Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    1,816

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You only have one choice, some form of Linux.

    Good luck on finding real help when you need it, most of the linux forums lead you around the garden path and dont actually supply an answer.
    Ahem.
    Not true at all.
    I have found 95% of the time, google helped me enough. As in never mind a solution, but step by step, for idiots instructions on what to do/what to type into terminal etc.

    Can't get more extensive help than that.

    Yes I have had help here, it was good. But also geekzone. And Linux Mint forum also. That is really helpful. People tell you how to send more info to them, if need be, how to do whatever it is you need to do.

    Haven't been stuck for long since I started.
    The only downside, I am not getting much troubleshooting experience (which is an excellent way to learn an o/s), because I have had so few issues.
    Ex-pctek

  2. #12
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,115

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_24 View Post

    I'm still learning but definitely trying to avoid Windows 10 as much as possible, mostly because I think it looks awful. I don't want my desktop computer to look like a Play-Skool toy where all the buttons are three inches wide.
    Do you have the desktop set in tablet mode ?? Sounds like it.

    The default desktop in W10 with the exception of the taskbar not being transparent (like W7) looks exactly the same. Maybe a couple of Icons will be named differently example This PC instead of my Computer or Computer but thats it.

    Here's a desktop screen shot of one of the insider desktops ( same as every other version of W10), apart from a few programs I've installed ( shortcuts) theres no big buttons as described.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	10105
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  3. #13
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,115

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I have found 95% of the time, google helped me enough. As in never mind a solution, but step by step, for idiots instructions on what to do/what to type into terminal etc.

    Can't get more extensive help than that.
    Think about it ------ ANY problem people have the answer can be found on google, But how many ask in forums ????? Reason is people don't want to spend any time looking for something. As you'll know yourself, techs look up solutions for various problems all the time, any tech who says they don't is talking BS.

    As for actual help with linux -- yeah right have to disagree there. Sometimes when I was playing about with linux, try to get help after exhausting google searches , even from the places mentioned and all you get is some lame answer like "oh thats easy to fix" ( pointless answer) So you ask whats the solution ?? - they don't actually say, and google results either are all varied or useless.

    One of my Linux Servers went crook, tried to get help from various linux Forums for over a month - totally useless, ended up rescuing the data from it, install Server2012 - been running perfect ever since.

    Most of the time any sort of answer is reinstall the OS -- F**** off not a good option.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 04-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  4. #14
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,115

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_24 View Post
    T
    I'm still learning but definitely trying to avoid Windows 10 as much as possible, mostly because I think it looks awful. I don't want my desktop computer to look like a Play-Skool toy where all the buttons are three inches wide.
    Just adding to previous post, if you have tiles all over the desktop , large like described, its either in Tablet mode, OR you have turned on that option - which is in the Settings. To resolve, type Start in the search, open Start Settings - turn off "Use Start Full Screen" -- you'll then have a desktop the same as W7.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  5. #15
    Mature Linux nerd Rod J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    I've been a Linux guy for over ten years now, and exclusively for most of that time. Currently running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS on one desktop and Manjaro KDE on two laptops. I really like Manjaro myself but I would hesitate to recommend it to a newbie who isn't at least a computer hobbyist like myself as it can get a bit technical at times. Having said that it is surprisingly stable for a rolling release distro. As far as Linux help goes I think just joining the relevant forum for the distro of your choice usually works or just Google your problem.

    I recently got an ex-lease business PC (HP Elite 8300 SFF) that came with Windows 10 Pro on it already. I've decided to leave Win10 on it as I need to keep myself up with Windows issues as I support my brother (among others) with their PC problems. To be honest I think Win10 is OK and I haven't had any major problems, just little niggles at times (get that with any OS). I still don't feel as safe with Windows though as I've gotten used to Linux immunity to viruses and malware, etc and like that better.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

  6. #16
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Just a little nitpick really but Linux is in no way immune to viruses and malware. It's just a much smaller target and generally not worth the virus writers time.
    The only way we could fairly compare it to windows in regards to viruses and malware is if it got the same market share for long enough to make itself a target.

    I'm sure you knew that, it's just the wording that made me respond. It definitely is a lot safer in that regard if not immune.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  7. #17
    Computer "Specialist" Agent_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    64 Bitville
    Posts
    14,159

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    The default desktop in W10 with the exception of the taskbar not being transparent (like W7) looks exactly the same. Maybe a couple of Icons will be named differently example This PC instead of my Computer or Computer but thats it.

    Here's a desktop screen shot of one of the insider desktops ( same as every other version of W10), apart from a few programs I've installed ( shortcuts) theres no big buttons as described.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	10105
    There are no large icons on the desktop, but open the start menu, open control panel etc, it's all a different story. The style is fine on mobile devices but looks awful on a desktop, and just wastes space, in my opinion.

    Functionally it does the same stuff, and in terms of stability maybe it is the best Windows so far (it should be) but aesthetically I can't stand it.
    Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

  8. #18
    Computer "Specialist" Agent_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    64 Bitville
    Posts
    14,159

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Just a little nitpick really but Linux is in no way immune to viruses and malware. It's just a much smaller target and generally not worth the virus writers time.
    The only way we could fairly compare it to windows in regards to viruses and malware is if it got the same market share for long enough to make itself a target.

    I'm sure you knew that, it's just the wording that made me respond. It definitely is a lot safer in that regard if not immune.
    Windows viruses often work great in Wine too! Even some cryptos... So be careful, just because you're on Linux doesn't mean you should be complacent about security...
    Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

  9. #19
    Mature Linux nerd Rod J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    I really meant Linux is immune to Windows viruses, etc. Even running Windows applications in Wine (Linux Windows compatibility layer) you are unlikely to infect the Linux host system. Not saying it's impossible to get a virus on Linux ... just it's highly unlikely.

    I thought the following How To Geek article gave a balanced view of the topic: https://www.howtogeek.com/175083/htg...x-get-viruses/
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

  10. #20
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,115

    Default Re: Any suggestions for another opperating system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_24 View Post
    There are no large icons on the desktop, but open the start menu, open control panel etc, it's all a different story. The style is fine on mobile devices but looks awful on a desktop, and just wastes space, in my opinion.

    Functionally it does the same stuff, and in terms of stability maybe it is the best Windows so far (it should be) but aesthetically I can't stand it.
    Tiles on Start menu - dont like them, remove - right click the tile - unpin from Start = simple

    Control Panel - Its there, here's mine Windows 10, exact same layout as W7, I suspect you are referring to the Settings Options.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control_Panel_Windows_10.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	10109

    Biggest problem people have is they don't know some functions of their OS.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Similar Threads

  1. Suggestions for a home document management system?
    By stuffed in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 09:37 PM
  2. System info tool suggestions.
    By *Sparky* in forum PressF1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-10-2008, 11:33 PM
  3. PSU suggestions
    By grumpyturkey in forum PressF1
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 24-11-2007, 01:24 PM
  4. suggestions for OS for 486 please
    By loser in forum PressF1
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-09-2002, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •