Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renovation

Default Re: Renovation

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Our shower is 2m. Apparently standard now.
    Well if that's the standard now it's an improvement. Seemed like 1.8 was when I was looking. 2M is still too short though. Imagine the shower cubicle was level with the top of your head. Doesn't work.
    Mine is more than 3M on 3 sides, and the glass door I added later is 2.1M and comes from a bunnings shower that is also 2.1M. The door is able to be bought & used separately and it's perfect Before that I had a curtain.

If that shower had existed at bunnings I might have used it instead of making my own.
    I did get my floor tiled even though I did my bathroom on the cheap as well. It cost less that I thought it would and I'm glad I did it. Definitely more expensive than lino of course.
    I don't remember what I spent to change the smallest bedroom into a bathroom but I think it was in the $12K- $15k range with a new bath, shower, & vanity.

Anyway nothing wrong with seratone, hope it all goes to plan.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Whatever you do, DON'T install a shower dome.
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Whatever you do, DON'T install a shower dome.
    Why?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Yes. why no shower dome??????? PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Shower Domes are a gimmick.

Because of the excess heat that they generate in the shower cubicle, it tends to soften/weaken the glue/adhesive that is used to attach the shower lining to the wooden studs/framing used in the walls

You are better off installing a heat/steam extractor fan in your bathroom
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

sounds like you just need better glue on your walls. Had a shower dome for 3 years, nothing fallen off yet
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Interesting.
    When I bought the shower, the sales guy suggested a dome, I said the walls are going to be Seratone and he said oh, you don't need one then.

Consumer mag has an article, it said - without an extractor - humidity climbed, 70, 80, 100 in a few seconds.
    Having one, it stayed at 70%.

And said while that's good, (Is it??) extractors use bugger all power.

I am not having one anyway, we have an extractor, in fact I put it in recently, a new more powerful better brand one.

And who cares, seratone is easy to wipe down, I never actually did in Ranui...I cleaned the walls now and then though, with a sponge mop...easy as.
    Ex-pctek

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0854.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	10026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0858.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	10027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0855.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	10028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0874.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	10029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0859.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	10030

It looks better than it is. Because I painted the lot a month ago. vanity, walls, door, ceiling.

Some idiot put this wet floor shower by that door, hence rotting it.
    And that vanity...it's swelled out too, never mind the '70s look. The taps drip too, and no it's not a washer.
    And I could go on.

Ugh.

There is black particles falling out the bottom of those panels, that and the lino isn't joined, never mind those joins you can see in the lino....
    Both doors will be removed, inc frames, a new door and frame built further out from the loo door. hence one door to 2 rooms, cause the wall stays.

Weird but it has to go like that, can't have shower at other end, and the only other fix is to make it one room properly, moving loo and loo sewage as well, and that's way beyond the money I have left.

vanity I have is a modern one from sons work, with a proper mixer tap and no baby **** brown bench tops. LOL...

Oh and she doesn't know it yet, but that stupid annoying skinny sink in the loo is going to have a bad accident and be removed. And the gigantic mirror (!!) in that loo too.
    (Who puts a mirror in a loo?)
    Ex-pctek

Showerbond which is the correct glue to fix a shower liner is designed to not soften with heat

Interesting.
    When I bought the shower, the sales guy suggested a dome, I said the walls are going to be Seratone and he said oh, you don't need one then.

Consumer mag has an article, it said - without an extractor - humidity climbed, 70, 80, 100 in a few seconds.
    Having one, it stayed at 70%.

And said while that's good, (Is it??) extractors use bugger all power.

I am not having one anyway, we have an extractor, in fact I put it in recently, a new more powerful better brand one.

And who cares, seratone is easy to wipe down, I never actually did in Ranui...I cleaned the walls now and then though, with a sponge mop...easy as.
    salesman is kinda BS. what hes referring to is that seratone doesn't absorb water so who cares if its gets wet.
    however many other things in the bathroom (ceiling, cabinets etc) are not water proof. also many people fail to seal the joins of the seratone so water gets in around the joins and soaks into the timber behind it.
    its best to make it as air tight as possible as air leaking through any gaps will pull moisture through with it.

70% humidity is average for NZ climate. extractor fans are good, but there is a few catches. you need an air inlet, typically they trim a bit off the bottom of the door. you really want the fans that have the built in flaps. this seals the fan when its not in use. otherwise your household heat pours out the bathroom fan. fans only work as good as the hose, solid pipe is best and bigger is better. if its noisy there is probably a restriction somewhere.
    if you do not want to hear bathroom noises in the rest of the house, you will need to have a fairly well sealed door and put a separate air inlet in the room (eg from a ventilation system) otherwise the vent fan will not work.

Oh and she doesn't know it yet, but that stupid annoying skinny sink in the loo is going to have a bad accident and be removed. And the gigantic mirror (!!) in that loo too.
    (Who puts a mirror in a loo?)
    those skinny hand basins i nthe loo are a good thing. its does allow for a hallway door to be removed. (without a hand basin by the toilet you have to have two doors between kitchen and bathroom). tho it not be needed once the two rooms are combined.
    mirror in the loo, ewww.
    Tweak it till it breaks