Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Checked in baggage

Intending to bring a desktop PC with me to Sydney.

Do I need to remove the CMOS battery to send by checked in baggage? I understand that no battery is allowed in checked in baggage.

Anyone here has done that?

Default Re: Checked in baggage

Hmmmm......how are you getting the PC there? Not in your baggage ...

While you're here, take note of these valuable, fragile or otherwise unsuitable items that do not belong in your checked-in baggage:
    •Computers and computer equipment
    •Items with a special value like money, jewellery, precious metals, or silverware
    •Negotiable papers, share certificates, securities or other valuable documents
    •Cameras, video cameras and related equipment
    •Electrical and electronic devices
    •Fragile, delicate or perishable goods
    •Commercial goods or business documents
    •Samples
    •Passports and other travel documents
    •Items we determine are unsuitable for carriage because of their weight, size, shape or character (including items outside the permitted baggage allowance dimensions specified in article 8.1 of our conditions of carriage)
    •Any item for carriage if it is insufficiently packaged to withstand the usual circumstances and effects of air travel.
    Last edited by allblack; 20-11-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Best way - Contact the Airline you are flying with and ask. That way you'll get the right answer. We just got back from Vanuatu,We thought we may have a problem with our tickets ( forgot to put middle names as per passports) but got in writing it wasn't needed and perfectly fine.

I know they allow them with Carry on,had laptops, Tablets as carry on, and even those went through the xray with out any problems.

One thing they did say though was that even with carry on not to turn on any apple Macbooks due to a world wide recall on faulty Battery's.

Air NZ says:

Travelling with technology

With the increasing innovation of "smart baggage" baggage that includes technology, we're also seeing more hazards like lithium batteries, motors, power banks, GPS, GSM, Bluetooth, RFID or Wi-Fi technology that can pose a threat to aircraft safety if not handled correctly.

Smart baggage can be checked in provided non-removable batteries contain no more than 0.3 g lithium or for lithium-ion does not exceed 2.7 Wh. Removable batteries must be removed if baggage is to be checked in and the batteries carried in the cabin.

Smart baggage powered by lithium batteries can be brought as carry-on if it complies with our carry-on size and weight limitations. See travelling with lithium batteries, and remember to check with any other airlines if they're a part of your trip as well.

Due to overhead storage limitations, bluesmart baggage can't be accommodated in the cabin of Air New Zealand Regional (turbo-prop) aircraft.

And FAA:

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/...nfo/?hazmat=20
    Ex-pctek

Daughter has got a job in Sydney and I wish to bring her computer over when I visit her next month. Sending by courier is too expensive and their handling is quite rough.

You think Air NZ baggage handlers will be any less rough, assuming you got it past security?

Don't want to piss on your picnic, but you might need a Plan B.

The problem is that its a desktop PC, not a laptop which is what all the regs relate to.

Do yourself a favor, as I mentioned call the Airline you are flying with make sure you tell them its a desktop PC NOT a laptop and ask them directly, They will tell you what you can and cant do.

All the links to whats allowed and whats not wont mean jack sh*t if they say NO at the check in.

Our trip --- Different divisions / places do different things, every place, Wellington out, Auckland Out, Vanuatu in & Out, all had to take the laptops / Tablets out the carry on bags, Auckland arriving back started to unpack and the customs Lady stopped me, said just put the whole backpack through the scanner, Auckland to Wellington - Simply asked if I had any prohibited contents, said what was in the backpack -- See ya have a good flight, didn't even look.

I don't travel much so this has never come up for me but I'd be tempted to just take the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and hard drives and source a new case and PSU over there and rebuild it.
    Easier to pack that way, depends how good you are are building PCs I guess. It's fun to me.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    call the Airline you are flying with make sure you tell them its a desktop PC NOT a laptop and ask them directly
    Then call back again and get someone different and ask the same question. Then do it again.

Then when you've got 3 answers the same you can start believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

Do I need to remove the CMOS battery ....
    Remove cmos batt. Stick that in pocket. You'll need to reset date & time later.
    Or spend $2 on a new CMOS batt in Aus .

I cant imagine anyone opeing up your PC to check that tiny batt.
    Its laptop & RC batts that have them spooked .
    RC batts especially .

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.co...sparks-mayday/