Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RAM for computer I am finishing building?

Hi. I am in the final stages of building a new computer and have a question about the Speed of the DDR4 RAM I still have to purchase. I do not want to repeat the mistakes I made when I put together the Rig I now use running AND Ryzen 5 2400G on an Asus Prime B450M-A board.
    I had purchased 16GB DDR4 CL16 GSkill 2933Ghz FlareX and any changes I made in BIOS to get the RAM to run at any setting above 2400 to 2933Ghz BSOD's so it set to run at stable 2400Ghz. When I tried to run the RAM at faster speeds I didn't do ant voltage or timing 'tweaks' which is probably why it BSOD's constantly.
    I am using the following HW for the new rig, Gigabyte AB350M-D3H mainboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, CoolerMaster 550W PSU, AMD Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GD5 GPU....... the Mainboard I had to send away to get the BIOS upgraded for it to run 2nd Gen Ryzen 2600 Processor.
    I haven't decided on what to use for Hard Drive... I have a 250GB Corsair MP300 M.2 NVMe that failed to run a while back and I haven't sent back to supplier to test it and hopefully replace it under warranty. I will try it in th rig I am building, it may come to life but it fails in the one I use now. If it fails to operate then I will use a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD that I have already.
    Ok that gets me to the RAM I need to get. The Ryzen 2600 CPU allows RAM speed of 2933 and the Gigabyte board will allow 3200..... so I am trying to decide on what RAM speed to get: 2400, 2666, 2933 or 3200.
    Any RAM speed above 2400 is going to require 'tweaking', a process of which I am unfamiliar. Also, I read this about using the AMD Ryzen5 2600 and 2933 RAM together and I have no idea what is meant by "a motherboard with 6PCB layers"... I guess it means the motherboard is made having 6 layers of fibreglass.
    Here is the paragraph of which I refer "Ryzen 5 2600 supports up to DDR4-2933 memory. Just be aware that you'll only get those data rates with single-rank modules installed in a maximum of two slots. Even then, it takes a motherboard with six PCB layers to operate at 2933 MT/s stably"
    "Single rank modules"?? I will Google that one
    Ok I am considering these RAM modules and would appreciate your suggestions.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Kit
    CMK32GX4M2A2400C16
    CL SKU 33287
    $228.00
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2666 CL16
    CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
    CL SKU 32553
    $268.00
    .................................................. ...............
    Kingston HyperX FURY RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Kit
    HX432C16FB3AK2/32
    CL SKU 33797
    $359.95
    ( I do not want RGB but cannot find a listing for this RAM that is not RGB)
    .................................................. .........................
    Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Kit
    HX432C18FB2K2/16
    CL SKU 33800
    $179.95
    .................................................. ............
    The reason I am considering Kingston HyperX Fury RAM is that sometime in the past, about 12 months back, I read an article on the HyperX RAM stating that it is simply "Plug and Play" auto-setting itself to run at the RAM's rated top Speed, no tweaking required. Whether that is true or not I do not know
    and from my past experiences and not enough knowledge, I have found that that which is stated re: HW, is missing a lot of the crucial info of things that one has to do to get the "pop it in and it will work at primo performance out of the box".
    I am inclined to go for the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Kit... at a price of $228.00 for 32GB, 2400 DDR4 CL16 is pretty damn good.
    I intend to use this rig I am building mainly to do Video encoding, and maybe some Game instals... at the moment all is being done on my Ryzen5_2400G, Asus Prime B450M-A, 16GB DDR4 GSkill 2933 RAM (at 2400Mhz), 512GB Intel 660P M2 NVMe SSD and a Corsair HX750 PSU running W10 v1909 Build 18363.476. I will instal and use the same W10 on this new rig.

Cheers

Garry
    afterthought: I may need to get a PSU that supply's 600W-750W because the specs on the AMD Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 GPU states it requires 600W PSU. I hope I can get by with that which I have

HyperX Fury: "HyperX FURY DDR4 RGB Memory
    HyperX® FURY DDR4 RGB delivers a boost of performance and style with speeds of up to 3466MHz, aggressive styling, and RGB lighting that runs the length of the module for smooth, stunning lighting effects. FURY DDR4 RGB is XMP-ready and available in 2400MHz–3466MHz speeds, CL15–16 latencies, single module capacities of 8GB and 16GB, and kit capacities of 16GB–64GB to give you a performance boost for your gaming, video editing, and rendering. It features Plug N Play automatic overclocking at 2400MHz and 2666MHz speeds and is compatible with both the latest Intel and AMD CPUs. 100% tested at speed and backed by a lifetime warranty, FURY DDR4 RGB’s your worry-free, cost-effective upgrade of choice."

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...200-memory-kit
    Last edited by kioti; 28-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Default Re: RAM for computer I am finishing building?

I'm not a memory expert, but the RAM you have should have been perfect and there should be no need of tweaking, all that should be required is to enable the appropriate memory profile in BIOS, sometimes called XMP or otherwise possibly AMP.
    Here's some instructions that may help https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/e...oard-9989.html

Also because the memory controller is on the CPU upgrading to the 2600 may let you run the memory stably at 2933.

