Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: System image problem - Win 10 drivers?

although the VM is logically separate, it must be using underlying Windows facilities to some degree - or am I missing something?
    Nope you are right.

A VM on its own is useless, it needs an OS (saying it that way as it can be Windows, Linux or MAC) to run the actual VM Program (Hyper-V or VMWare as an example).

If you are using Windows Home (as the main OS) then you cant use Hyper-V, thats part of Professional, Server etc, so you need a third party VM Program.

I think the next thing to do is to try a system image using the windows facility from both the VM and the successfully updated build and see what happens there.
    That line -- Are you actually trying to create a Image within the VM OR is it the VM "part" of the overall Image Eg: host OS + VM
    ?
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks WT. I'm using Win10 pro, but I don't want to go down thw hyper-V route yet, as I want to solve this problem without complicating things further.

I'm planning to do a system image within the VM that won't update, and also within the OS of the successfully updated build. If the first one fails then it is further confirmation of an underlying problem, and if the second one fails then I'm totally confused!
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

There is one thing that comes to mind -- What VErsion of VMWare are you using. ??Older versions are not compatible with W10, then throw in Insider builds that are even more advanced and its a recipe for problems. You want to be using VMWare 15.5 at least.

BUT theres a catch - from the VMWare forum
    Workstation 15.x supports the latest Win 10 hosts. However, Workstation 14 and newer require newer CPU hardware
    This is another reason for using Hyper-V, its inbuilt in Windows (Pro and above) and is designed to work with what ever version you are using.

- VMWare sh1t iutself with errorsFrom the VMWare Forums - regarding the need to use the newer VMWare other wise there's often problems with 1903 onwards (read as similar to your problems)

And now for my rant. Yeah, understand that this is a VMWARE ISSUE NOT A MICROSOFT ISSUE!!! And what I mean by that is that there isn't anything wrong from the Windows end, but from the VMware end! VMware developers intentionally program this into all older versions of VMware in an attempt to force you to purchase another version of VMware!!! That kind of shady programming should be illegal! Fortunately, this can be bypassed using the Readiness Tool instructions in my previous post, but understand this will never be "patched" because the VMware developers intentionally put this into the code to begin with!!! So much for their "good" reputation, am I right?
    Source dated July 2019 https://communities.vmware.com/thread/614281

Edited: Just tried to install VMWare 12 on 1909 - VMWare sh1t its self with errors. So downloading 15.5 now.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    There is one thing that comes to mind -- What VErsion of VMWare are you using. ??
    I'm using VMware workstation 15.5.1
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.