Default strange win10 upgrade behaviouir from Win7

I have an unused Win7 in a VM, and decided to upgrade it to Win 10. I installed 178 updates (!), then got the media creation tool and did the business. It all appeared to go OK, but when it was complete, I found I couldn't get to the logon screen. I saw the blurry image with the date and time, but when I tried to get past it by up-dragging or double clicking, I got a momentary glimpse of my avatar and the spinning disc, then it reverted to the blurry image again. Nothing I tried would let me past that point. I let it sit for an hour or so, but that made no difference. When I closed down the VM, it went through s normal close down process.

My usual next step would be to try it again/reinstall etc and generally faff around. I'm posting here because I just had an email from a neighbour asking whether he should upgrade his PC from Win7 to Win10. I responded that he should have done it years ago.

I suspect he will ask me for help, so I need to be forearmed in case the same thing happens to him.

Ideas, anyone?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: strange win10 upgrade behaviouir from Win7

Theres a Difference between an actual Stand alone PC and a VM. Just becasue it failed on a VM doesn't mean it would fail on standalone.

BUT 1st step I'd make a complete Image (suggest Macrium reflect) of the W7 to an external Drive. (just in case)

Download the media Creation tool and run it or go to the MS site and it may say upgrade this PC. Its either going to work or not.

I went to do it on Saturday W7 >>> W10, got pissed off waiting after 3 hours and it was only approx 40% upgrading, so wiped drive and installed fresh in a fraction of the time. Then put back various programs and using the Macrium Image copied the data back.

Thanks WT. If he does ask me I'll certainly make sure he has an image to fall back to.

I don't think it can be a common problem as I couldn't find any references to it in a search.

The problems of fast posting - I do know how to spell behaviour!
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The problems of fast posting - I do know how to spell behaviour!
    Dont worry about it. No garramer or spalling Police here

You should see some of the txt's I send SWMBO Some replies come back as WTF was that ????