Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default New CD player needed to hook up with existing speakers - not confident!

For many years we used a marvellous Kenwood 5 disc CD player (inc separate radio, etc). However, unfortunately it has now given up the ghost. Back in the day, I was lucky enough to walk into Hardly Normal for a couple of cheap speakers at just the time they had heavily reduced Wharfedale speakers - from $650 to $150!! I am not confident now on how to proceed, my knowledge of how music playing 'works' these days is minimal. We have flirted with the idea of getting one of the few 5 disc players still available, however realise that we would probably be fine with a single disc player and will join Spotify to get music on our cellphones for wider variety.

The thing is, that when we are at home, we would still like to use our Wharfedale speakers. So, we need a unit so that we can do so. Additionally, assuming we join Spotify, then it would be good to play the tunes on that through the speakers. Has anyone any ideas on this please?

For away from home, we realise that we will need to get one of those small devices to route our cellphones through for sound.
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: New CD player needed to hook up with existing speakers - not confident!

Pretty hard to advise as there are lots of options out there

Back in the winter my NAD L70 gave up the ghost which played DVD'd Cd's but rarely used feature,so what I got was a Yamaha Receiver(used) which has the ability to interface with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Android for playback as well as Digital Internet Radio which V Tuner Service was in bedded (40,0000) stations $4.00 a year ,internet Radio is what I most listen too

Best to look around in stores to see what features are available for the make of receiver which you can add your speakers and what ever you have too

Just to add this unit is integrated with TV as well as a Wharfedale full Home Theatre system
    Last edited by Lawrence; 08-12-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: New CD player needed to hook up with existing speakers - not confident!

I have a seperate amp that drives my Q speakers and is attached to a single CD player an the TV so the amp interfaces with everything. However its old and does not do bluetooth or wifi but then since we don't bother with any streaming services its not a problem

pcsourcepoint

Spotify Premium is what I use with a assortment of different size bluetooth speakers. Hand Held to large floor speaker. Threw out our Panasonic 5 disc mid size stereo and speakers after some were priced less than 10 dollars at Cash Converters. Spotify has millions of songs, and the auto playlist feature and weekly radar pick list., Also can save music/playlists to mobile phone. Discovery with minimal effort many new songs and artists...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Son doesn't have a stereo anymore. He does have this huge stand alone speaker, it's bluetooth I think, they play music from their phones (mostly) through it, or laptops and such.
    Or it's wifi, not sure...
    However, normal speakers still connect to some device with the usual cables...still.
    Ex-pctek

The main thing to think about (if the speakers are wired) is the ohmage. The output from the amplifier needs to be the same (or close) as the speakers. Eight ohm is usual. For optimal performance they need to be correct.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

You need to tell us what you actually have.

A separate amp I presume ?
    If so, just plug the new CD player in using the same RCA cables .
    Another option is to use an old DVD player for CD's .

Or was the old CD player an all-in-1 unit , with inbuilt amp and radio ?

You shouldnt need to worry about the ohm rating or power rating of the Warfdales, unless you crank them to party level volumes .

So many methods, myself I ripped my whole collection to lossless format years ago and use a small PC plugged into my amplifier to play them back. I keep a second copy of it all as MP3s to use on the phone, in the car, etc.

But maybe the easiest thing is just replace the CD player as suggested. I got a Blu ray player from a local charity shop for $15, really no value in old DVD / Blu Ray / CD players now and they all play CDs
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Ex-pctek - thanks

Roscoe - thanks

1101 - The Kenwood is a tower of 4 units - all connected

Stereo Integrated Amplifier A-H5 -- seems fine

Tuner/Graphic Equaliser C-H51 -- working fine

Multiple Compact Disc Player DP-MH5 -- not working

Stereo Double Cassette Deck -- hasn't worked for years

Hope that gives the info you asked for?
    Last edited by Misty; 09-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Are they actually all separate units or joined together internally?