What I would do is use the RAM you already have and see if you can get it to work at 2933, costs nothing to try after all. If that fails the best option is to try and find RAM that is listed on the motherboards QVL list https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Motherbo...rt#support-doc Not always easy to do though.

I also had RAM issues when I built a Ryzen machine last year. I bought SniperX DDR4 3200 for my Ryzen 7 2700X and could not get it to run at 3200 and backed it off to 2933 to make it stable. I set the XMP profile in BIOS but to get it to clock down to 2933 I actually used the gigabyte Easy tune application just because it's simpler.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Anything that is 3200Mhz rated is the way to go.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro 100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Water-Cooled eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ---> NZXT G12 (Corsair H55)
    Corsair Crystal 460X & TX650M PSU

chiefnz.... hi and yeah 3200Mhz is the way to go but the Ryzen5 2400G will only run a max of 2933Mzz RAM. Apart from that, as I said, any setting above 2400 Mzz BSOD's and doesn't Boot or POST. Also I cannot change the voltages in BIOS, D.O.C.P is set at Profile #1 and it shows as 2933MHz but it will not Boot and is POSTed to Safe Mode.
    Something is wrong somewhere. I can't even use AMD Ryzen Master app to easily raise the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Core speeds to the easily attained 4.1 Ghz. The + and - tabs are nowhere to be seen in the Ryzen Master app I am using.
    Cheers.
    Garry

chiefnz.... hi and yeah 3200Mhz is the way to go but the Ryzen5 2400G will only run a max of 2933Mzz RAM. Apart from that, as I said, any setting above 2400 Mzz BSOD's and doesn't Boot or POST. Also I cannot change the voltages in BIOS, D.O.C.P is set at Profile #1 and it shows as 2933MHz but it will not Boot and is POSTed to Safe Mode.
    Something is wrong somewhere. I can't even use AMD Ryzen Master app to easily raise the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Core speeds to the easily attained 4.1 Ghz. The + and - tabs are nowhere to be seen in the Ryzen Master app I am using.
    Cheers.
    Garry

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

You might need to update your BIOS again? There is a new F50a bios release which came out on 27/11.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro 100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Water-Cooled eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ---> NZXT G12 (Corsair H55)
    Corsair Crystal 460X & TX650M PSU

Safest thing to do is have a look at the tested RAM known to work as on ASUS site for that board, that way you know it works, other brands while they may, also may not. Downlaod teh PDF and look. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_QVL/
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

wainuitech hi and thanks I will do what you say. For the past days I have not been able to connect to Press D1 becaus I have always been getting notice that The server is down and the same I get for checking Post Tracking...courier post today said tracking is active so I went to Public lobrary to use the computer there.... I nmanaged to get a reply to chiefnz but as soon as I went to reply to dugimodo I had no option to click the Reply tab and only the Reply with quote..when I clicked it I was instantly taken to the "Database Error" screen. So I am going to add my reply to dugimodo here as it may be the only chance I get for some time.

dugimoda
    Hi, sorry for late reply I only saw your comment about 10am today and when I tried to reply I receive a window saying that Press F1 is down and techs there know of it. I have been getting that error trying to connect to Press F1 for days and eventually I can get into it. I am wondering if it is a Windows Edge issue because I have just opened my Opera browser and clicked the link to PCW for my thread and get access immediately. Windows Edge Beta release I use because a month back whenever I was in FaceBook and scrolling peoples posts or commenting on someones post or creating one of my own, the post I was typing into would start to jump either back to the top of the page or somewhere else and I would have to scroll all the way back to find where I was entering a comment so I could continue it. It was recommended by a person who said they were having issues with the Edge Browser in W10 v1903m that I use the New Edge Beta version. They had been using it for quite a while and it is/was stable. I did and it was as good as gold for past 4-6 weeks, Anyway on with my reply to you re your comment.
    I recall you saying in a post I submitted here months ago, about the GSkill RAM I had and I couldn't get it to run at any speed other than 2400 and you pointed out the XMP/AMP setting to look for and use. I did find the XMP and set it to SPD Extension XMP 2.0 but the RAM still ran at 2400 though.... it did show both the DRAM Frequency as 1197.1MHz speed in CPUID (1197.1 x 2 = 2394.2.....close enough to 2400MHz).... it still shows that today in CPU-Z.
    As I haven't put all the new rig together yet as opposed to using the GSkill RAM in the Gigabyte board with the Ryzen 5_2600 CPU, I swapped out the Ryzen 5_2400G and put the 2600 CPU into the rig of the Asus Prime B450M-A board and the GSkill RAM installed already. Reconnected the AMD RX580 GPU to use for Display... All booted up ok and it was then I decided to get into BIOS/UEFi and do some 'tinkering' First thing I noticed was a box labeled "D.O.C.P" so I returned to working Desktop and googled DOCP.... all that I read on it said to enable it and Profile #1 and it will auto set the Ram to run at its rated speed. Oki doki, back into BIOS, changed D.O.C.P from Disabled to Profile #1 and it showed the RAM speed was 2933. F10 Save and Exit... boot up and get an American Megatrends Screen and info-text saying "the System has POSTed in Safe Mode... hardware change may have caused it to happen...You may wish to revert to stable settings to prevent Post failure...Press F1 to Run SETUP"
    I didn't press F1 and return to BIOS to make changes back, the computer Rebooted itself and opened to my Sign In Screen... did that and then did some checking to see what speed the RAM was running at. I think its back at 2400MHz.
    I attach a few pics to show what I mean.
    As for the RAM Choice, I looked again at the seller store for the Corsair 2400 DDR4 and amazingly the cost has gone down $49.00. There was also Corsair DDR4 3200 at a reduced price so am considering getting the 3200 for a $30 cost more than the cost of the 2400 a day ago...even though I cannot run 3200 maybe I get it figured out when it's obsolete.
    Here are a few links to what I read about D.O.C.P .one of them is from another forum so apologies there but it was the first on the page of Hits for DOCP.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=d.o.c....188938401c7052

