Default Advice on making a DVD for an elderly relative

I want to compile a DVD of photos and videos for a very elderly relative in UK. He has no means of viewing it, so will be calling on outside help. I have no idea how he will view it - PC, DVD player and TV or what, so it needs to be really flexible and easy to use.

I've tried a few things, but they all seem eventually to come up against the "foolproof and easy to use" barrier.

I'm happy and capable to do some IT-related work to set it all up if necessary.

Any ideas?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Advice on making a DVD for an elderly relative

make 2 disks , so if one isnt viewable with what he has , the other will be

1) just a normal data DVD. Burn the photos to a DVD disk : viewable on a PC

2) make a DVD photo album, thats viewable on old TV's if they have an old school DVD player(box)
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11363953878477

3) copy the photos onto a FAT32 USB flash drive : veiwable on PC's , newish TV's & TV DVD players , media players etc
    Make sure you format it as FAT32 first

All assuming he has some from the 2000's , hes not still using an old valve B&W TV

4) copy into the cloud & share the link : someone here will have an idea of the best websites for this

There's no foolproof for DVDs but if you use Authoring software to create a standard DVD as per 1101's option 2) above it will play in most DVD players and on a PC. Many older players didn't read burnt disks though, hopefully there's not many of those still around.
    But yeah do multiple options as suggested, disks are cheap. Flash drive is a great suggestion too, many modern PCs have no optical drive.

Use a Verbatim or Mitsubihi or Taiyo Yuden blank disk if you worry about long term reliability (My research is many years out of date though, this may have changed).
    I used to burn a lot of movies back when Nero was the most common authoring tool, I found after a few years the number of disks that are still 100% readable is really poor.
    Even many namebrands you'd expect to be good really weren't.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

The 2-DVD idea is a good one. I should have thought of that. Flash Drive/Cloud - I can see his eyes glazing over and hear the panic in his voice. I don't know what sort of TV he has, but I suspect he doesn't have any sort of player. He will probably go to a neighbour or the local library, which is why I said I had no idea how he will view it.
    Last edited by Tony; 09-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Adding to Dugimodo's post, dont use re-writable DVD's they often fail to work in other players and fail generally.

There's plenty of creative software about to make a Standard DVD.

One I just came across and it worked fine in Windows to sandbox is Microsofts Photo Story, rather old and limited to some options and the default creates the finished file as a .wmv, although the options may allow different profiles ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profiles.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	10038
    BUT https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=11132

The other one I have used is Ashampoo Slideshow Studio, just looked and the 2019 version is free (used 2017 in the past) has several options / formats on saving.

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/...ow-studio-2019

The only problem with Ashampoo is you have to create a free account to get the licence key. No big deal, esp if like me you use a LOT of their software

Edited: then of course theres a online option. Not to sure how well google is but ??? https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/slides/about/
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks everyone. I've got several different authoring pgms that I've used over the years, so I'm sure I'll be able to sort that side of things.