Thread: RAM upgrade?

Default RAM upgrade?

Hi all, Happy new year!

Win 10 64bit, MB is ASUS Maximus VIII Hero. CPU is i7 6700K.
    I have 16GB RAM.
    I often have many programs open at the same time including some (presumably) memory intensive ones like audio editing and I often find things are a bit sluggish. Especially when switching between programs and browser tabs.
    Task manager usually shows memory usage above 90%. CPU usage is high-iish at around 60%, depending on what I am doing.

So I am thinking a RAM upgrade may improve the sluggishness - or is it possible the bottleneck may be partly CPU too, or SDD/HD? Apart from task manager, is there any other diagnostics I can do to find out where the bottleneck might be?

I currently have, I think 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM. If I upgrade, is it best to buy the same again and use all 4 slots? Or is it best to replace what I have and buy 2 x 16GB sticks? (assuming I can get for this MB, I haven't looked yet). If - if so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: RAM upgrade?

Make sure the speeds are the same, They’ll be something like 2400,2800. And yes if your motherboard supports it you can just add another 2x8 or 2x16 sets of ram.

If only 2 slots then You’ll have to replace your 2x8 with 2x16 or 2x32. And then You can go for as fast as your like/can afford.

It is not a bad thing to see memory heavily used. The OS will always try to maximise memory usage. Why wouldn't the OS want to do that?

I seriously doubt upping 16GB will make any noticeable difference. But, it is your money!

You mention SSD/HD. Does this mean you have an SSD for your C: drive? If not, this would be my first upgrade.

Have you run Userbenchmark or Cinebench? to see where your comp stands

Do run XMP profile for your ram?,16 Gigs should be enough the money spent for extra ram would be better spent on a Samsung 970 M2 drive
    Last edited by Lawrence; 06-01-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

If you're not running an SSD I'd upgrade to one as well as looking at upgrading to faster memory modules. For me personally, if I was in your situation I'd go with 2x 16GB modules running at least 3200Mhz (which your board supports).

As for the CPU being a bottleneck... I'd say unlikely but the 6700K is now 3 Gens behind so maybe in another year (or maybe even 6 months) a CPU upgrade may be in order... I wouldn't go down the CPU upgrade track right now as the Intel stuff is still pretty pricey but if you're willing to swap platforms and go AMD... then that's an entirely different story... Ryzen is kicking @$$ at the moment and is very affordable... so there are lots of CPU options for you going forward if you don't see an improvement after a SSD and memory upgrade. That is of course if you're not too worried about swapping from the LG115x to AM4 platform.

Cheers,

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Could also be a software issue slowing things down. Browser tabs should switch pretty quickly unless you have really a lot of them open. I have had 20 or more open at once with 16GB of RAM and switching between them was not sluggish at all. (not something I normally do but coincidentally a recent occurrence). What anti virus do you use? I have found some of them really interfere with browsing speed.

Test the browser speed without the rest of the programs open, then if it's ok start opening things one by one and see at what point it gets sluggish. If it's always sluggish it's not your RAM IMHO, if it only happens when you really load the system up then it might be.

For me personally I've never needed more than 16GB but I mostly game and might have a browser open in the background or something.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

VoidMaster

Type "winver" into 'run' dialogue and see what version of Win 10 you have, post back here.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    To answer a couple of points:
    Yes I do have a SSD as my main C drive, but I have separate regular HD as my data drives.
    @zqwerty It's version 1909 (Build 18363.535) - all Windows updates are done

Couple of other things for me to check with the benchmarking and tabs too, thanks for those tips