Default It's the twelfth day

Time to take down and put away all the Christmas decorations as today is the Twelfth Day of Christmas.

The 12 days of Christmas, in fact, are the days from December 25th, celebrated as the birth of Jesus Christ, to the Epiphany, celebrated on January 6th as the day when the manifestation of Christ's glory was realised. ... Some exchange gifts on each of the 12 days instead of only on Christmas day.

Here's hoping that you had a good Chrissy and that you received plenty of prezzies. Now it's time to get back to reality.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: It's the twelfth day

Just a holiday for me and reality is overrated.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

All my invisible friends went to oz for a bbq. More than 12 days, and she's not cut yet.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Another Pagan festival stolen and rebadged how unoriginal

Historical evidence suggests that Jesus, the person, was born in the springtime (assuming you accept the story in the first place)

The two most notable pagan winter holidays were Germanic Yule and Roman Saturnalia. Christian missionaries gave these holidays a makeover and they are now known to us as Christmas.

Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture, liberation and time (and parties!), was celebrated at what is perhaps the most famous of the Roman festivals, the Saturnalia, It was a time of feasting, role reversals, free speech, gift-giving and revelry. (read: gender-bending sex, drinking, telling people off, trading gifts and doing whatever you want).

Nordic countries use Yule to describe their own Christmas with its religious rites, but also for the holidays of this season. Present-day customs such as the Yule log, Yule goat, Yule boar, Yule singing, and others stem from the original pagan Yule, but are used in Christmas celebrations now, especially within Europe. Yule was traditionally celebrated three days after Midwinter, but shifted to reflect Christian dates.

Santa Claus’s primarily based on St. Nicholas, a Fourth Century Lycian bishop from modern-day Turkey. Ol’ Nicky wasn’t a bad guy. One story says that he met a kind, impoverished man who had three daughters. St. Nick presented all three of them with dowries so that they weren’t forced into a life of prostitution, as dowries were expected to “pay off” families to take on the daughters.

Sinterklaas is the Dutch figure and Odin is the Norse god that Santa resembles. It wasn’t just Santa or men who did the gift-giving in those myths. There’s also the legend of La Befana, a kind Italian woman who leaves treats for children on the “Good” list

While people rarely show any excitement around the fruit-laden cakes these days, they were a real treat in times of yore.

Those cakes of Egypt were just about as dense and long-lasting as the brandied, fruit-studded cakes of today.

Caroling actually began as the Germanic and Norse traditions of wassailing. Wassailers went from home to home, drunk off of their asses, singing to their neighbors and celebrating their “good health.” Well, except for the hangovers.

Mistletoe was considered a magical plant in Europe, especially among the Druids and Vikings, and holds significance in Native American cultures.

Romans loved wreaths and decorated everything with Laurel. Holly, ivy and evergreen are the more popular modern options today, and each one holds significance.
    However, the advent of holly decor was around long before Christianity. Pre-Christian pagan groups believed that the Holly King did battle with the Oak King. They also thought holly could drive off evil spirits.

Romans, of course, were into laurel wreaths, but laurel was not easily procured throughout the northern reaches of the empire. Instead of laurel, they used evergreens.
    Ex-pctek

copy & pasting should be banned.

so should all religion
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    copy & pasting should be banned.
    pctek, aka piroska - our learned erudite poster is renowned for this offending. Personally I don't care all that much, but I think it good form to acknowledge the source and/or author instead of passing off as one's own work

Here's the orginal work:

Click HERE ... CHRISTMAS ISN’T CHRISTIAN: THE PAGAN ROOTS OF THE WINTER HOLIDAY By Laurel Dickman
    Last edited by WalOne; 07-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen