Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: RAM for computer I am finishing building?

With Open box they should have also given a discount, as (the name says) its been opened previously.

Personally there's only a few things That I'll buy openbox from my suppliers, CPU's are one I Wont, who knows whats been done to it previously. If it is faulty and returned its nothing to any shop /seller to do a warranty from suppliers.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

wainuitech
    hi..... yeah I agree. I will contact them tomorrow and ask the questions I posted before .... and a few more. Just to add to what I said, they said they were trying to contact me (for almost a week it would have been) and I thought after the conversation and my agreeing to take the unsealed Box 2600 that they were not being truthful because I have an Answerphone and there were no messages saved to it at all...last message was 3plus months earlier... I had received no emails in gmail or message on my mobile phone from them and they have all my contact information...so how were they trying to contact me I wondered for 1 second ...telepathy????
    Finally, the Gigabyte board and the 2600 CPU I have had here for past 4 weeks, unopened from its arrival back from where I sent the two items to have the BIOS updated to run the 2nd Gen Ryzens. Reason for it sitting here unopened was because the CoolerMaster 550W PSU I intended to power the new rig with, was in a PC I had knocked up from parts and had loaned to neighbour to play 2 games and run Adobe PShop.... it had the CoolerMaster 55W PSU in it and I needed it to power the new setup. I only got the PC I loaned them back on Tuesday. Instead of Connection the Mainboard and the CPU up with the 550W PSU, I put the R5 2600 CPU into the Fig I have running on a R5 2400G and the 16GB GSkill 2933RAM and it is since that time that I have noticed the 'issues' I mention.
    I did dlaod the QVL for the Asus Board and the only G-Skill RAM of 2933Mhz listed is this one
    G.SKILL F4-2933C14Q-32GFX 4*8GB SS Samsung 14-14-14-34 1.35 3000 3000
    Mine is this
    G.SKILL F4-2933C16-8GFX 4*8GB SS Samsung 16-16-16-39 1.35 3000 3000 (almost identical except the listed one is C14Q ((whatever the 'Q' means) and I changed the timings in the ram I have to read 16-16-16-39 which I took from the CPU-Z information given)

cheers

Garry

ps: I had a read of this link which came up when I was searching for info on the G-Skill 2933 Mhz Ram. It was interesting in one persons comment about RAM which started with this " DRAM QVLs are totally useless, in most cases.
    Most of the time the compability of the DRAM modules depends on the DRAM ICs it uses. And most of the time the memory manufacturers use whatever suitable (able to meet the specs) DRAM ICs they can source for the cheapest costs.
    Because of that there are usually various different versions (different ICs) sold under the same exact product code, rendering the QVL utterly useless."
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...hread.2518436/

have a nice day... I have to figure a nice way to tell the CPU Supplier that I am of the opinion that they have knowingly flicked me a LOCKED Chip and they can repay the money to me and I will do my shopping elsewhere. I really do think the chip is faulty.

pps: notice in the pics of Ryzen Master I sent, the Core Speed of the 2600 I have is showing at being 3400Mhz and not the Base clock of 3600Mhz...

ciao
    Last edited by kioti; 01-12-2019 at 03:27 PM.

I reduced Contrast of my monitor and got better quality pics using my mobile. White lettering and numbers are legible and not as fuzzy/glared at edges.
    The final pic shows the Computer BIOS POSTed in Safe Mode. It does that when I set D.O.C.P from Disabled to Profile #1_ G-Skill DDR4 set at 2933 Mhz. Restart and computer boots to log in no problems , presumably because the BIOS/UEFI has been reset to D.O.C.P disabled.
    Notice in the final pic it shows CPU Speed is 3400Mhz and not the 3600Mhz it should be running at Base Clock/Speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOCP DISABLED.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	10095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOCP AT PROFILE 1_2933Mhz.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	10096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOCP at 2933Mhz__NOTE the CPU says TARGET CPU SPEED 3400 Mhz__Why is Target CPU Speed 3400and no.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	10097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAVE SETTINGS AND EXIT.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	10098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAILED BOOT TO LOG IN_POSTed to SAFE MODE__Does that because DOCP is enabled at 2933 Mhz.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	10099  

Ryzen 5 2600 is 3.4 and able to Turbo up to 3.9 as Jason (TechDeals) says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLjKr939RM

Great build,Ryzen 2600 is the one to go for at the moment,just about to pull the pin on a Ryzen build myself

Lawrence
    hi...thanks I must have been reading some specs that gave wrong info on the 2600 Base clock speed. So all the talk about it being easily OC'd to 4100 is for the Turbo up and not the Base Clock? As Jason at TeachDeals said the Chip is fine left as it is.

3400Ghz or 3600Ghz doesn't really matter now anyway,,,, I think the Chip is faulty and is Locked! And I am not paying $100's to have it tested by a tech.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by kioti; 02-12-2019 at 09:08 PM.

