1.8 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile