Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default What happens to your old computer equipment?

What do you do with them? I tend to hold my system for actually 10yrs haha then I keep the box, recycle everything inside it at the council landfill IT section. Keep the monitor, mouse and keyboard. The 10yr old HDDs still working, I used 2x 500GB with a 1x 1TB. The 2x 500GBs are internal backups. Soon when they fill up, the 500GBs might make it's way to the landfill.

We have some 80GB and 300GB laptop HDDs lying around also.

Thanks.

Default Re: What happens to your old computer equipment?

I only keep mine 2-4 years on average, then I sell them or give them away. Might seem wasteful but after that they have little to no resale value. That has changed a bit, a 5 year old PC today can still be pretty good, but historically they have been superseded very quickly.
    Sometimes I keep them longer, sometimes they have been old when I got them. A lot of friends and family have benefited from my frequent upgrades.

Bear in mind I build PCs to game on mainly, old hardware has limited gaming usefulness.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I keep my stuff until it dies or become obsolete to the point it's not worth keeping.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    I keep my stuff until it dies or become obsolete to the point it's not worth keeping.
    How is it? Does it mean that you have multiple working computers that you use for different things? Are you talking about 10yrs, 20yrs?

For me I only have one working PC and one laptop and one older one probably a 2006 laptop because I run an old film scanner. I do have stuff lying around like PS/2 keyboard with the PS/2 USB converter, 80GB 2.5" IDE and SATA HDDs that has not been plugged into the system for at least 3yrs.

Just bought SWMBO a new laptop and plan to turn her old laptop into a Linux machine to play with.

Ken

System? It gets bits upgraded so there never is an entire PC box as such to dispose off.
    Parts go into the wheelie bin, occasionally have been added to a scrap metal pile.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    How is it? Does it mean that you have multiple working computers that you use for different things? Are you talking about 10yrs, 20yrs?

For me I only have one working PC and one laptop and one older one probably a 2006 laptop because I run an old film scanner. I do have stuff lying around like PS/2 keyboard with the PS/2 USB converter, 80GB 2.5" IDE and SATA HDDs that has not been plugged into the system for at least 3yrs.
    My main desktop runs Win XP. 7 and 10. It was a PB Tech upgrade box bought about 2012. It still runs fine though XP is only used for some old Ulead video editing software. My laptop died (screen) about 6 months ago and haven't replaced it yet but hope to one of these days.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I only keep mine 2-4 years on average, then I sell them or give them away. Might seem wasteful but after that they have little to no resale value. That has changed a bit, a 5 year old PC today can still be pretty good, but historically they have been superseded very quickly.
    Sometimes I keep them longer, sometimes they have been old when I got them. A lot of friends and family have benefited from my frequent upgrades.

Bear in mind I build PCs to game on mainly, old hardware has limited gaming usefulness.
    What in your latest gaming system dugi ?

Built last year, it's in my signature. Went AMD for the first time since core 2 duos first released.
    The graphics card was kept from my previous machine, no real need to upgrade that just yet. Probably could have gone with a Ryzen 5 but I just wanted an 8 core.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I hold onto old IT stuff for far too long.
    If it works but is obsolete, its seems just a waste to trash it
    My old , once expensive, Samsung tablet has been sitting on the shelf for 2 years . Cant bring myself to throw it away .

I have no issue with binning faulty IT gear, unlike some Ive known :-)