Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Trouble updating Windows 10 to 1909

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

For the past month, I've been having some significant issues trying to update my PC to the latest version on Windows 10. The current version I have installed is 1803.

For a time, the windows updater was telling me that version 1903 was available to download, so i clicked download.

The download would get as far as around 88% or so before failing. I can't remember what the error message was.

Eventually the windows updater said that a feature update to 1909 was available, so i clicked download to get this update. This however failed like the attempt to install 1903.

I attempted to use the Windows Update Assistant that was geared for installing version 1903 at the time. It recognized that i had 1803 and that 1903 was available to download.

It went through its download procedure, and got all the way to rebooting several times and getting to 60% complete before the following message appeared

Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation”.

I have tried several times, but the update failed at the same point each time.

I gave it a break for a time as I read that version 1909 was being rolled out soon and waited for the Windows Update Assistant to be able to update to 1909.

The exact same issue I experienced trying to install 1903 occurred with 1909.

I have tried the various solutions both offered by Microsoft from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-update-errors and through various google searches, but I am still stuck on 1803. This includes running the update troubleshooter, deleting the software distribution folder contents and rebooting.

The built-in update troubleshooter tells me that there aren’t any issues with the update services etc, and now clicking on check for updates tells me that my PC is up to date and that there are no updates available.

I have also tried installing the update via an in-place upgrade, but this fails also with an error message saying “0xC1900101 – 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation”.

Short of reinstalling Windows (which I don’t want to do if i can avoid it), I’m out of ideas at this point, and look to be stuck on 1803.

Any help/ideas welcome at this point.

Thanks.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Default Re: Trouble updating Windows 10 to 1909

Several things to try, all of the following when it applies.

*Uninstall Any Antivirus you have installed, Avast is KNOWN to cause upgrade problems.
    *Check you have a minimum of 20GB spare space on the hard Drive. (Very important & a MUST)
    *Unplug all USB devices with of the exception of the Keyboard and Mouse.
    *If you have dual monitors unplug all except one.
    *If connected Via wireless then connect via Ethernet
    *Open Disk Cleanup - run it, select Clean System Files Button, cleanout the system.

DO THIS.

Open A command prompt as Admin, run the command sfc /scannow

Also Run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After rebooting, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 Download and run the latest Media creation tool ( the old one wont work)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Several things to try, all of the following when it applies.

*Uninstall Any Antivirus you have installed, Avast is KNOWN to cause upgrade problems.
    *Check you have a minimum of 20GB spare space on the hard Drive. (Very important & a MUST)
    *Unplug all USB devices with of the exception of the Keyboard and Mouse.
    *If you have dual monitors unplug all except one.
    *If connected Via wireless then connect via Ethernet
    *Open Disk Cleanup - run it, select Clean System Files Button, cleanout the system.

DO THIS.

Open A command prompt as Admin, run the command sfc /scannow

Also Run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After rebooting, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 Download and run the latest Media creation tool ( the old one wont work)

I have ESET Nod 32 installed, still uninstall it?
    214GB spare space
    Everything but kb and mouse connected (external drive have power disconnected)
    Dual monitor cause issues? will unplug the secondary
    Ethernet is not an option.

will run those command prompts
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    I have ESET Nod 32 installed, still uninstall it?
    214GB spare space
    Everything but kb and mouse connected (external drive have power disconnected)
    Dual monitor cause issues? will unplug the secondary
    Ethernet is not an option.

will run those command prompts
    Never had a problem with Eset, but if you want to simply disable it, ( right click the icon in the tray - Pause - Till reboot)

Dual monitors can sometimes cause a problem.

FYI- there was a problem with 1903 installing from a USB drive, as well as some SD card readers caused problem, sort in 1909.

Another task I do is go into the power Settings and make sure the computer wont go to sleep.

Edited: according to MS
    The most common failure is x30018, which generally means a driver crashed when we loaded it for the first time.
    Generally it wont be a MS related driver but some other third party software / Driver thats loading on boot up.

If it fails again, or you can look first, navigate to C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log Try to open the Setuperr.log, "IF" it allows you to open there will be the cause of teh failure listed under ERROR. If it wont then there are ways to read it but require a bit of mucking about.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-12-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Running the command prompts didnt come back with any errors or anything to fix.

Now running the Media creation tool, and will pause til reboot for Eset.

We'll see how this goes.

Running the command prompts didnt come back with any errors or anything to fix.
    Not always, you see with the DISM commands it simply fixes anything it finds.

As mentioned before if it fails again you will need to look in the setuperr.log and it will tell you exactly whats causing the problem.

So it failed again with the exact same error message.

I cant seem to find the setuperr.log file

VoidMaster

Try this below, then search for setuperr.log file:

Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
    Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
    Click the “View” tab.
    Scroll down a bit and change the “Hidden files and folders” setting to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives“

Reverse this procedure after you are finished finding and reading the log, so the files, folders etc will be hidden again.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

So it failed again with the exact same error message.

I cant seem to find the setuperr.log file
    Quick way -- Open from desktop - This PC. OR from Task Bar File Explorer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Files_Explorer.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	10115

Once open from the Tab VIEW, tick hidden Items

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hidden.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	10116

Then all your hidden files /folders will be visible.

Trying to update mt granddaughters school laptop to 1909. Started OK but for the past hour has been sitting on downloading 99%. Will wait another hour then reboot and try again.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company