3400Ghz??????????? 3.4Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Hi.
    I had purchased 16GB DDR4 CL16 GSkill 2933Ghz FlareX and any changes I made in BIOS to get the RAM to run at any setting above 2400 to 2933Ghz BSOD's so it set to run at stable 2400Ghz. When I tried to run the RAM at faster speeds I didn't do ant voltage or timing 'tweaks' which is probably why it BSOD's constantly.
    Gigabyte AB350M-D3H mainboard,
    The reason I am considering Kingston HyperX Fury RAM is that sometime in the past, about 12 months back, I read an article on the HyperX RAM stating that it is simply "Plug and Play" auto-setting itself to run at the RAM's rated top Speed, no tweaking required.
    Your motherboard manual will state a list of compatible ram.

Overclocking is always at your own risk.
    Really, just set the bios to auto overclock, it's safer.
    Or don't overclock at all, I never did, manually, just buy better hardware if you want better performance. It makes it unstable if you push it.

Exactly, put the Ram in, leave it alone...as they say.
    Ex-pctek

piroska. hi. I checked the QVL for Supported / tested RAM for the Asus B450M-A motherboard and the only G-Skill 2933 Mhz RAM listed was almost the same as that which I have
    the QVL for the Asus Board and the only G-Skill RAM of 2933Mhz listed is this one
    G.SKILL F4-2933C14Q-32GFX 4*8GB SS Samsung 14-14-14-34 1.35 3000 3000
    Mine is this
    G.SKILL F4-2933C16-8GFX 4*8GB SS Samsung 16-16-16-39 1.35 3000 3000 (almost identical except the listed one is C14Q ((whatever the 'Q' means) and I changed the timings in the ram I have to read 16-16-16-39 which I took from the CPU-Z information given)

I would just like to mention about this 'put it in and leave it alone', when I built the rig running the AMD Ryzen5 2400G, Asus B450M-A with Corsair MP300 M2 NVMe SSD and Samsung EVO 860 SD and Corsair HX750W PSU, I was doing a lot or researching and watching Videos about building PC based on Ryzen 5 2400G and there was one I watched of TechDeals in February of this year and I was impressed and based my decisions on what Jason was advising and I will quote here what he said "Ryzen loves fast RAM" and he was plugging the G-SKILL FlareX RAM as it was the best for Ryzen APU and he had Dual Packs of the said RAM at 3200Mhz that he was 'recommending'..... (the R5 2400 will only run 2933Mhz RAM) and I see it all the time in PC Build videos.... 3200Mhz RAM etc etc.... so I purchased the 16GB 2933Mhz G-Skill DDR4 FlareX that I now have and as I cannot get it to run at that speed I may just have well bought 2400Mhz RAM and saved myself a hundred bucks at least. I cannot find the video if TeachDeals now but at the time when I was getting the BSOD's everytime I changed the RAM speed above 2400Mhz I did post a thread here about it and the video I had added a link to there. That was about Feb/March this year. And now I am considering buying 32GB of the Corsair 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM to use in the Gigabyte board with the R5 2600 CPU I have now,,,returning the R5 2400G to the Asus Board and G-Skill RAM. Why would I put 3200 Mhz Ram to use if I am just to run it at 2400Mhz Standard outa the box.... blimming heck I not wanting to be the Burt Munro of the computer world, making offerings to the God of Speed
    A question about this 2600 Ryzen I have. Lets not consider that I am going to bump its Core speed to 4.1Ghz because I shan't bother now..... this a question about the 2600 Chip I have and is it locked or unlocked? As the hosts in the videos say about OC'ing chips "its a silicone lottery. Some chips OC better than others. Ya may be lucky and get a ripper or vice versa" shrug..
    The Chip i have will NOT OC at all. There are no tabs to click to increase or decrease the clock speed of the chip in the Ryzen Master App that I have in which the task of OC'ing the chip/s is dead easy. I assume ( no not make an ass of u and me) that because there are no means to adjust/change the base clock speed across all cores that the chip I have is faulty. I have the latest version of the Ryzen Master app, I downlaoded a new version today in case the one I had gotten earlier was at fault. I will add a pic of it in action showing that it cannot have its case clock changed in the app.

thanks

Garry

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...738B&FORM=VIRE

Name:	IS THE CPU LOCKED_ NO MEANS TO ALTER CLOCKSPEED.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	10102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RYZEN MASTER SETTINGS_AMD 2600.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFFERINGS TO THE GOD OF SPEED.JPG 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	10104  
    Last edited by kioti; 04-12-2019 at 01:23 AM.

I don't know why you can't overclock your 2600, but all Ryzen desktop CPUs are unlocked and can be overclocked in theory.

What about in the BIOS ? I find Ryzen master a little confusing and not intuitive so that's my first suspect.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

dugimodo, hi and firstly BIOS is quite alien to me. But I have managed to OC the 2600 to 4050Mhz...increased core voltage from 1.3 to 1.425v....... I clicked on the green bar, the vertical one, clicked just above it and the speed changed. I was using the Creator Mode tab not Profile. It ran at 4Ghz, but I reset it to 3400Mhz..... best I leave things as they were out of the box, as a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Cheers

Garry

Name:	RYZEN AT 4025MHz.jpg 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	10108  
    Last edited by kioti; 04-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.