Default Christchurch break

SWMBO and I flew down on Monday fo 5 days, having not been in this part of the world for 25 or so years.

Lots to see and admire. Lots to see that makes us sad. Building, or should I say re-building is going on everywhere and at a frenetic pace. The completed ones are lovely and the ones under construction look to be great when finished.

The people here are lovely, so friendly and seem willing to go the extra mile. The botanical gardens are magnificent and we enjoyed an informative tour around them. The Arts Centre has nice coffee and has been repaired to as it was pre quake. The round town tram ride is not to be missed and the helpful drivers are happy to put a extra set of steps for me, who has difficulty getting on and off.

We drove to New Brighton as the last time we were here the Brighton Pier hadn't been built and the walk to the end and the views were spectacular.

A drive to "The Sign Of The Takahe" in the Cashmere Hills is well worth it and a short walk in their grounds offers great views of the city.

The sad things were the damaged buildings which look like they are sleeping while waiting to be fixed. Some of them propped up with huge RSJ's on platforms weighted down with large blocks of concrete.Gaps everywhere where buildings once stood. The saddest thing we did was driving through the "Red Zone" on the way to New Brighton. All the blocked off streets complete with fruit and flowering trees where houses used to be.

We are enjoying our stay and I recommend a visit if, like us, you haven't been here for a while.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Default Re: Christchurch break

Glad you're enjoying it

I was there a week after the Feb earthquake for 10 days helping out thru work. Was surreal.
    Be interesting to see how it's changed since.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Building, or should I say re-building is going on everywhere and at a frenetic pace. The completed ones are lovely and the ones under construction look to be great when finished.

Yes. maybe they should have used the army. Took 2 years to rebuild Napier and Hastings, and now it's a tourist attraction - the art deco style...

Ch/ch, years and years and what has been done is crap. Can't build a paper bag these days.....
    Ex-pctek

The difference was that Napier had a Commissioner who was empowered by the Gov't to oversee the rebuild. His word was final. Christchurch rebuild is probably run by many grey men in grey suits.

Ken

Senior

Nice to read positive comments about ChCh from a visitor's perspective kenj. It's easy to focus on the negatives sometimes when you live here.

We viewed the Quake Memorial on the riverside today. Things like this are pretty easy for a council to balls up. Nice to see they hadn't just done that. It is a huge memorial but simplicity is the theme. Large marble block construction and simple text used in listing the date and names of the deceased.
    Lovely viewing area with new planted trees.

Well done Christchurch City Council.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 17-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.

VoidMaster

I was down there around the Bridge of Remembrance then walked up Cashel Street with my dog.

No rubbish bins to be seen all along the river bank from Gloucester Street To Cashel Street to put dog poo bag into.

After ten years its still a shocking mess and the new buildings mostly don't fit with the previous architecture that survived the earthquakes.

2/10 from me for CCC.

My dog and I used to go by the Kate Shepard Memorial when it was part of the red zone and my dog would try to catch rats in the bushes there and a lovely rose garden, I used to sit on a convenient bench watching her, lots of other people used to laugh at her she was so funny.

We went back there, all bushes and bench gone and rose garden replaced by lawn, not an improvement.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 17-10-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Did 21/2 years in Chch during the early days of the rebuild, I hated every minute of living there, but at the time needs must. I'm quite happy to visit now though, it was the broken streets, crowding and general city living I hated being a country boy at heart.

I would say come to Hanmer for a couple of days now schools have gone back it's very quiet again. I won't be here this weekend though off to Nelson this morning for brother-in-laws funeral.