Default 500GB External HDD connected to TV USB

Hi, a question about a USB HDD connected to a TV... amperages not same.
    I cannot connect the HDD to the TV because the TV is in Bandung, West Java and I live in Dunedin NZ. I intend sending the HDD in an enclosure as a birthday gift to a friend in Bandung.
    Here's the details. Her TV is not a name brand like Veon or Sony etc, it is Changhong. Very hard to get User Manual and Specs info on Google.

Ok...the USB input port on her TV is rated at 5v 500mA............ the HDD is 5v 700ma......... presumably the HDD requires to pull 700mA to work and the max available from the TV is 500mA. Can the TV supply the HDD with its required 700mA for it to function?

Here is some info I got from googling an answer: asterisks I aded to show my thinking. This info is for a laptop charger cable.

Amperage
    Many people are confused by amperage ratings and what they mean when it comes to power supplies and replacements.

****** The amperage rating is the maximum amount of power it can supply.

One way to look at it is as if amperage were “taken” (often referred to as “drawn”, as in pulling) by the device being powered. That device will only draw as much amperage as it needs to perform whatever it’s doing. Your computer will use more power, in the form of higher amperage draw, when it’s working hard than when it’s not. (Voltage remains the same regardless.)

Thus, as long as you replace your power supply with one capable of providing as much or more amps than the previous supply, you’ll be fine.

If for some reason your replacement power supply has a lower-than-required maximum amperage rating, you may end up with a burnt out or overheating power supply, and the device itself may not function.

Summary
    In short, when replacing an external power supply or charger:

Make sure the voltage matches.
    ******Make sure the new power supply is rated to provide the same amperage or more.
    Make sure the connectors match, both in physical form and in polarity.

From this link
    https://askleo.com/can_i_use_a_charg...rent_amperage/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81465106_640648646675790_8648298249750315008_n YOLLA USB.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	10149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDD 700mv.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	10150  

Default Re: 500GB External HDD connected to TV USB

It probably won't work. Most likely it'll just not have enough power to function, but if the usb port is poorly designed it could potentially damage the port.

The other thing to consider is what file systems the TV can handle and make sure the drive is formatted using one of them.
    Might be safer to just stick with a thumb drive.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    It probably won't work. Most likely it'll just not have enough power to function, but if the usb port is poorly designed it could potentially damage the port.

The other thing to consider is what file systems the TV can handle and make sure the drive is formatted using one of them.
    Might be safer to just stick with a thumb drive.
    dugimodo
    hi and thanks. I not sure what file sytems her TV will support. She sent me a pic showing a video that her TV plays from a thumb drive. Vid format is .mkv but if the thumb drive is NTDS/FAT32 oe ExFat I do not show. She can figure that when she has the drive. I know the drive will work in her computer/laptop in NTFS or FAT32 and if necessary she can send media from that to a thumbdrive to use in her TV.

Cheers

garry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yolla thunb drive.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	10151  

The TV will need 2 USB ports to power it and need a supporting cable

I use a HP Pocket Drive with a older Samsung TV that has 2 USB ports and needs 2 to function http://www.gefest.com.au/showproduct.php?productid=7568

Check with her if there is more than 1 USB port

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    The TV will need 2 USB ports to power it and need a supporting cable

I use a HP Pocket Drive with a older Samsung TV that has 2 USB ports and needs 2 to function http://www.gefest.com.au/showproduct.php?productid=7568

Check with her if there is more than 1 USB port
    Lawrence
    Hi and thanks. I could get the Specs on the TV Make and Model she has and all it showed for Media was USB 1 Port

This link to the Changhong TV LED Model # 19898 is all I can get for it from Google

https://productz.com/en/changhong-led19868-tv

Thanks

Garry

Older by the minute

Because of the difficulty of the known specs, I would format the external HDD as Fat32, runs on most if not all TVs. Any videos I would ensure they were either .mp4 or .avi. Some TVs don't want to know .mkv..

What you need is something like a WD TV media player or the equivalent that is around today that has a USB connection and powered

Had a Media player(think it was Asus something) years ago before Tv's had USB ports and was connected with composite video cables,the HDD was plugged into this

What about a Chromecast? or is this not suitable for your friend