Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Internet has changed to CIS Secure DNS, now can't connect to Internet.

Hi. This isn't my problem it is a friend of mine in Montevideo, Uruguay.
    She has Comodo Internet Security Premium v 12.0.0.6818 and two days ago she was using Internet and after a break/rest when she returned to use computer had no wi-fi internet connection.
    She uses a Tablet/Notebook and Internet is supplied using a Huawai LTE E8372 'Wingle' I (Its a USB Dongle)
    I have tried suggesting many things to her, such as Reset the Huawai, Reset Internet Connection, System Restore plus other things but whether or not she did them I have no idea. She is fluent with English but sometimes sending info to do things is one step at a time. Labourious to say the least.
    Anyway I digress from the topic. She uses Google Chrome Browser and has Win 10 OP System. I will speed up posting of info so that things do not become lengthy and you lose track of the issue.

Comodo Internet Security also has a Browser called Dragon. I do Not have Dragon installed to my computer.
    When installing Comodo (CIS in future and Dragon will be CD) there is an offer to use Comodo Secure DNS. I rejected it as I believe my friend did when she installed CIS a couple year ago.
    Occasionally, I get popup notifications saying from Comodo saying my Browser is trying to change my DNS and Browser settings. I decline to have DNS changed. I use W10 v1909x64 Pro and Edge Browser.

The other day she said her computer was updating, I guessed she meant Windows updates...BUT she could have also meant Comodo was updating version or DataBase and what I can recall is from that time onward my friend has not been able to connect to the internet. (once yesterday she did)
    BUT she did get connected 20 hours ago. Earlier I had told her to go to Network and Sharing and Troubleshoot her internet connection and hours later she sent me a pic showing Windows Network Diagnostics. Basically, DNS is not responding. I think Comodo IS has taken over and has changed her DNS to Comodo's Secure DNS. Maybe that happened when her computer was 'Updating'. It was working and online before it updated and she shut down com and restarted a few hours later.
    So the question is : HOW can she Get her Original DNS settings reinstated and get her computer connected to the Internet again??
    This one has been a real pain to try to get fixed, the 20,000 miles between her and me and her having to send/receive messages using a Mobile Phone. The Huawai 'Wingle' is only for her computer/tablet.
    Here is the Translations of what was showing in the Pic she sent of Network Diagnostics

DIAGNOSTICOS DE RED DE WINDOWS = WINDOWS NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS

PONGASE EN CONTACTO CON EL ADMINISTRADOR DE RED = CONTACT YOUR NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR

PROBLEMAS ENCONTRADO = PROBLEMS FOUND

EL SERVIDOR DNS NO RESPONDE = THE DNS SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING

She did manage to get connected to the internet on her tablet using the Wingle device last night, at about 2am NZ Time (11am in her city) and only today I found that she had used "something else" which turned out to be "Comodo Dragon Browser.
    So Chrome doesn't open, Internet says No connection but she fires up Comodo Dragon Browser and its all systems go as long as its Comodo Systems.

Whats the best and surest way to get her DNS back as it was before and Internet connection? I would opt for the Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Automatically detect settings and click OK, Reboot and see if that gets it all back as should be.
    I have been looking at a number of links in Google about changing/resetting DNS and as they are all in English its no good my sending the links to my friend. She is 78 tears of age, not slow in the head, but there is just too much there for her to comprehend and do. Alas, no internet at her end so I cannot leap into her computer using Remote Assistant app and do what needs to be done.
    What would be fantastic is a bit of Text in Notepad, giving the necessary code, saved as a .bat file that she could Right click, Run as Admin and after a reboot all was back to normal

There was a link I read about 'Flushing DNS cache and resetting'. Says its easy to do and only takes second. I followed the steps, it did nothing visible to my Internet but I do not have a screwed DNS/ TCP/IPv4 (or Internet Protocol Version 6........if that is where the issues are rooted)

Thanks in advance

Garry

https://www.webnots.com/how-to-chang...in-windows-10/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ngs-windows-10

https://support.immunet.com/topic/66...d-n-s-service/
    Last edited by kioti; 11-01-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: Internet has changed to CIS Secure DNS, now can't connect to Internet.

1st Step - after fixing, REMOVE COMODO - its obviously causing problems (read its crap and causes more problems than it fixes)

How to get around the DNS issue - try this https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4906-.html
    Then reset the DNS on the router if needed to something better ( googles are 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

The following is also shown as to what you thought (IP4 internal setting) https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-4...s-service.html

As long as the router is getting the DNS OK and the computer is set to auto, then the Router is supplying the DNS and IP.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-01-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Internet has changed to CIS Secure DNS, now can't connect to Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    1st Step - after fixing, REMOVE COMODO - its obviously causing problems (read its crap and causes more problems than it fixes)

How to get around the DNS issue - try this https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4906-.html
    Then reset the DNS on the router if needed to something better ( googles are 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

The following is also shown as to what you thought (IP4 internal setting) https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-4...s-service.html

As long as the router is getting the DNS OK and the computer is set to auto, then the Router is supplying the DNS and IP.
    wainuitech
    Hi and thanks for the reply and links. I will have a read of them while I allow my friend to wake and have brekkie etc. Time for her now in Uruguay is 06:50am Saturday 11_01_20.
    As I can't use Remote to do the necessary changes, it will be a one step at a time process with her sending me a screen pic from her mobile camera and then my taking her to the next step using image and words.
    I will post back with hopefully good outcome.
    I was wondering about having to get into her Internet device and change the DNS in there. I tried to ask as an edit to my post but the allowed time for that had gone. Thinking that she can use the 'Reset' button accessible after removing the backside of the Wingle, and get her device back to state it was when she first used it and has used it since ( 2 years or longer) without any pronlems.
    Yep I think removing Comodo IS would be a good idea for her to do. I went back to Comodo IS after the the ESET AV I bought and used was locking up the .exe for a computer game I play and there was no-way I could recover the files and play the game. Even setting the full path to the game's .exe in ESET to not scan the files was ignored.
    Perhaps she could give TotalAV a tryout. It's Free which will do for a starter. I will do the Comodo Removal and AV replacement for her when we have Internet access and I can use Remote access.
    Wondering if the ESET AV I have would instal and run on her computer, considering it was installed to my computer and registered with ESET. One way to find out.
    I will go have a read of the links now.
    Cheers

Garry

Perhaps she could give TotalAV a tryout.
    NO WAY-- That's the worst Idea out.

Total AV will cause even more problems. Its actually powered by Avira's Software, so its not even theirs. The free version will bug the hell out of the owner to buy the paid version, in other words doing what Malware does.Last time I tested it, it said I had multiple infections (over 100) and this was on a brand new install. -- So go figure.

ESET AV I bought and used was locking up the .exe for a computer game I play and there was no-way I could recover the files and play the game. Even setting the full path to the game's .exe in ESET to not scan the files was ignored.
    Any files detected will be in the quarantine, and can be put back. You dont tell it not to scan these files if they are good, you white list them, which kind of does the same thing. If its a known infection ( regardless of if its a game or not) then its doing its job, there's something in the file that's triggering it.

Well after Googling Total AV and finding 3 vids on the page, decided to give it a miss for my friend as it's not really "Free AV" as stated. This vid made that clear.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...CC00&FORM=VIRE

Maybe OK if she buys the Full version (?)
    There are others to consider.Avast/AVG/ Kaspersky etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Well after Googling Total AV and finding 3 vids on the page, decided to give it a miss for my friend as it's not really "Free AV" as stated. This vid made that clear.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...CC00&FORM=VIRE

Maybe OK if she buys the Full version (?)
    There are others to consider.Avast/AVG/ Kaspersky etc.
    1. NO
    2. NO/NO /Best of whats listed.

AVG IS Avast these days. Avast brought AVG out in 2016.

Re the Video--- as it states Malwarebytes detects TotalAV as Malware.

I can honestly say 90% of the time when people have internet related problems, uninstall AVG, Trend Micro or Avast if they are installed and the problem disappears. What does that tell ya
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-01-2020 at 01:06 PM.

NO WAY-- That's the worst Idea out.

Total AV will cause even more problems. Its actually powered by Avira's Software, so its not even theirs. The free version will bug the hell out of the owner to buy the paid version, in other words doing what Malware does.Last time I tested it, it said I had multiple infections (over 100) and this was on a brand new install. -- So go figure.

Any files detected will be in the quarantine, and can be put back. You dont tell it not to scan these files if they are good, you white list them, which kind of does the same thing. If its a known infection ( regardless of if its a game or not) then its doing its job, there's something in the file that's triggering it.
    wainuitech
    hi. Yep all those I listed are no-go AV's. I had Avast Home 15 years ago, thought it was good, it was useless. Same with AVG, I used that in about 2008-2010 then I reverted to Comodo again. I had ESET NOD32 about 2010/2011 and got rid of it because when I went to perform a Syst Restore it couldn't be done because files had been quarantined and deleted by ESET
    Re: the PC game .exe ESET was finding to be a (Trojan or Virus).WIN32.generic ...its a cracked .exe. That's why it continually finds and locks it up. Yep once its in quarantine I do not have an option to Restore and add to exclusions.
    I have all the makings for another PC here. I will get all my games installed to that and not bother with AV (I will have one installed initially while computer System updates etc are installed)... that computer will not be going online after W10 v1909 is installed, updated and has all the necessary netfx, visual C++ etc etc it will probably only be taken online every 6 months to get Win Updates etc.

