Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renovation

Default Renovation

We're having a major bathroom reno.
    Rip the lot out and start over.

It's so small, can't afford to knock through into loo properly so the fix is remove both doors (At right angles to each other), bring frame out some and have one door to 2 rooms.
    And reuse shower mixer ans slide (new, Methven), got vanity off son from his work, so that helped.

And Seratone the entire room, ceiling to floor, and hope when they pull the existing walls off the framing isn't rotten, cause that kills the budget.

4 days they reckon, with aged mum (who insists I am doing this cause "I don't like anything in her house") it's going to be a bit of a hassle.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Renovation

Good luck with the old biddie. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

4 days?

You'll be lucky
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    4 days?

You'll be lucky
    That's what they said.

It's small. All it is, is pull walls off, redo in Seratone, then shift existing pipes over a bit, not far, and bung in shower cubicle and vanity.
    I paint the new skirtings, and ceiling and some other guys come to do lino after.
    Builder makes a new door and frame.

Long enough for that.
    Ex-pctek

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

i tried to Seratone the walls of my bathroom myself, stuffed up two sheets one my mis measuring (the walls were not square thats my excuse and I am sticking with it!) then chipped another levering it into position. I threw my cut sheets and leftovers in the rubbish and looked up builder in the Western Leader.
    On the same job I was going to replace the bath but I couldnt get it out so I smashed it up, then gave myself a deep cut on a broken piece if that was not enough the particle board under the bath was like weetbix. Not surprising because the reason I was doing the job in the first place was the bath was cracked from a soap dish or something falling and hitting it.
    Got this old hua in for a cashie and he made it look easy probaly 40 years of experience might have something to do with it.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

One thing you have to plan for is to remember the facilities wont be available for use when its being done. When doing our bathroom it was "fun" we had a bath with a shower over it, and it was used daily, so for a short while we had black plastic sheet Walls, and could get the bath in/out in under 2 minutes connected / disconnected from the waste pipe

What sometimes held up progress was waiting for adhesives to dry, the Shower tray it was instructed not to stand or touch for a minimum of 24 Hours. (same for tiles)

When doing the Loo we had a portable (same as ones in caravans) for about a week. That was similar, rip all the walls out, re plumb the basin and toilet waste (plumber was good though and on time), reline, tile the floor ( Before new loo went in) THEN came the painting, grouting etc.

Small rooms often take longer that bigger.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.

4 days is plenty if everything is square and plumb

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    And Seratone the entire room, ceiling to floor, and hope when they pull the existing walls off the framing isn't rotten, cause that kills the budget.
    any reason for using seratone?
    one thing to watch putting seratone on an outside wall means that wall has to dry to the outside only. there is a risk of moisture coming through the wall (normal) and hitting cold seratone and condensing. that in turns means wet moldy/rotten wall.
    good insulation will help. i would insulate the interior walls as well as that helps stops condensation forming on the bathroom walls.

if you need to stick to a budget, doing the lino yourself is not terribly difficult for a small bathroom. if its wooden floor you will need a sealer (they have kits) and use backed lino. cut to fit and glue on.
    the backed lino helps hide the bumps etc. proper lino you need to sand the floor perfectly smooth otherwise any bump will show.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    any reason for using seratone?

if you need to stick to a budget, doing the lino yourself is not terribly difficult for a small bathroom.
    Husband did seratone in first house - yes Prefect, he measured wrong too, rather than buy a new sheet, he just used a joiner and there was one bit with the wee join....

Ranui had it too. All round.
    best stuff ever. IT's cheaper than tile, no grout either...and easy to wipe down and waterproof. So long as you don't make holes in it.

There's one really old bit in this one at back, it's the only wall in good condition.

Lino - no thanks. I've been a plumber, an electrician, a lawn person, a gardener, a cleaner, a builder already here.
    I don't want to be a lino layer. I still have to be a painter again, later. Don't mind that too much, hate the sanding though.

Its bugger all, $165 for the laying. Not inc the cost of actual lino.

The builder is the biggest cost for this bathroom, and I'm sure not attempting what he's doing.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    One thing you have to plan for is to remember the facilities wont be available for use when its being done. er.
    I know. My mum can go round the road to church friends.
    We'll go to the aquatic centre, $1.60 for a shower.
    Ex-pctek