Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Internet connection issues

This one's a little weird and maybe it's just me being paranoid. Not a big deal if I don't solve it unless things get worse but happy to hear some suggestions.

So, I have a camera on my garage pointing at the house for security. Initially I connected it by wi-fi but the connection was unreliable.'To fix this I used a set of powerline adapters and because I had it laying around I set up an old tp-link modem/router as a wireless access point & switch then ran an ethernet cable from that to the camera. This is now very reliable. I also use the shed wifi connection to a smart switch to let me open the garage door - also very reliable.

So that's the setup, here's the issue. Every now and again when I get on the internet after work a lot of sites fail to connect or there's a big delay before they work. Sites like youtube, stuff, this forum, all give me issues.
    Just peak demand and congestion maybe I thought to start with, but it's bad even considering that. I have 100mb fibre and it's generally very fast any time of the day.

Here's where the paranoia kicks in, one time when it was particularly bad I logged onto my router and rebooted it to see if that would help. It fixed the problems immediately, in fact too fast because the internet didn't drop. I rebooted the wrong router by mistake (the one in the shed), and because all it does it extend wifi and an ethernet connection into my shed it shouldn't have worked. So now I'm wondering if someone is periodically hacking into my shed wifi or the stream from the camera or something, or is it possible the TP-Link is having a breakdown or the two routers are not getting along? The shed router is configured as an access point with the wizard and DHCP is off. It works fine most of the time.

Any Ideas welcome, my main router is the one supplied by chorus and has been remarkably stable for a freebie. I think I've rebooted it 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Internet connection issues

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    .... I set up an old tp-link modem/router as a wireless access point & switch .
    just asking for issues
    did you disable DHCP ? Is it still disabled
    Just buy a cheap wifi access point or ethernet switch
    why do you even need that old modem/router ? Cant you connect cam direct into powerline adapter ?

is that camera internet connected : if so , be 100% sure about security issues opening cams to internet

Try adding 8.8.8.8 for the DNS on the PC (as a test when you have issues)
    Any 3rd party firewall installed on the PC ?
    are the issues when Win10 could be downloading a major update
    does any other device have these internet issues ? (eg phone laptop tablet etc)

DHCP is off as above
    need wifi for the shed door opener as above
    can connect the cam direct to the powerline, loose the shed door opener in the process though.
    no 3rd party firewalls
    using it as an access point is one of it's working modes, why is that asking for trouble any more than a cheap access point ? but it's one possible source of the problem for sure.
    Don't think it's windows updating, happened a bit too often for that and there was no sign of any updates that I recall.
    I haven't tried other devices enough to be sure, I think it effects them all but fair point, I'll try that next time (working perfectly tonight)

Writing the original post made me realise there's a few simple things I can try that never occured to me, laying it all out helps.
    For example
    Unplugging the cam
    Turning off the wifi
    Turning off the shed door opener

and from your post
    trying another device
    plugging the can in direct

I've been asked why I need the door opener, it's a convenience and I like it. My proper remotes are terrible and work about 50% of the time. Even with a new battery I've had to walk around to the side of the shed and use it through the window.
    With a cheap wifi switch I can open the door with my phone with much better reliability.

Is the Cam got its own 12V power Supply or is it POE ? Also is the Cam itself set with a Static IP address OR getting it from the Router (DHCP) ??

When I put one of my cams in, there was a hell of a problem cut outs with the router trying to issue it the same address as another (even though all the others have a static) as soon as I logged in to the Cam set it to its own static IP the problem went away.

Maybe theres some sort of conflict causing cut outs.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I have my main router with DHCP set to hand out addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 The Cam and a few other network devices have static IP addresses in the .2 - .99 range (think there are 4, will have a look but I'm sure there are no conflicts with the static IPs
    The main router is 192.168.1.254, the secondary one acting as an access point is 192.168.1.1 All my PCs are set to automatic and get addresses typically in the .101-.105 range along with my tablet and phone.

Camera has it's own power supply, or there's an inline power adapter you can use for poe (not using this). I like the Idea of POE but I'm not set up for it.

My network has gotten a little messy and could use some organising. I have 2 NAS devices (one just comes on once a week and backs up a folder on the other) with static IPs, one camera with a static IP, an internal camera and a video doorbell with dynamic IPs, 3 pcs, a tablet, a phone, a laptop, and a garage door opener all with dynamic ips (not sure on the door opener set it up once and have never needed to touch it again)

kinda seems like a lot for just me when I write it all out, and I forgot to mention the laptop

By the sounds of it its not conflicts.

re the POE - its still easy enough to setup, you can just use a POE Injector. Plugged in next to your Access Point ( since its an old router) the main router is still doing most of the work.

The Injectors I use are from TP-Link. https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/accessory/tl-poe150s Around the $35 area.

I have one connecting the ceiling access point in the Lounge. It was either a case of somehow add in another power Socket in the roof (not to keen on that) or plug in an injector in the office which is on the other side of the house and run a cat5 cable to the lounge. Didn't want to go buying a 8 port POE Switch.

This is only a shot in the dark, may or may not prove anything -- Download and run IP-Scanner http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ ( its free).

When the Network is running OK, do a scan and either screen shot or write down all the devices. When it plays up, scan again - compare the two, see if anythings dropped out, or if theres a "surprise" connection that's not meant to be there.

The reasoning behind this is to see if some device is playing up, and try to locate where.

Word of warning you may get a surprise as to the number of connections and whats connected

Just a passing thought, - any Access points I set up are always well away from default IP's, meaning i wouldn't use .1 or .54
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-10-2019 at 10:04 AM.

I just left it at it's default of .1.1 because nothing else was using it, the other router defaults to .1.254

I should map out a lit of all my static IPs so I don't double allocate.

Th Huawei router does list all connected devices and I've looked there before, but it uses MAC address IDS by default so it's not the easiest to relate to actual devices.

There has always been a random android phone device that shows on the network and has to be one of my devices but I gave up solving that. Tried blocking the MAC address, changing passwords, changing routers, it pops up again with a different name. Been there for years and never caused an issue so I ignore that now.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I should map out a lit of all my static IPs so I don't double allocate.

Th Huawei router does list all connected devices and I've looked there before, but it uses MAC address IDS by default so it's not the easiest to relate to actual devices.
    Yes it does, but that IP scanner not only shows the actual IP address, it also shows the MAC address, the Manufacture all at a simple glance, as well as if you have a device (say a NAS) it shows all the shares as well. That's how I found out my Cam fault, discovered the IP from the Cam was the same as another device, for some reason the Router thought the Cam was one of my Servers.

Your choice of course, ( don't worry me none) but the Router isn't as detailed.

Old guy

Another useful tool to find your IP addresses is Fing it is available for Android and Apple phones/Tablets. It is free to install and use but does give more features for a subscription.

Oh I'm going to run the scanner tonight when I'm home, just saying I have looked at the router list in the past.