Default Corrupted windows 7

A friends laptop with windows 7 on it has got in a state where it blue screens just after reaching the desktop every time. Stable enough in safe mode. Sorry I didn't get the stop code.
    I tried SFC /Scannow, and Chkdsk /f, a full virus scan, going back to the earliest system restore point, none of it helped at all. I also note she's using MSE and it's complaining that the service is stopped and won't start even if you try.

My temporary fix which I hope will become permanent was to swap out the hard drive and install windows 10 and put her old drive in an enclosure so she can get files off it.
    Proves you can still use windows 7 keys for windows 10 as well, but mainly I did it because I don't have a windows 7 disk handy. I note the Dell laptop has a recovery partition so maybe there's a way to start over using that ?

If she needs to get the windows 7 disk working again what else can I do? for now I said she'll need someone more skilled than me and gave it back to her with the fresh windows 10 running

It's an older machine but still worth using I think, i5 3 series, 8GB of RAM, 1TB hdd. If it was mine it'd have an SSD by now.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Corrupted windows 7

Bluescreens can be caused by almost anything, various hardware issues, driver issues, software or Win corruption

Best bet if they want win7, install a SSD, reload a Clean install of Win7.
    Win7 is literally end of life Jan next year, no point in trying to fix a Win7 . Just Clean install Win10. As you did :-)

VoidMaster

See if there's any question marks in Device Manager.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Win7 is literally end of life Jan next year, no point in trying to fix a Win7 . Just Clean install Win10. As you did :-)
    Rinstalling a clean Windows 10.

The free Windows 10 upgrade still works

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/30/he...10-still-work/

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Sorry I didn't get the stop code.
    I tried SFC /Scannow, and Chkdsk /f, a full virus scan, going back to the earliest system restore point, none of it helped at all.
    My temporary fix which I hope will become permanent was to swap out the hard drive and install windows 10 and put her old drive in an enclosure so she can get files off it.

And if no errors now, that means it's not hardware related. Well not hardware that isn't the hard drive itself. Which it could be.
    I would have cloned it onto this new drive.

Then done your repairs.

If fixed, its the old drive. If not, a clean install of Win 7 would fix it....yes the recovery partition should work. BUt then, if it is that drive...well...it's not trustworthy.
    Ex-pctek

I had 3 machines with Windows 7 Ultimate. About 2 weeks ago Microsoft Security, on all 3 refused to update. They downloaded the updates, but will not install them. I have now installed Linux Mint 19.2 on them instead. My main machine has Mint 18.3, with Windows 7 Ultimate in VMWare to use when I need Windows, which is only because my Websites are created in Windows Software. This has Malwarebytes running in it.
    I have tried a lot of OS's, and think that Mate is the best, 100% stable, easy to setup, with very little maintenance.

I don't think there were any errors on the chkdsk /F run, but it took hours and I wasn't watching when it finished so I'm not sure. It did take forever at 10% of the file integrity stage which made me suspicious.

Linux is not an option, it's not my PC and I don't want to become a Linux support person when she can't figure out how to do stuff.

At the moment the PC is back with the owner running a clean install of windows 10 and everything seems stable. I'm hoping that'll be the end of it because I am not keen on trying to fix windows 7. It'll have years of updates to do if I use the recovery partition and I don't have any other install media handy. Honestly when system restore failed I pretty much gave up, there was a system update and a McAfee install right around when the problems started so I hoped system restore would fix the issue but it didn't.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I don't think there were any errors on the chkdsk /F run,.
    Friend sent hers up to me a month ago.
    I immediately heard a noise, not the click of death and it was faint.

Windows did not say anything at all, no event viewer issues, no chkdsk, nada. I thought yeah right So I booted off Linux and immediately it told me the drive had sector errors.

She is happily using the PC now with a new drive and a cloned Win7, straight as is off her old drive.
    Ex-pctek