As for an AV for my friend, I think we get her ESET NOD32, 30 day trial to see if she can get to grips with it and if so well she can buy a license.

To finish off, we haven't tried anything to get her DNS sorted out yet. She was tired and had to go out with family and is now asleep so we be attempting to get things back to normal when she wakes.
    She told me before I went to sleep last night that yesterday, she had bought 40GB data from the phone company she uses and it was all used up ....... after her only going on FaceBook and playing Criminal Case game for 3 hours!!!! Absurd. 13.33GB per hour. I have ADSL and use Ethernet cable from modem to computer, my Data usage is showing 92.88 GB for the past 30 days..... Torrents and Edge Browser used 82.65 GB.......Bluestacks Emulator for PC used 4.74GB......... FB Criminal Case Auto collector used 2.75GB and the remainder used by system, a few MB by apps and gmail visits. So somethings amiss with her 'Wingel' or maybe Comodo Secure DNS has hidden usage overheads. Dunno but the sooner Comodo is outed and replaced the better.

Cheers

Garry
    Last edited by kioti; 12-01-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Re: the PC game .exe ESET was finding to be a (Trojan or Virus).WIN32.generic ...its a cracked .exe. That's why it continually finds and locks it up.
    Surprise !!! A cracked exe detecting as an infection, who would guess.

Not all of them are BUT like I often say --- Sometimes people don't tell you everything. You play with illegal / cracked /Pirated software and you then take a risk yourself.

Surprise !!! A cracked exe detecting as an infection, who would guess.

Not all of them are BUT like I often say --- Sometimes people don't tell you everything. You play with illegal / cracked /Pirated software and you then take a risk yourself.
    wainuitech
    obviously it is best not to tell everything. As I said in a thread I posted 1-2 year back, when I had ESET NOD32, I mentioned it locking up the file, it's the only AV I have used that quarantines the file AND doesn't allow it to be restored and added to exclusions. At the time I said ESET was too damn efficient, which you and others will laugh at . I think my saying that ESET was locking up a game .exe would have been enough for anyone to figure that the .exe is cracked. Another story to tell is this one..... when I lived in Invercargill 12 year ago I hired Games from a major DVD Movie/Game Hire shop and out of curiosity I opened the folders on the game disc and knock me down with a feather there was a NO CD Crack in there. Well well well. All the Artwork in the Copies made in China most likely...... also, the DVD's of Movies were not the genuine item. They were not stiff like DVD's are, they were lighter and thinner. Copies, made by the shipping container full. Specifically for the DVD Rental Outlets. Why buy costly genuine DVD Movies to hire out and get them returned scratched when copies that are a dime a dozen can be bought and used. The picture quality is ok but it was nowhere near that from an Original genuine version of the movie.... colours are softer and definition is not as sharp on the copies. I have hired DVD's of Opera's from the Library and the quality of the DGG (Deutsche Grammophon) and Decca DVD's is ok, passable but lacking that which one would expect from those Big names...obviously copies, reproductions. Sometimes I thought the image quality was not much better than that which one gets watching old VHS recordings..pale/pastel colours, no depth in the shadows/darker colours and low definition.
    15 year ago, I did a very large job for a teacher of sign language (NZSL). ... 120 VHS tapes of lessons ranging from 15 minutes to 2 hour, converted to DVD Video_TS.... Using a Digitech USB AV Grabber....VHS to Grabber to Computer...long process, real time reading of the VHS tapes and converting to mpeg2 files which I then created a DVD with 4-6 Lessons on each DVD....... 10 copies of each created DVD. Ha ha . that wasn't pirating, the client had purchased the VHS recordings and wanted them on DVD as it is faster to get from one lesson to another than having to fast forward/rewind a VHS. The DVD's of groups of lessons I compiled were for her students and for her to use at the glass lessons.
    So much for cracks and pirating..Major Rental Stores stay afloat using them
    ps: JASON is a virus..my Comodo was always showing warnings for it
    Last edited by kioti; 13-01-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Never have I seen a cracked game .exe infect anything! it's an .exe that's been cleaned of unwanted code. Re-engineered, debugged