Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Thinking of getting Backblaze for my online backup

A while ago I researched this and at that time Backblaze seemed to fit the bill best - reliable and for the long haul.
    I did start to upload files under their trial option and it seemed so slow.

Soon after, I pulled the plug, thinking that many days to upload my 545 Gig of photo files was too long. However, I
    am now thinking that my decision was too hasty. After all, once I have uploaded everything, then afterwards it is just the time
    needed to amend what is in the Cloud, not upload everything.

Acting as 'Devil's Advocates' - any thoughts, from you, on why I should not go with Backblaze? Anything better?
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Thinking of getting Backblaze for my online backup

What I would think is do you HAVE to have online backup or just a backup you can keep locally (external Drive or spare PC / NAS)? Add in the ongoing cost for online (due to the size).

As you say, the 1st upload will be large and time consuming, but any future will only be the sizing at the time, not everything.

May pay to do the uploads (if you go ahead) in smaller batches (say 100GB at a time), keep in mind that you will want unlimited data on your internet connection. over 500GB your ISP may hit you with a large invoice otherwise.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Wanderer

Not sure about Blackblaze but some of those companies send you a hard drive which you can copy your files and then send it back to them ... and they will upload / backup your files locally by plugging it in. There are a number of NZ companies that offer this feature also but prob cost more month / month versus the overseas options.

For photography I have a portable HDD which I put in the a safe deposit box and do a 3 monthly update. The thing is if you suddenly need to get the online backup how are you gonna download this 500GB? I guess they could send you the hard drive also you can do a local restore by plugging into your machine. A offsite solution that you can take a bus or drive your car to get it might be worthwhile.

Many thanks for the feedback wainui and Nomad. I decided instead to buy another external hard drive (SSD ones too expensive). Have bought a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB. Have set it up to backup continuously. So, I will (almost) always have this one attached to our desktop. At times, I will do other full backups on our WD 2TB and our WD 1TB. One of these I will leave with our next door neighbour in case of a volcano in the back yard! Maybe overkill, but my photos and photo-editing are a vital part of my life and retirement for the last 12 yrs (10 of these retired). The photos I have taken are growing at the rate of almost 100 Gig a year.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

An added thought that I have just had now. This external hard drive that I have just bought also does mirroring. I have my operating system and programs on an SSD - C: and our data on a hard drive - G:.
    As an extra precaution I could mirror our SSD - C: to the external drive. Sound logical?
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    An added thought that I have just had now. This external hard drive that I have just bought also does mirroring. I have my operating system and programs on an SSD - C: and our data on a hard drive - G:.
    As an extra precaution I could mirror our SSD - C: to the external drive. Sound logical?
    No not really. A Mirror is an exact copy of the working system, meaning if you were to plug in the drive to a SATA port it would boot into Windows. Another example of that is if you have a PC/ Server in RAID and its set to mirror, it makes an identical copy on the 2nd drive so if one happens to fail it will keep going as if nothing has happened ( in theory) and we all know how theory works eh

For backing up, you want an Image, this makes (normally) one single compressed file of the OS/ programs (snapshot) of the drive exactly as it is at the time the image is made.

That may sound the same but its not. Here for example are images (on one of my servers) of one of my insider Build PC's they are snapshots at the time / dates as shown, so in the event I needed to put any of them back I can select which one going by the dates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Images.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	10154

You can have as many images as the drive will hold, where as a mirror you can only have one.

Example, here's (not going to show full names) of all the Folders containing images on the same drive relating to several computers: There's 16+ Different installs all on the same drive. Some are other Server backups, some Insider Builds some the day to day computers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All_Images.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	10155
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-01-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Mirroring is meant to protect against a hardware failure rather than act as a backup. One key difference is mirroring is generally automatic and immediate so if you accidentally delete something or it gets corrupted somehow that tends to happen to both copies at once. A mirrored drive is protected more than a single drive but a backup is generally kept separate and done periodically and is much better data protection.

I'd consider drive mirroring as a better than nothing solution for people who don't want to do regular backups.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wanderer

With my photography backups. I first create a Windows 10 system image to a few different external HDDs. Yes I have multiple b/c backup drives can fail also. At least 1 at home in a drawer not plugged in and 1 in a safe deposit box. I also backup the photographs using the folder structures so I can totally separate out where and what are my photos.

I also have 1 hard drive inside my machine for backup using a program I sync it every day because in the real world I might not actually grab my external HDDs and do that every single day.

Edit, b/c I am backing up the photos with the folders. If I get a new computer or my computer gets blown up. I can plug this HDD in any computer including a Mac and get my files.

Wanderer

^ the systems image does not have any files. It's just the c drive of my windows and programs.