Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: What a load of rubbish!

I've come across more rubbish of a similar vein. We have been given a 2020 calendar and all the months and days of the week have maori names!

What? You mean the maoris had days of the week and months of the year? The only thing they had names for were the different seasons. All these names of the days and months are something someone has made up. Next thing you know they'll have maori names for holidays such as Easter and Christmas as if they celebrated these holidays before the white man came and taught them religion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: What a load of rubbish!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Next thing you know they'll have maori names for holidays such as Easter and Christmas as if they celebrated these holidays before the white man came and taught them religion.

Oh, they've already done that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	10141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	10142
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

About 40 years ago they used to teach that Moriori where here first and were separate from Maori, That's no longer the case. For a long time now it's been considered likely they either migrated with the rest of Maori and stopped at the Chathams or came here first then moved to the Chathams. In Essence they are a seperate Maori tribe and culture with the same roots. It's easy to find if you look for it. https://thespinoff.co.nz/atea/03-08-...still-with-us/

But basically Maori were here first and there's no evidence to the contrary that has been substantiated.

This thread is really surprising to me, why do any of you care if some people speak the native language of our country. How does it do you any harm and why get your nose bent out of shape over it?
    And whether you admit it or not it is part of NZ culture. I don't speak Maori, I'm not always comfortable around Maori, but it's this thread that is a load of rubbish.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    But basically Maori were here first and there's no evidence to the contrary that has been substantiated.
    Really, are you sure?

Have a read of THIS

The word on the street is that the Carbon Dating of some archeological findings show that NZ was inhabited some 500years prior to Maori.

Seems the publication of the findings would spoil successive Governments wishes.

Anyway, I look forward to you explaining to me what is going on here.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Given that neither I nor you know what's in the document it's just speculation, and regardless has no bearing on the Moriori and falls into the unsubstantiated category.

If the celts were ever here they didn't survive so it's pretty much irrelevant
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

This thread is really surprising to me, why do any of you care if some people speak the native language of our country. How does it do you any harm and why get your nose bent out of shape over it? And whether you admit it or not it is part of NZ culture. I don't speak Maori, I'm not always comfortable around Maori, but it's this thread that is a load of rubbish.
    It's not like I start melting whenever someone speaks a language I don't.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Old guy

This thread is really surprising to me, why do any of you care if some people speak the native language of our country. How does it do you any harm and why get your nose bent out of shape over it?
    And whether you admit it or not it is part of NZ culture. I don't speak Maori, I'm not always comfortable around Maori, but it's this thread that is a load of rubbish.
    I do not think anyone disagrees with what you say there Dugimodo. What does get peoples backs up is having the powers that be trying to change names that have been in common use by stealth. (I very much doubt that apart from a few in the Bay of Plenty anyone new there was a Maori name for White Island) If one is speaking English it is wrong to throw in names or phrases which are not in common use.

The other major problem as I understand it is that there is, inspite of academic attempts to introduce it, there is no standard Maori language anyway. Customs and language vary from family group to family group let alone between tribal groupings. That is one of the main problems trying to negotiate with them.

Gone

As somebody that is of Maori decent I find some of what I have read in this quite offensive.

Are you going to make a scene about about somebody speaking a different language to you? Itís not just Maori, some different venues have announcements in different languages such as Dutch, Chinese, Indian to and Japanese to name a few.

Should we start bitching and moaning about having announcements in other languages on public transport systems or any other venues?

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I've come across more rubbish of a similar vein. We have been given a 2020 calendar and all the months and days of the week have maori names!

What? You mean the maoris had days of the week and months of the year? The only thing they had names for were the different seasons. All these names of the days and months are something someone has made up. Next thing you know they'll have maori names for holidays such as Easter and Christmas as if they celebrated these holidays before the white man came and taught them religion.

I pulled out the local council rubbish collection calendar and notice this year that the months are in Maori / English this year. Guess someone at the council got a big promotion for this or we paid a consultant lots of money to come up with it.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by QW. View Post
    As somebody that is of Maori decent I find some of what I have read in this quite offensive.

Are you going to make a scene about about somebody speaking a different language to you? It’s not just Maori, some different venues have announcements in different languages such as Dutch, Chinese, Indian to and Japanese to name a few.

Should we start bitching and moaning about having announcements in other languages on public transport systems or any other venues?
    Some different venues have announcements in different languages because the announcements are aimed at people who don't speak English. But what is the point of announcements in maori when very few maori understand the language and the ones that do are also fluent in English. Besides, there was not a maori on the train. You'd be more likely to find Dutch, Chinese, Indian and Japaneses on board. It's just tokenism pure and simple and completely unnecessary. As I said before, what a load of rubbish!
    Last edited by Roscoe; 03-01-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.