Default 3rd Gen Ryzen and RAM _ Does Speed really matter? Interesting article :D

Shame I couldn't get my 16GB DDR4 G-Skill FlareX 2933MHz CL16 to run above 2400Mhz out of the box, and Jason doesn't mention having to OC to get 3200MHz or 3600MHz blazing away My G-Skill RAM is still at 2400MHz because any setting above that gives BSOD and doesn't boot to Windows.
    However, this is very informative video from the man who could sell snow to an eskimo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloyuBw_E_0
    Last edited by kioti; 11-12-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Default Re: 3rd Gen Ryzen and RAM _ Does Speed really matter? Interesting article :D

Or for those who hate sitting through videos and just what to jump to the point:

https://www.wepc.com/tips/ram-speed/

Scroll to Conclusion....
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: 3rd Gen Ryzen and RAM _ Does Speed really matter? Interesting article :D

piroska
    hi. xcllnt link, I read 50% and then scrolled to conclusion because I see-hear better and hate reading

Cheers

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Really depends on what you're doing... if you're a gamer, 16GB is more than enough with the speed sweet spot being 3200MHz... assuming your CPU/motherboard supports it of course.

If you're doing something like video editing/encoding or anything that has large data set which needs to be loaded into memory and/or is CPU intensive etc. then more RAM would be better so 32GB and up along with a CPU that can handle that kind of workload though I would still say 16GB is likely enough for "normal" every day workloads.

I recently went from 32GB of memory (G-Skill 2400MHz) to 16GB (2400MHz)... donated half of my system memory to Wifey's computer and I haven't noticed any kind of difference in performance (good or bad) when gaming or video editing/encoding but to be fair I'm not editing/encoding 4K RED footage at 1440p.

I am however, using an NVMe M.2 (PCI Express) drive for my OS and I also have my games installed on a separate M.2 NVMe (PCI Express) drive (both 1TB) along with a separate 512GB SATA III SSD for a bit of storage.... I recently moved most of my data to a 4 bay NAS so no mechanical drives in the system at all.

So I would say amount of RAM (at 3200MHz) would matter if you had a heavy workload requiring a large amount of data to be loaded into memory but you could get away with a decent sized SSD/NVMe drive which would facilitate faster page file swapping. Unless you're working with excessively large video or workstation type workloads anything above 16GB at 3200MHz will not seem apparent at all....for "gamers" you'd want a GPU that has 6GB or higher off GDDR5/6 if you wanted to "improve" game responsiveness as these run at high speeds than DDR4.

Cheers,

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M