Thread: EV Cars again

Default EV Cars again

Ex-pctek

Default Re: EV Cars again

Does seem like a silly mistake for them to have made, wouldn't make me happy if I owned a Tesla.

But this is not specifically an EV problem IMO, it's a car manufacturing problem and they have been happening for as long as cars have been made. If you wanted to try and list all the petrol or diesel powered cars that have developed expensive faults in the first 5 years we'd be here all day, why is it such a big deal that EVs also suffer manufacturing faults. I don't think anyone is seriously claiming EVs are perfect or free from issues.

This is not the sort of fault you'd expect a tech based company like Tesla to make though. Not great publicity. Even I might have figured out saving logs to a fixed flash memory device is a bad Idea.
    Saw it somewhere the other week, Elon had a cryptic response about it shouldn't be an issue now or something like that without any further explanation. Maybe they are planning a firmware fix.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Telsa have taken the MS approach to things .
    Dont worry about log files literally filling up the storage space on default setup , because, who keeps things that long anyway.
    Log files chewing through storage , it hardly uncommon .

Its just fun to wind up EV owners , cut into their smugness . ' I bought a hybrid to save the planet'

"For now, owners of pre-2018 Model S and X vehicles donít seem to have many options ......
    The alternative is to wait until the eMMC chip has breathed its last and begrudgingly pay Tesla to repair an issue that ultimately theyíre responsible for causing"

Hybrid news,
    Prius is being killed off , replaced with Corolla Hybrid
    The new Corolla hybrid uses NiMh batts !!! old batt tech , heavy and may not have very long life . Could be a disaster waiting to happen .

A mate of mine purchased a Mitsubishi Hybrid of some model and having a drive of it I was quite impressed.

The reason he purchased it wasnít about saving the planet, but about saving money on a delivery round his wife did.

All was good for a start and then the battery failed. That cost him almost what he paid for the car and then some electronic component failed and that pushed repairs past the cost of the car.

The component failure raised another issue whereby only certain dealers have the gear to diagnose and repair these vehicles, and do they take advantage of that.

Therefore, the only benefits of owning such a vehicle turned out to be a tax loss, which most of us arenít entitled to.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Done a lot of research regarding EV's and would be nice to own one but there is no such thing as a free lunch

Think they are to expensive to buy here because of availability world wide but as car makers come on board this may change and battery tech improves

The person in the vid is Rich from Rich Rebuilds which I follow https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV...T2ct4SA/videos Buys written off Tesla's and rebuilds them with no help from Tesla at the start

The authority on EV's has to be Bjorn Nyland https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/videos From Norway and as it is the World leader in the uptake of EV's due to incentives has a expanding infrastructure to support these something NZ is lagging in

Just waiting for them here in NZ to hit them with RUC and any advantage is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Just waiting for them here in NZ to hit them with RUC and any advantage is gone
    Really depends what the RUC costs, if it's the same as current diesel cars I think they will still be cheaper to run than a petrol vehicle but the margin will be much smaller.
    The biggest issue with EVs right now is the price of new ones, it's about double what it needs to be to compete with petrol cars.

My leaf is costing me about $5 a week in electricity to travel to work and back for a total of 100km (20km a day) as opposed to around $20 a week in my previous car (toyota corolla).
    RUC charges are currently $72 per 1000km so would add another $7.20 to the weekly total making it $12.20 vs $20

The $5 is at $0.31/kwh which is not great so with a cheaper power rate you could do better.

I didn't buy a leaf to save the planet, I bought it for the cheaper running costs and because I wanted an electric car. I'd consider it a downgrade from the corolla in many ways (Same year, similar mileage) but it's very cheap to run and surprisingly fun to drive round town.

A question nobody can answer right now is which will go up faster, petrol or electricity prices. Or will they stay relatively the same. Too many people buy electric and potentially it could snowball as petrol costs rise and demand for it shrinks. Or maybe petrol will get real cheap because there's too much of it and no buyers.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/wor...awsuit-alleges

US man Omar Awan was driving his dream car when he lost control. The sleek, blue Model S Tesla careened across a road in South Florida and slammed into a palm tree.

But it wasn't the crash that killed him, his family's lawyers said - it was the car's futuristic design features.

That's because the car's retractable door handles, which are supposed to "auto-present" when they detect a key fob nearby, malfunctioned and first responders weren't able to open the doors and save Awan, alleges a wrongful-death lawsuit.
    Ex-pctek