Default Chrome cast / wifi extender issues

Hi all, yes back again to the one source that always gets my computer issues sorted.

In my house I have a wifi router and a couple of either net points in areas where the main wifi router doesn't get coverage. To give wifi access in those other area's I connected a TP Link Extender to the either net, works great with strong wifi signal to connect my phone or tablet, didn't even ask for password.
    Tried to configure the TP Link through its Tether app as the instructions say but it cant find the unit as it says its not on the same subnet as my phone even though my phone says its connected to the TP Link.....
    Anyway it works with the tether app.

Main issue is connecting to Chrome cast, after a great deal of dicking around I got it to work correctly. Turned off the TV then came back to it a bit later and the chrome cast couldn't reconnect, it had dropped off the TP Link wifi. Reset it again so it worked, then turned the TV off again and once again Chrome cast dropped the TP Link connection. Strange...... only the TV was powered down.

Appreciate any help with this as I'm getting pretty frustrated! Have set up 3 other chrome casts without any issues.

Cheers for you help. Dave

Default Re: Chrome cast / wifi extender issues

If the wifi signal is not strong enough you will have problems.

An extender is not that good really, all that does is extend an already weak signal. For extenders to work even half properly you need a 50% overlap of the signal.

What I mean by that is shown in the following picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wifi_Extenders.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	10072

One way to test where the problem is , would be to actually setup wireless so the TV location has 100% signal strength, then see if the chrome-cast works correctly. Assuming it does there's your problem = Weak signal.

To do that ( I've done this countless times) run a Temp Ethernet cable from the router to the Access point (in other words turn the extender into an access point if its capable) have it in the same room as the TV. See results.

You didn't advise what extender you have ( TP-Link means nothing , they have many different devices)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.

The extender takes the either net signal/cable and then wifi's it. So I suppose its an access point. It works well when I connect my phone or tablet, no issues with it working like that, just getting chrome cast to talk to it properly.
    Sorry its a TP LInk AC750 WiFi extender.

What are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz. ?

If using 5, then try the 2.4. 2.4 is still fast enough for most purposes and has a stronger signal over a longer distance, where as 5 is really only good for short hops.

Also are you using the USB port on the TV to power Chromecast or direct power. Chromecast even recommend the power:

Not only do most HDTV sets cut the power to the USB port when the television is off (therefore you have to wait for your Chromecast to restart and potentially download an update every time you start your TV) but not all USB ports are created equal on HDTV sets and it’s possible that the port, especially on cheaper sets, is out of spec, poorly grounded, or otherwise not provided clean and steady power to your Chromecast.

If you’re using the USB port on your HDTV to power your Chromecast, your first troubleshooting stop should be to plug it into the power supply that came with the Chromecast and power it off wall current.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lowie View Post
    The extender takes the either net signal/cable and then wifi's it. So I suppose its an access point. It works well when I connect my phone or tablet, no issues with it working like that, just getting chrome cast to talk to it properly.
    Sorry its a TP LInk AC750 WiFi extender.
    Yes, that TPlink also has a Access Point mode
    If you setup the 'extender' with the same SSID as the main router's wifi , that can sometimes cause issues

Yea, the chrome cast is powered from the supplied plug pack, thats why I couldn't understand why connection would be dropped when only the TV was turned off....

Right-O There's only a certain number of possible faults.

1. What colour and state is the LED on the chromecast when the TV is turned back on a and its not working ? ( Solid / flashing, white / orange / red ) is it ChromeCast 1 or 2 ?
    2. Other Causes may be a faulty HDMI Port on the TV, try another.
    3. You may need to factory reset the Chromecast.
    4. The Chromecast could be faulty.
    5. Could also be a problem with the Access Point.

Sometimes with these types of problems you have to do a trial and error method to eliminate what is working or not and where the problem actually is. Which again in this case means another TV, Access Point or wireless connection, could even be an IP conflict someplace.

There's several sites that suggest possible trouble shooting fixes. Mostly What I wrote above.

Two in particular I found.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...with-WiFi-help

Number 7 is along the lines of what I mentioned a type of IP conflict.

and from Google

https://support.google.com/chromecas...Sf6EnzXOUl43zU

Sometimes when a problem is caused and the solution is not taken very well, but that's just the way it is. Its a case of locating what the cause actually is.

As in the link the https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6025971 = Last Resort

Well maybe 2nd last
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.