Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Students working ?

Some advice please
    In today's world do university or polytech students still get night time or weekend or holiday jobs to earn some pocket money like they used to.
    or is it all on the parents or their student loan?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Default Re: Students working ?

Some do, some don't depends on their personality and if they want a huge loan or not

pcsourcepoint

My kids got scholarships from school and from the techs/universities. Also student allowance, and loans. They never did any paid work to support themselves. Niece of mine - part maori - got a few free large grants from her Tribe/Iwi Maori land dairy farm trusts, from Tauranga, and Waikato regions. Had to Write a essay and answer pages of questions though. They deposited half initially, and then 2nd lot later in the year.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

When I was at tech I didn't work, but husband was...

Friend of mine - she was 20 then, she did, worked part time at a bread shop.
    Ex-pctek

There's a scholarship database of questions and Estrella Mountain Community College requirements are based on those. Students have to writemyessay scholarships and consider how they may contribute to the general educational field. Tons of questions in a scholarship application - but why students need to work part-time anyway?

My elder son decided to work part-time while studying ar college, because he wants to gain experience and have some extra money (for girls I guess), though he doesn't need that, he's got a scholarship. But we decided to try a 529 college savings plan for our younger one.

In the late 1980s I registered as a Maori with Ngai Tahu descent. They graciously put my kids through university with grants, scholarships and bursaries so they did not have to work during the hols.
    Both only had a small student loan, one is a doctor the other an accountant.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

The loan system has been changed and modified significantly since its inception in 1992.
    So in the 80s Prefect? Yeah right.
    Ex-pctek

My last kid finished uni in 2016. One was dux at High School not bad for a school with 1750 students. The other one is more intelligent but refuses to study just goes off natural ability.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Some advice please
    In today's world do university or polytech students still get night time or weekend or holiday jobs to earn some pocket money like they used to.
    or is it all on the parents or their student loan?
    Is this a genuine question, or an attempt to push a narrative disguised as a question?

I was working before I started my degree and kept working through my undergrad and into post-graduate study. Almost all people I know at university work as well. The few people I know that don't work are usually lucky enough to have very wealthy and generous parents. I'm not going to run along with the narrative of "pocket money". Most students work so they have money to pay the bills. Try looking for a flat - you'll find rent is expensive, housing quality is poor, and 'property management' firms are all about screwing people over and taking advantage of students (private landlords are usually considerably better).

This has actually changed from previous generations. My father did not have to pay to go to university - in fact, he got a bursary. No such luck for my generation. I'll think of your little pocket money line next time I'm working a 4am shift to pay rent

I didn't when I went to tech. Incurred a loan and paid it on my mortgage - which had far better interest rates at the time, plus there was that drama with IRD making mistakes and I didn't want to owe them for ages.

11 years later, despite having kept my bit of paper showing a balance of $0.0 they reckoned I'd overpaid them by $1100.
    I made them prove it before accepting the money. Still not entirely sure though...another 11 years and they'll want it back?
    Ex-pctek