Default Using Macrium Reflect

I have installed V7.2. I did an Image backup. My ssd "C" drive of 97.39GB and "A" drive of 820.6GB. Total say 918GB. Backup to external WD 1TB Elements.

The backup took approximately 8 hours which seems somewhat excessive. Is this what would be expected or am I missing something.?
    Last edited by Pato; 02-01-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Default Re: Using Macrium Reflect

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    I have installed V7.2. I did an Image backup. My ssd "C" drive of 97.39GB and "A" drive of 820.6GB. Total say 918GB. Backup to external WD 1TB Elements.

The backup took approximately 8 hours which seems somewhat excessive. Is this what would be expected or am I missing something.?
    Do you have USB3 connection for your WD 1TB? Were you doing other stuff during the Macrium back-up?
    Depends also on the condition of the existing hard-drive (fragmentation; and how full they are) and what your machine capability is (RAM).

If Drive "A" has 820.6GB of data then yes that's about right. The general (unwritten) rule I use is 1 Hour Per 100GB, there's a few "if's" being drive its going to (USB 2 or 3 , SATA, Over a LAN) etc as well as the type of drive the backups going to, SSD or Mechanical, this effects the read/write speeds.

This Lounge PC takes approx 2 1/4 hours to do a full backup to a server on my network, average data 200GB.

This is full backups of course, if only doing Differentials its a fraction of the time.

A differential backup is similar to an incremental backup. However, rather than backing up the changes since the most recent backup, a differential backup will save changes made since the first/full backup.
    Example here's my Office PC over the last week. Fridays always the biggest, but tomorrow ( Friday) a new one will run and in two weeks the one dated 27th Dec will auto delete then the others one day at a time when they are replaced with new backups.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflect.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	10138

Reflect also compresses about 30% so that takes a bit of time as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-01-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If Drive "A" has 820.6GB of data then yes that's about right. The general (unwritten) rule I use is 1 Hour Per 100GB, there's a few "if's" being drive its going to (USB 2 or 3 , SATA, Over a LAN) etc as well as the type of drive the backups going to, SSD or Mechanical, this effects the read/write speeds.

Reflect also compresses about 30% so that takes a bit of time as well.
    Thanks for that info' which is very helpful. That puts my mind at rest. I intend to do a differential next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    Thanks for that info' which is very helpful. That puts my mind at rest. I intend to do a differential next time.
    "Just in Case" When doing differential make sure you DONT delete the Original ( large Backup) If you look at numbers on the backup, they are all the same except (1) (2) (3) etc. So if you had to use the backup, lets say number 2 (date created), then that's the one you put back, it will put back the differential as well as the original, making it upto date ( since that backup).

A new full backup will make a new Image (and ID) Example:

Name:	Backup_2.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	10140

If you needed to recover a file from the images, you double click the image, in the setting that appear select the following:

Name:	Enable.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	10139

Then it opens in Explorer and you can simply copy / paste back.

If you have Windows Pro, AND installed Viboot when installing Macrium, you can mount the image as a Virtual Machine with full desktop options ( the advanced settings allows for internet, and several other options)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Great. Much appreciated.

Macrium Reflect is brilliant! One feature I like is that you can easily restore a single partition, simply by deleting the faulty partition, and dragging a new partition from the backup to the empty space.
    Macrium will handle Linux, and Windows partitions.
    It will also completely rebuild the Windows loader. This is handy if you have moved Windows to another location, and it can't be found.

Yes, the boot loader repair can be very useful. Just cloned a C: drive to a SSD and found the SSD wouldn't boot. Macrium fixed it no trouble.