Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renovation

Default Re: Renovation

One house we lived in, we had a wet floor bathrom cum toilet, concrete floor, installed had to wait 3 days for it to set & dryout before lino laid. Strip wash ok. Toilet? We had a big workshop/shed close to the house. I got a 20 litre paint pail, put a black rubbish bag in it & used that out there. Next morning after a days use I dug a hole down the back of the garden near a willow tree & buried it there. Four times. Dont know what the willow tree thought but it didnt die. When needs must!! PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Hope to god they dont decide the old lino might have asbestos .

They're not removing my loo...but although I'd use a bucket, my mum wouldn't, even if she could,m which she couldn't.
    Ex-pctek

I did my bathroom and toilet myself, and Its nearly finished after over 1 year of mucking round and other projects.
    But yes Seratone does seem to be a bit old fashioned these days.
    Its more water resistant gib board and a few coats of paint.
    Or tiles.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    But yes Seratone does seem to be a bit old fashioned these days.
    Its more water resistant gib board and a few coats of paint.
    Or tiles.
    I don't care.
    Coloured, patterned Seratone is old fashioned, and you can't buy it anymore anyway.
    This is white.
    Plain white.

I have had a few houses, gib, tile, etc.
    Never again. Tile is OK, but it's more expensive, budget is minimal.
    Then there's the grout, yes you can get that special stuff, even so, it discolours after a while.

I've also had Seratone, the last place.

There is that gib whatever stuff there now. It's ****ed to put it bluntly.
    Which is why I am having to do this...and hope the framing behind is still OK.
    Ex-pctek

The gib used for wet areas is still really meant to be lined with something waterproof. Painting it might be good enough but it's the absolute minimum and needs to be done properly.
    My shower is lined with Gib, and then seratone over top of it. However if I was doing it again I would have bought a premade plastic liner and matching base That way 3 sides are one continuous water proof piece.

I wasn't able to source that option when I built my bathroom a few years ago so we used gib and seratone instead.
    One problem I've found being tall is that most premade shower cubicles are designed for midgets. I step into them in the showroom and I'm looking over the top of the wall and I'm not that tall. At 197cm I'm just under standard door height, why are showers shorter?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I used white seratone for the ceiling and hardiglaze panels over waterresistant gib on the walls. Still looks good over 10 years later. Condensation was a little issue even with an extractor fan in the ceiling but this was solved once a shower dome was fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    hardiglaze panels over waterresistant gib on the walls. Still looks good over 10 years later.
    That the stuff and way I did our bathroom as well, HardieGlaze Tile Lining in Listello with the water resistant gib on first. Still looks like new.

Biggest problem was walls not being straight or Square.

You get what you pay for.
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Our shower is 2m. Apparently standard now.
    Seratone gets installed with some stuff behind it too....so builder says.
    Don't remember husband doing something behind it, but whatever....whatever the builder says.

I imagine the Hardiglaze is more or less the same thing.

"

Seratone or Hardiglaze: Seratone has a glossy paint finish over a hardboard sheet, and Hardiglaze has a glossy paint finish over a fibre cement sheet. Seratone was commonly used as a shower liner over stainless steel trays before other options became available. It is pretty reliable if it is installed properly using the drip edge system such as over a stainless steel tray or coved vinyl and can last up to 40 years. When Seratone gets old or stays wet for long periods it absorbs water and becomes soft and breaks, when Hardiglaze gets old or stays wet for long periods it gets brittle and fragile and breaks "

https://www.bathroomtransformations.co.nz/showers/

Laminex Technical Statement

Seratone is a pre-finished wall and ceiling panel manufactured on a lightweight, high density fibreboard. Seratone panels have a smooth,
    glass-like finish, providing a tough, durable, non-porous surface that easily resists marks, stains, steam or moisture. Panels are easy to
    clean, impervious to moisture and will not support mould growth.

Seratone panels can be used in dry, wet or hygiene area applications such as bathrooms, laundries, shower wall and ceiling linings, retail
    fitouts, partitioning, service and food processing areas

And it's a done deal. I can't afford tile and it's sure not having bloody gib.

I have had the stuff before. It lasts ages, as I said, there's one wall with an ancient bit on it ('70s ish)), still perfect. Although it will come out, it has to, to move stuff around.

So long as you don't make holes in it.
    Ex-pctek