Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows 10 AntiVirus Protection

I have used Avast for years but have switched to AVG recently.
    My question is Windows Defender sufficient to deal with all threats without AVG as well?
    I would be interested in your views.

Default Re: Windows 10 AntiVirus Protection

I'd say it depends. Either spend the money on a decent antivirus like perhaps NOD32 or just stick with defender and a couple other free tools and apply a decent amount of common sense.
    Avast and AVG are owned by the same people now and any difference is likely to disappear.

By common sense I mean never click on links in Emails unless you know where they came from for sure, never click on website links or buttons offering to fix some detected threat, don't use driver updater software, always read what you are agreeing to or installing before clicking next (a great deal of unwanted software comes bundled with installers of other software).

For me personally I use defender as my main line of defense and have done since windows 8 came out and have had no issues. I also use the NOD32 free online scan tool scheduled for a monthly scan and do an occasional scan with MBAM.

Once upon a time I used AVG, and later Avast. I've tried several others including kaspersky, norton, mcAfee although not for a few years now. All gave me slow down issues and didn't seem particularly worth the money so I've avoided them ever since. Norton used to be notorious for how hard it is to remove, dunno if that's still true. If I was going to pay for an antivirus it would be NOD32 mostly based on the feedback I've seen here.

And a final thought, if you keep no files you can't afford to lose on your PC and are comfortable reinstalling windows if needed like I am then the possibility of getting infected and starting over is much less of an issue. That's why I'm happy with free solutions.
    If your PC or it's contents are critical to you get a decent antivirus and make sure you have backups.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thank you Dugimodo.
    I think I will follow your example by using Windows Defender and the NOD32 scan.
    By the way I think Avast was the reason my old Toshiba laptop slowed down so much before I fixed the problem.

Regards

Older by the minute

I believe that AVG is well ensconced in the OS and takes some effort to remove. WainuiTech has several posts regarding the removal and you should check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I believe that AVG is well ensconced in the OS and takes some effort to remove. WainuiTech has several posts regarding the removal and you should check them out.
    oh yeah AVG can be a real "interesting " one to remove, it really doesn't want to go

Normally when uninstalling ANY antivirus I use revo uninstaller ( portable version) in Advanced mode, this gets rid of the folders and reg keys it leaves behind.

Had one the other week, AVG went turtle, wasn't in the program folder or list of installed programs. BUT it still kept appearing on each boot. After using their own removal tool AVG Clear it was gone.

https://support.avg.com/SupportArtic...pportType=home

Both AVG and Avast slow the computers down noticeably. As its been already mentioned above -- just use defender or Nod32.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

None of them.

This:
    Eset NOD32.
    End of story.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    My question is Windows Defender sufficient to deal with all threats without AVG as well?
    define sufficient. :-) Sufficient for careful users, or sufficient when kids etc have access to the PC .
    Malware & viruses can and do get passed EVERY AV product . Dont think for an instant that you will ever be 100% protected

The usual infection method is via emails, so ideally you want a AV product that gives some level of email scanning & browser use protection : protects from unsafe websites .
    NOD32 AV does both of those. And its very reliable , causes very few issues . Its not perfect though, nothing is

AVG & Avast are now little better than the malware they protect against (my opinion) . Popups tricking users into paying for full product or addons they dont need .
    Once good products , now just bloatware

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    ideally you want a AV product that gives some level of email scanning & browser use protection : protects from unsafe websites .
    NOD32 AV does both of those. And its very reliable , causes very few issues . Its not perfect though, nothing is

AVG & Avast are now little better than the malware they protect against (my opinion) . Popups tricking users into paying for full product or addons they dont need .
    Once good products , now just bloatware
    Couldn't agree more. Working on a laptop earlier this week, many faults ( or so it seemed) removed Avast, and bingo most of the problems disappeared, ran Various Antimalware removal programs including nod32 removing over 200 infections, Nod32 Picked up 2 Trojans while installing the rest were mainly PUPS. May as well had nothing instead of Avast

I am now using NOD32 as suggested to scan for malware.
    Should I still continue to periodically scan using Spybot Search and Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes?

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    I am now using NOD32 as suggested to scan for malware.
    Should I still continue to periodically scan using Spybot Search and Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes?
    Keep in mind that its a LOT easier to stop infections in the first place with a good AV actually INSTALLED than it is to repair and remove after the fact.

Dont go over "protecting" it often causes more problems than it fixes.

If you have Nod32 actually installed ( not on line scan) by all means run malwarebytes or AdwareCleaner https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ OR even EEK https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/

My Own computers only Run Nod32 (well the Business version) and every so often, maybe once a month I may run Adware cleaner or EEk and they find nothing.

Have a look at the Picture - These are the infections from the logs that Eset stopped going back to 1st Aug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eset_logs_001.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	10042
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-10-2019 at 12:46 PM.