Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default What does "Remastered" mean?

    I have been listening to some 1960s CDs on YouTube and they all say "Remastered 2009" and I was wondering, what do they do when they remaster?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #2
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,508

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Basic version means they have changed the quality /output in various places. one explanation is linked HERE

    If you play the original back to back with remastered you will hear the differences. Sometimes a song sounds better remastered sometimes they make a complete stuff up of it and ruin it.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Thanks for that, Wainui. Most interesting.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  4. #4
    Golden Oldie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I have been listening to some 1960s CDs on YouTube and they all say "Remastered 2009" and I was wondering, what do they do when they remaster?
    In the 60s, music was simply recorded, where the pitch or frequency was electro-mechanically recorded , usually initially in wax, from which the master and the pressing dies were produced, to press vinyl records - the technology to digitally record the complex vibrations that make up sound did not exist.
    Remastered in relation to these recordings relates to digitalising the sounds produced in the original recording.

    The pick up heads on the old turntable decks, used a stylus that picked up the complex vibrations cut in the vinyl track and converted them into an electrical signal that was amplified, and output to a loud speaker. The CD was an invention of the 1980s, prior to that all recordings were vinyl or on magnetic tape, now the life of CDs may be starting to have its days numbered. Many modern cars no longer feature a CD player in the in car entertainment system.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,674

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Remix is when they go back to the original tapes , and change the 'mix' of the instruments and completely change the sound of the song

    Good example is when Paul McArtney remixed the Let It Be album in 2003, as he didnt like Phil Spectors production & mix .
    So he remixed it to give the sound a more raw less processed sound

    Remaster can be marketing BS . I remember one remaster of one of my Fav bands records . It was so bad the rumour was they couldnt get the original tapes
    so just remastered from a record

  6. #6
    Awaiting Enlightenment R2x1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Shore.
    Posts
    13,950

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenESmith View Post
    In the 60s, music was simply recorded, where the pitch or frequency was electro-mechanically recorded , usually initially in wax, from which the master and the pressing dies were produced, to press vinyl records - the technology to digitally record the complex vibrations that make up sound did not exist.
    Remastered in relation to these recordings relates to digitalising the sounds produced in the original recording.

    The pick up heads on the old turntable decks, used a stylus that picked up the complex vibrations cut in the vinyl track and converted them into an electrical signal that was amplified, and output to a loud speaker. The CD was an invention of the 1980s, prior to that all recordings were vinyl or on magnetic tape, now the life of CDs may be starting to have its days numbered. Many modern cars no longer feature a CD player in the in car entertainment system.
    That ain't so modern, my Model A couldn't play CDs - were Ford ahead of their time by 87 years?
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.



  7. #7
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,424

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    That ain't so modern, my Model A couldn't play CDs - were Ford ahead of their time by 87 years?
    Ford must have been ahead of their times because my Ď39 V8 Coupe with 2x12í Aerials couldnít play CDís either.

    However, I could listen to 2UE Sydney on a Friday night from the main street in Cambridge.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    .
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

  8. #8
    pcsourcepoint
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Otara, Auckland
    Posts
    3,062

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    I use to "remaster" music with a DJ mate converting/altering wav format) with software - Cool Edit Pro 2.. Convert mono to stereo with L/R channels and add boost bass, add reverb,echo chamber, noise removal etc. But kind of lose that mono dull sound originality, is what I found. But depends who's listening (e.g. a crowd of semi drunk teens at a raging 21st or older middle road folks when doing DJ) and how one appreciate the sound of music.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

  9. #9
    Computer "Specialist" Agent_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    64 Bitville
    Posts
    14,184

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    Remastering these days seems to mean decreasing the dynamic range and making the new version sound worse than the old.
    Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

  10. #10
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,057

    Default Re: What does "Remastered" mean?

    The remastered Beatles albums are very much better than the original versions.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 05:25 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-04-2013, 07:55 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •