Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reno

Default Re: Reno

Update:
    Yesterday I discovered 2 things.
    They hadn't removed the plastic film from the shower tray. This meant, without taking the thing apart, I could not get all of it off, as it's under the waste and door frame now.
    And worse, they hadn't sealed where the liner meets the tray.
    Which we have now done ourselves.

I emailed the plumber about it, saying we fixed it. And have had endless emails since, saying I'm nasty, I owe him money, he will come round and remove his fittings and I can chase him for them in court which will take ages.

Astounding attitude by this twat.
    My nastiness was the comment I made saying that was basic stuff and shouldn't have happened and I didn't like his lies about having been "doing this for 11 years".
    Ex-pctek

And worse, they hadn't sealed where the liner meets the tray.
    Its not meant to be seen. It should have been sealed behind the Liner and between the wall at the edge of the shower tray.

These are the instructions for our shower Tray / Liner:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shower_tray.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	10093

Its different if you have a liner or tiles, as per another set of instructions, if using tiles ( top drawing of these) yes you would see the sealant, if a liner - No. ( notice the small gap between the Tray and Edge of liner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shower_Tray_2.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	10094
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-12-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Just adding, if the the film was not removed where the liner / tray overlap then that's not good as any moisture can easily creep under it over time, so actually sealing (like tiles) maybe the only way to stop it.

Sounds a bit like the job was half baked from the get go.

Its not exactly rocket science to install, just need care and following quite simple instructions, Eg:
    5. Remove the protective film from around the outside edge and centre and apply the adhesive onto the back of the tray ensuring good even coverage to gain maximum adhesion over a large surface area.
    https://www.bathco.co.nz/data/downlo...all_shower.pdf - Source
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Good/competent and honest tradesman is hard to come by, nowadays.

Piroska, your situation was very similar to mine when I had my shower replaced.

I paid for a professional tradesman job but got a shitty third grade handyman job done. Their argument was very identical to yours!

I finally paid them but told them that I wouldn't have let them go so easily if I was 30 years younger! They tend to take advantage of older people, sigh, sigh...

VoidMaster

Mum once won $10,000 in some lottery or another decided to use the money to renovate and upgrade the bathroom so it would be suitable for when she got older and decrepit, this entailed getting rid of the bath, putting in a shower with cabinet, and replacing the wash hand basin with one suitable for getting a wheelchair underneath.

The beautiful old bath was smashed up in the room before removal, I thought it would be saved and resold. The city council caused all sorts of pa-lava because some of the pipes were going to be moved a foot or two and consents were required.

The job was done adequately but not that well.

Sadly Mum never got the benefit of the new shower etc that cost all of the $10,000 because the earthquakes came along and she had to move out of the house to an old peoples home, so the money was wasted really.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

As I bought the shower, the instructions were in it. Yes I can see how it was meant to go.
    It wasn't sealed.....
    It also wasn't tight against the aqualine, guess he missed a bit of glue, or perhaps his bracing was a bit lacking at the bottom.

whatever, now sealed, too bad you can now see it, at least it stops moisture.

At the time I paid him $500 less, mainly over builders slack time keeping and beer breaks as I thought it was fair.

Now it's even more fair but he is still emailing, ranting at me and now saying he will come round, rip out fittings and I can take HIM to court...at which point he gets his money and more...I pointed out he must follow the process over disputes and that would make it a police matter.
    he said great, they will help get his money.

I then contacted the Plumbing Board and Builderscrack, who were both highly interested and have copies of all his emails.

Board says, if it did progress to a police matter, they would have to consider if he is a "fit and proper person" to hold a license.
    Ex-pctek

Beer breaks lol I though that sort of malarkey ended 30 years ago.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

The liner is meant to be sealed to the tray up-stand about 10mm up not right at the bottom where it can be seen and will go mouldy and or discolour. As for glueing to the wall it actually takes quite a lot of effort to push out the glue lines flat as the glue is quite thick. The liner should be silicone sealed to the wall at the top so that moisture cannot run down behind it. I have done quite a lot of showers in the last couple of years and No beer breaks have been taken.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    The liner is meant to be sealed to the tray up-stand about 10mm up not right at the bottom where it can be seen and will go mouldy and or discolour. As for glueing to the wall it actually takes quite a lot of effort to push out the glue lines flat as the glue is quite thick..
    Yes, I saw the instructions that came with it, I still have them.
    The liner shouldn't have been flopping about at bottom, however. Whereever silicone and glue were put.
    never mind, fixed, sort of, less the bits of plastic still under the waste and door frame...

He said:
    we install shower tray exactly like that every time and builder usually would remove the plastic before installing the doors that he hasn’t I was not aware of.

Uh, "we" do? So you put the waste in, seal that - over the plastic....right.

And:
    And am have full rights to remove fittings. Previous employers I have worked for have went with that approach .
    Ex-pctek

Interestingly, friend of mine has just told me she is doing the same now, complete rip out of bathroom and new everything.
    She wants painted aqualine on walls (has old seratone now), a bigger shower cubicle and vanity - she hasn't decided on what yet..paint ceilings and skirtings etc...

Her room is a bit bigger than the one here. But she won't need any alterations to doors.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes...bet it isn't 12 and a half days!!
    Ex-pctek