Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is this Spark modem?

Hi

I have just moved into a new house and please excuse my lack of technical lingo. I need to get broadband signed up and the previous people have left the existing modem from Spark which is one that plugs directly into the cabinet as pictured. Can I sign up with Vodafone and use this or do I have to stick with Spark?

And if I do sign up with Spark online will they know to just create an account in my name with the plan I choose and leave all the hardware as is? I don't want to be sent a new modem to find it doesnt work with all the existing wiring in the house etc and cause more problems.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modem.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	10122  

Default Re: What is this Spark modem?

Vodafone will need a new modem, spark would likely send you one as well but you could use the existing one if you prefer.
    There should be no issues with house wiring wither way.

Just bite the bullet and request broadband from your preferred ISP, whatever issues you might have should be minor. Also there can be a bit of a delay, especially with Xmas looming.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by swazi View Post
    Hi

I have just moved into a new house and please excuse my lack of technical lingo. I need to get broadband signed up and the previous people have left the existing modem from Spark which is one that plugs directly into the cabinet as pictured. Can I sign up with Vodafone and use this or do I have to stick with Spark?

And if I do sign up with Spark online will they know to just create an account in my name with the plan I choose and leave all the hardware as is? I don't want to be sent a new modem to find it doesnt work with all the existing wiring in the house etc and cause more problems.

Thanks
    Yep. When you sign a contract with ISPs they send you a free new router anyway. It should be all configured for you, just plug it in. FWIW we found the contracts with 2Degrees cheaper and they have good broadband services, the other is Big Pipe but they only provide online support, no landline, Big Pipe is owned by Spark FYI.

We found Vodafone more expensive but yes they should send you a free router anyway, they are maybe good if you are after Sky TV as well.

Ok, thanks very much guys. I just hadn't seen a modem like this which physically plugs itself in at the base. Anyway, I will just sign up and as usual. Thanks.

Hi I need to get broadband signed up and the previous people have left the existing modem from Spark which is one that plugs directly into the cabinet as pictured. Can I sign up with Vodafone and use this or do I have to stick with Spark?
    You can sign up with anyone, just because people left hardware does not mean you must use them. Do you use the same petrol station as the previous owner when you buy a used car?

If the modem is compatible with what broadband you want - ie, Fibre, then you can use it. You would of course need to chnage the settings on it.
    We did this, used an old spark modem with Voyager settings.

The landline part was the only tricky bit, but instructions are on their websites....not that hard.

Of course if the modem is an old one and you want a different broadband technology, you will need a new one.

Generally they send one anyway, so who cares what the previous people left...except they dumped their junk on you, bit rude.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Do you use the same petrol station as the previous owner when you buy a used car?
    hahahahaha......nice analogy.

Hi

Thanks
    That Spark modem can only be used with Spark. Login and password hard coded.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

How do you know? Looks like mine.
    Ex-pctek

The only difficulty might be if you are in a new subdivision like Pegasus in Nth Canty, which I understand to be monopolised by one ISP (Vodafone). I don't know whether Spark has any arrangements like that, but I raise the possibility because to my untutored eye that is an unusual way to set up a router in a cabinet - it looks kind of permanent.

BTW, in response to your original question, the router looks like mine, which I think is a Huawei 659b. I can't check because I am away from home. Mine was provided by Spark for a fibre plan.

Is there an ONT box somewhere, either in the cabinet or on a wall somewhere. It will have a power connection, and an Ethernet cable to the router.
    Last edited by John H; 11-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.