Default Non booting desktop

I have 2 desktops almost identical inside. One is working perfectly and has gone to live with a friends son who couldn't afford to buy anything for said son.

The other I set up at home (they were in storage for 2 years) This one will not boot, it gets to the Windows10 splash screen and no further, I have repaired the boot problem 3 times now and it goes for a week then drops out again. I haven't had time to do a proper system check yet but have spare hard drives and psu to try at some point if it points to either of them being the problem. New cmos battery was fitted and clock is up to date.

System is a dual core duo, P5KPL-CM motherboard, I did upgrade the BIOS this week to then latest available to no effect.

It runs fine if booted from a Linux flash drive hence my leaning towards it being a drive problem.

Default Re: Non booting desktop

Try this -- When it freezes, press and hold in the power button, on the 3rd go it should open in the repair options, troubleshoot - Advanced ( I think from memory) startup options, select #4 ( again from memory) safe mode, see if it boots, if it does, try again normally, OR open from search msconfig, Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft Services, untick everything else, reboot, this loads windows with only MS programs. if it boots OK then its one of the other programs installed that has been disabled.

If it doesn't boot in safe mode then theres more to try but get to that if needed. 1 thing at a time.

ALSO, being in storage for 2 years depending on which version of W10 is installed it may have reached end of life and need to be upgraded to a newer version

"IF" its a really old version they actually stop booting.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 31-12-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

VoidMaster

Re-seat the RAM, maybe the CPU as well. if they've been sitting for a while with no power applied, connections corrode and oxidize.

Had quite a number of older computers that were working perfectly get put on one side because a better one has come along, next time I try them after 3-4 months they won't boot, re-seat ram etc and away they go.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Win10 was updated November I think

Just pulled the side off the case and could hear the boot drive clicking so unplugged the data drive and can still hear the boot drive. Ran PClinux OS from a flash drive for half an hour and Gparted indicated a problem with the hard drive too.

Next problem it's too old to boot a USB3 flash drive so using the media creation tool to make an install on the only USB2 drive I have which I know works.

Will install WIN10 when done and see how we go to a new drive.

Not sure when will get to report back as we are going to drive from here through the Molesworth tomorrow and spend a night in Blenheim coming back Thursday night or at least that's the plan

Default Non booting desktop (Solved) I hope

Turns out it was a PCI addon SATA card causing all the problems

Default Re: Non booting desktop (Solved) I hope

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Turns out it was a PCI addon SATA card causing all the problems
    Awhhh the ol PCI card BUT shouldn't really have caused a problem if it were installed previously and working unless it decided it was time to give up the ghost.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

No idea, binned it and all is good in the world

Dual booting this one now with Win10 and PCLinux OS. I'm liking the Linux part so far finding it much better looking than the Mint everyone else uses and the computer seems to be rock solid again.