Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Must Read

Default A Must Read

From End to End.

HERE
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: A Must Read

I don't actually care what causes warming. Yes the planet has had these periods before.
    They are too focused on it, never mind the warming, what about the pollution?
    The concreting over of the planet? The loss of species, the loss of important ones, like, say bees.

The fights over water.

The fact that there are too many humans, never mind all this crap about shoving us in tall apartments, several families to one, feeding us plankton wafers instead of real food - oh hang on, thats Make Room, Make Room, Harry harrison.

Whatever.

We are ultimately doomed anyway. If we don't pollute ourselves, warm ourselves, bomb ourselves, something will help - like an asteroid or two, or eventually the suns death or whatever.

Enjoy it while it lasts. leave the shirt rending and scourging to the religious.
    Ex-pctek

Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    From End to End.

HERE
    Thats an interesting link. Melanie Phillips is a lady with strong views on a number of subjects, including climate change and the supposed dangers of the MMR vaccine. Here are two extracts from her Wikipedia entry:

<<
    Climate change

Phillips opposes the scientific consensus on climate change: She has argued that "there is no evidence for global warming... the seas are not rising any more than is in any way out of the ordinary, the ice is not decreasing, it is increasing, the polar bears are increasing in number, and the temperature is going down, not up". She believes that "The warming that was observed between 1978–1998 has stopped and global temperatures have plateaued." She has further argued that "Man-made global warming theory has been propped up by studies that many scientists have dismissed as methodologically flawed, ideologically bent or even fraudulent." She has written that "The claim that CO2 emissions are acidifying the oceans is a favourite of climate-change alarmists" and that "claims that coral reefs are doomed by ocean acidification are overplayed".

MMR vaccine

Melanie Phillips supported Andrew Wakefield, whose fraudulent work triggered controversy about the MMR vaccine and led to his being struck off the medical register. Through numerous articles in the Daily Mail and The Spectator, Phillips championed Wakefield's claims while casting doubt on their rebuttal by scientists, doctors, and politicians. Her attacks on MMR attracted criticism from scientists and science writers. Phillips continued to support Wakefield after his research methods and motives began to attract serious scrutiny and criticism: "While Mr Wakefield is being subjected to a witch-hunt, and while the parents of the affected children are scandalously denied legal aid to pursue the court case which may well have finally brought to light the truth about MMR, those powerful people in the medical establishment are continuing to misrepresent the evidence."
    >>

Most of the links Phillips supplies to back her climate change denial stance lead to Denialist web-sites and provide no surprises. But there is one interesting quote from the secretary-general of the World Meteorological Organisation, who is concerned by developments like the Extinction Rebellion movement and the impact of Greta Thunberg. Here it is:

<<
    Petteri Taalas, the secretary-general of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), told the Talouselšmš magazine in Finland of his concerns about doomsday climate extremists calling for radical action to prevent a purported apocalypse.

“It is not going to be the end of the world. The world is just becoming more challenging. In parts of the globe living conditions are becoming worse, but people have survived in harsh conditions.”
    >>

But she fails to quote the rest of the same statement which goes like this:

<<
    "Working with our Members – the world’s 193 meteorological and hydrological services – we monitor the state of the climate, provide services in key areas such as early warning of weather and environmental hazards, and build global capacity to get the best data and analysis possible.

We have seen recording-breaking temperatures and greenhouse gas concentrations, the smallest amount of sea ice in the Arctic, melting mountain glaciers and rising sea levels.

It is highly important that we rein in greenhouse gas emissions, notably from energy production, industry and transport. This is critical if we are to mitigate climate change and meet the targets set out in the Paris Agreement on climate change.

To stop a global temperature increase of more than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, the level of ambition needs to be tripled. And to limit the increase to 1.5 degrees, it needs to be multiplied by five.

The challenges are immense. But in my interview, I underlined that we must not be driven to despair, given that reasonable, consensus-based solutions are available to the international community, governments and civil society."
    >>

Why spoil a good story with superfluous detail?

Good one Jayess64

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    Thats an interesting link. Melanie Phillips is a lady with strong views on a number of subjects, including climate change and the supposed dangers of the MMR vaccine. Here are two extracts from her Wikipedia entry:

<<
    Climate change

Phillips opposes the scientific consensus on climate change: She has argued that "there is no evidence for global warming... the seas are not rising any more than is in any way out of the ordinary, the ice is not decreasing, it is increasing, the polar bears are increasing in number, and the temperature is going down, not up". She believes that "The warming that was observed between 1978Ė1998 has stopped and global temperatures have plateaued." She has further argued that "Man-made global warming theory has been propped up by studies that many scientists have dismissed as methodologically flawed, ideologically bent or even fraudulent." She has written that "The claim that CO2 emissions are acidifying the oceans is a favourite of climate-change alarmists" and that "claims that coral reefs are doomed by ocean acidification are overplayed".
    Well what she said is pretty much it. I donít have a problem with any of it.

What I will add is that we, NZ, have agreed to pay some 3rd World Countries $1.4 BILLION a year for the next decade. HERE
    (The Presidents or whoever should be able to afford a new Dreamliner every year.)

And then Australia on the case again. Minister takes a look at the Great Barrier Reef to see for herself but canít find any of the problems she was being conned with. HERE

MMR is totally another matter, although I suggest the whole thing would have gone away, as it has in the past, if it hadnít been for a Media beat-up preying on all the Alarmists.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

MMR is totally another matter, although I suggest the whole thing would have gone away, as it has in the past, if it hadnít been for a Media beat-up preying on all the Alarmists.
    How could you believe anything the stupid woman says about anything after the measles problem we and other countries have had over the last few months. Trouble is that they are given publicity at all. Perhaps one of the NZ mothers who lost an unborn child due to contracting measles should be able to sue the arse off her or one of her many NZ anti vaccinators idiot friends.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 06-10-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    How could you believe anything the stupid woman says about anything after the measles problem we and other countries have had over the last few months. Trouble is that they are given publicity at all. Perhaps one of the NZ mothers who lost an unborn child due to contracting measles should be able to sue the arse off her or one of her many NZ anti vaccinators idiot friends.

Ken
    What Measles problem? Was that like the Bird Flu Pandemic, or the Swine Flu Pandemic, or the Aids Virus from which we are all supposed to be dead by now.

I must live a very sheltered life because I donít know anybody that suffered from any of them except measles and that was donkeys years ago.

Maybe you would like to tell us about the drug Thalidomide and the outcome of taking that drug?

I must live a very sheltered life
    You certainly must!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I must live a very sheltered life because I don’t know anybody that suffered from any of them except measles and that was donkeys years ago.

Yes was a bit dramatic, a few babies ended up in hospital and there are the antivax nutters causing most of it.
    I had measles as a kid, then again at Tech. Didn't know, just a headache and a bit tired, which I put down to studying...until the spots arrived.

Dr said, yes you can get it more than once.
    Ex-pctek