Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default System image problem - Win 10 drivers?

And we're back! But for how long? Happy Christmas/New Year, everybody.

This is a bit long, so please be patient.
    My main PC has Windows 10 pro, + Win 10 insider multi-booted and also Win 10 insider on a VM.

I regularly take a system image from the main PC, stored on an external hard drive. The last time I tried I got the attached message. I tried a couple of times with the same result. Looking at the message:

It says "there was a failure compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location" (which is the external hard drive). It also says the volume does not contain a recognised file system. This cannot be true of the actual external drive as I managed to do a general backup to it the same day. Maybe it is referring to the "virtual hard disk".

Now to complicate things further:

My attempts to install the latest insider build failed on both the VM and the multi-booted installation. They both also spawned error 0x80780151, which makes me think there is a problem with the underlying hardware. The install was OK on another PC (ironically, much older and slower).

I searched for the error code 0x80780151 and it seems to refer to possible driver problems. So the question is:

How do I troubleshoot this to identify and fix the problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system image.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	10134
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: System image problem - Win 10 drivers?

Welcome Back - for how long yeah, who knows

Assuming you are using the inbuilt Windows backup ??

Dont use that anymore, moved onto Macrium Reflect ( free version works perfectly fine) , because one of its good features is you can install ViBoot when installing and this allows you to run a backup as a VM, plus its a lot easier to extract out files if you need to. Also use it now to do automatic daily backups to the server from all PC's.

The problem more than likely will be a corruption someplace in the Volume Shadow copy Service.

If it were me, I'd try Macrium Then if that fails as well, use the Volume Shadow Copy repair module ( never had to use it but its under Other Tasks - Fix VSS Problems) and try again.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Hi WT, long time no speak!
    Yes I am using the builtin system image. What makes me think it is not just that is what I said in the later part of the post, that I had two insider installs fail on the same hardware as I am doing the system image- one in a VM and one in a multi-boot Win 10, all with the same error code.
    I've never had a problem with the standard system image up till now.

error 0x80780151 relates to the Volume shadow copy services, the point that an update may not install could simply be a coincidence, or could be due to the Shadow Copy being off or corrupted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-5b98f1d1e21a

the following page is relating to the problem if Macrium has it, but the repair of the Shadow Copy is listed, have a read. (Towards the bottom of the page) http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50010.aspx

Don't know where that error points to a general driver ?? The error message posted is really only generic. looked it up and everything I found points the above 0x80780151.

Maybe you looking somewhere different Some sites go off on a tangent with a different error code. In the link above it says "copy-on-write driver that intercepts disk writes before they actually happen" Which is a corrupted shadow Copy.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Still live after two days - this is clearly the age of wonders.
    I was half way through doing a post yesterday when I got distracted, forgot all about it and then later closed the browser - d'oh! So now I have to remember what I was saying...

The reason I think there may be some common underlying problem is that I have 3 systems sharing the same hardware - 2 multi-booted and one VM, and I have been getting the same error code on each of them, two when I try to install a new insider build and one when I try the system image.

I checked VSCS and file history and set them to automatic (they were manual), and the system image failed again. I did the same on the VM and tried the build 19536 again, and that failed too with the same error.

I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect, and then successfully did a system image to the external hard drive, which appears to solve one problem, but doesn't explain what is going on in the other systems.

Hm, interesting...

Looking at my configuration, I see that the VM and the multi-booted systems are on the same physical disk. So I cleared some space off another disk and copied the VM files there. When I tried to update the new location to 19041 it failed in exactly the same way. It fails on boot at the first restart.

I don't know if the fact that the install was copied rather than being brand new is an issue, so the next step is to do a clean install to an new VM and try again.
    Last edited by Tony; 10-01-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    A
    I regularly take a system image from the main PC, stored on an external hard drive.
    Why?
    You are imaging all the clutter and problems every time.

I always do an image early on, with a clean fresh install.
    Then backup documents, photos etc....separately.

I may do another image later, if things have changed a lot....but I start with restoring the clean image...updating new things - printers, drivers or whatever, then do another.

A bit more tedious, but that way I always have a clean image, no junk.
    Bloat is a common cause of slow machines if nothing else....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Why?
    You are imaging all the clutter and problems every time.
    Not always, depends on what imaging software you are using and how you use it / Setup.

Macrium for example you can make a Full Image (like normal) then the Differentials are only whats changed since the original Image, this way you have the clean full image and can either put everything back (from the Differentials ) or open the them and copy back what data you want.

Since Win10 is so easy to reinstall from scratch I have given up making images and now just backup my data

Leaving the system image appropriateness issue to one side for the moment, There have been developments with the system updates.
    I did a clean install of build 19035 to the multi-booted partition, then did an update. That updated to 19541 OK - woohoo! However I also did a clean install to a new VM and that failed as before.
    The successful install was to the original disk, so that says to me there is no actual disk problem. The failing VM was to a separate physical disk. That tells me that the problem is somewhere in my overall Windows environment, as although the VM is logically separate, it must be using underlying Windows facilities to some degree - or am I missing something?

I think the next thing to do is to try a system image using the windows facility from both the VM and the successfully updated build and see what happens there.