Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Office 2019 vs Office 365

Hi,
    I mostly understand the differences between these two offerings.
    My company has offered a MS Home Use Program (HUP) so in the past I've got the stand-alone Office suite, currently Office 2019.
    They've just changed the HUP so now they only offer Office 365. I'm not a huge fan of the monthly or annual subscription, but it's tempting because the discount continues forever, even if I leave my employer.

If I do decide to switch, I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer to on the MS website:

1) Do I need to uninstall Office 2019 first? If I try installing Office 365 directly, will it upgrade me / uninstall the old Office 2019, or will I end up with two side by side installations?
    2) If I have to uninstall the old version first, is there any easy way of keeping all my settings (apart from having to manually write them all down)?
    3) My current Office install is the 64bit version as I wanted to maximise RAM usage. I've seen suggestions to only install Office 365 as 32bit, even on 64bit machines, because of possible add-in complications. Is this really such a problem?

Also, interested in other thoughts about pros and cons of Office 2019 vs Office 365.
    I am just a home user so my needs aren't complicated, but I prefer to stick with the MS interfaces as I am so used to them through work.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Office 2019 vs Office 365

When you change from One off payment to 365, uninstall Office 2019 first, then install 365, all your settings should remain as per the following article ( the only one I have done this worked as described)

https://office-watch.com/2017/office...-subscription/

The x64 Bit, you have the option when downloading. In the Office.com/myaccount section - install office clcik on Other options:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Other_Options.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	10043

Then From the choose version dropdown box select x64 or x86

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office_version.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	10044

The other question : Office 365 offers a LOT more features and options than the one time payment. One of the biggest pros on 365 is cost. It is basically the professional version and any costs are spread out over time, where as if you only purchased (for example) the cheapest Home and student and later you want more features you are out of luck, cant do it.

but it's tempting because the discount continues forever, even if I leave my employer.
    Not to sure about the Home Use Program version BUT in the Office 365 Home ( 6 users) you can disable users as you see fit.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I also have the employer provided HUP stand alone Office suite.

Why are you wanting to change from the version you have to 365?

Thanks. I an considering changing, because my employer Home Use Program recently changed, so in the future the one-off payment version (eg Office 2019) will not be offered any more. They will only offer the subscription based / Office 365 model. And the discount that they offer lasts forever, even if you leave the employer in the future.
    So it means not only will I have the most up to date software always in the future, at a discounted price, I can install it on multiple devices - at the moment I run it on my desktop but not my laptop or phone. And the 1GB of free storage is tempting.
    I am in Singapore - the Office 365 Personal option (1 user over multiple devices) is SGD $75.60 per year including GST which is the one I was looking to get. They also offer the Office 365 Home version, which must be the one @wainuitech has - up to 6 users for $103.60 per year.
    That's SGD, so around approx $85 NZD as a comparison.

@wainuitech - a few MS articles I read, suggested installing 32bit to avoid compatibility issues, hence why I was asking. Any thoughts on that?

@wainuitech - a few MS articles I read, suggested installing 32bit to avoid compatibility issues, hence why I was asking. Any thoughts on that?
    Well, guess it depends on the type of work being done. For lower usage 32bit is fine and at least as you mentioned its more compatible. Saying that found a article on MS that kind of gives good details so a person can make up their own mind.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-between-the-64-bit-or-32-bit-version-of-office

* sorry I meant to type 1TB of free storage, not 1GB

I guess it really comes down to how much you use office and how important being up to date is for you. For me personally Office hasn't added any new features I need in over 15 years and I would happily still be using office 2003 if it was my choice.
    Work is more or less forced to keep up to date by our clients updating theirs though.

Work offers the HUP here too but the cost was just too high for me even so, we used to be able to get the stand alone version for $15 and I would have done that but that deal ended before I started here so I'll just go without. Office is not worth hundreds of dollars in annual subscriptions to me discount or no discount. I struggle to find more than an occasional use for office at home and can do without it.

So personal choice.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Computer Tech

Stick with 32bit Office unless you are working on massive Excel spreadsheets.
    Office 365 seems to download the 64bit version now by default but even Microsoft suggest staying with 32bit.
    We've come across numerous issues with Office that have been fixed by going back to the 32bit version.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikara View Post
    Also, interested in other thoughts about pros and cons of Office 2019 vs Office 365.
    I am just a home user so my needs aren't complicated, but I prefer to stick with the MS interfaces as I am so used to them through work.
    You've allready paid for Office2019 , so why ditch it for a version with an annual subscription cost ?
    Spending more $ (each year) for little benefit(over 2019) for the av home user

When you need to re-install Office , or when you get a new home PC, then you may have no choice . Wait until then ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    You've allready paid for Office2019 , so why ditch it for a version with an annual subscription cost ?
    Spending more $ (each year) for little benefit(over 2019) for the av home user

When you need to re-install Office , or when you get a new home PC, then you may have no choice . Wait until then ?
    Depend on how much a person wants to keep up.

If you have a 6 user subscription it works out at Approx $26 per person /year for Professional. Try buying that (legally) cheaper.

You can always split the amounts / subscription over friends, family etc, there is even an option to share your subscription on the MS Site. If the paying account holder decides at any time to "cut someone off" they log in and disconnect the person.

If a person wanted the pro version, single user One off payment its close to $700. Where as the single user sub is around $100, so it would take approx 6.5-7 years to pay for your one off Pro, and by that time it would be out of date.

As for reinstalling on a new PC, simple as falling off a greasy log. When ever you install Office ( even one off) you have to sign into MS to create the account to download the install file, at a later time you simply log back in, re download and install, then disconnect the original install. The biggest problem is MANY people always forget the account details they used.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.