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...board.3394275/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...t-is-docp-for/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VDRVRV

Tomorrow, I will get the Gigabyte board, Ryzen 5 2600, AMD RX580 GPU, The 550W CoolerMaster PSU all connected up and I will use the GSkill RAM.... I will try the Gigabyte EasyTune app to see if I can get the RAM to run at 2933MHz. Can only try these things and may be pleasantly surprised. I will try the Corsair 300MP SSD to see if it can be accessed and used...or I will connect the Samsung Evo 860 SSD and get W10x64 v 1909 installed to it.
    Not much else I can do for now. In my sleep tonight a decision will be made about which RAM Speed I buy.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...board.3394275/

https://www.bing.com/search?q=d.o.c....188938401c7052

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...t-is-docp-for/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VDRVRV

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Kit
    CMK32GX4M2A2400C16
    CL SKU 33287
    $179.00 (was $228.00)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
    CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16
    CL SKU 33754
    $265.00 (was $298.00)

I will get the 3200Mhz...maybe I get to use it one day.

As for OC'ing the AMD R5 2600 CPU I will give it a miss...after watching this video guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRXB-aj-F8

Now lets see if this actually gets submitted

I have no Go Advanced option to click so I can send pics I took showing DOCP at Profile #1 and RAM at 2933Mhz and other pics of CPU-Z etc etc.

chiefnz... I updated the Asus BIOS last night to the Latest version, unfortunately I cannot remember the version number.

cheers

Garry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPUZ MEMORY.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	10084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPUZ_SPD.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	10085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DATABASE ERROR.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	10086  
    Last edited by kioti; 01-12-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add attachment pics

Here are the pics of D.O.C.P at 2933 and the POSTed in Safe Mode after I set the DOCP to Profile 1 2933Mhz
    Fuzzy images... need phone camera on tripod by looks of it .Hope you can read the info contained in them.

bios VERSION IS 2006...RELEASED ON 11/13/2019

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	10087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture DOCP at 2933.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	10088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPUZ BIOS VERSION ASUS.JPG 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	10089  
    Last edited by kioti; 01-12-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: ADD IMAGE

Hi again I have all systems ago go here now with submitting my replies etc so I strike while the iron is hot
    I will mention this because it is nudging me in my head... the thought that the R5 2600 CPU that I was sent is faulty That is why I cannot OC it using the AMD Ryzen Master app to do the job.
    When I bought the CPU I was told by the Store that they have been trying to contact me for days and I asked if they were out of stock (I had ordered and paid for it online about 5-6 days earlier and I phoned the seller to ask where it was/is because I should have received it in the mail by the time I called them....they said No they have them but they wanted to know if I would accept one that is in an Opened box (Unused they stressed) and silly me accepted, because I wanted the thing ASAP..... I should have said NO send me one in sealed box. Wise after the event.
    Now I be wasting my time 'asking' them if the 2600 CPU was a return from someone and if it was returned because it was ' faulty'...I'm not going to get an admission that is the case from the seller. So I am stuck with a CPU that to all intent and purpose does not seem to be Overclockable. Total speculation on my part of course. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here is a link to watch the Ryzen Master app in use and some pics to show what I get in the app when I use it..... basically...I do NOT get the + and - signs to click onto to alter the Core speeds. Either the Ryzen Master app I downloaded and used is naff...or the CPU is faulty...or Both are true.
    What a PITA
    I am not going to now OC the 2600 anyway...but the thought of having been flicked a Faulty Chip is nagging at me.
    Suffer in silence I guess.... I will chew my cud on this situation for the weekend.
    Why would they ask me if I will accept a chip in an opened box if they had the chips available in sealed boxes???? Don't answer that If they had a faulty RTM chip then why did they not get it replaced by AMD Main Outlet from where the shop gets its AMD HW ???? Don't answer that either.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...738B&FORM=VIRE

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	10090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	10091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3_ HAS NO PLUS AND MINUS TABS TO CLICK TO ALTER THE CORE SPEEDS OF ALL CORES..jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	10092  
    Last edited by kioti; 01-12-2019 at 02:33 AM.