Default Upgrade BIOS on Gigabyte Mobo to run 2nd Gen Ryzen

Hi
    I have a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H board, unused. Will not run 2nd gen Ryzen. Bought it 2 year ago planning on getting a 1700x for it. Didn't. Bought a new Asus B450 board.
    I am buying a Ryzen 5 2600 and will put it into the Asus board and want to update the Gigabyte board so I can run the Ryzen 5 2400G in it and put the 2600 into the Asus board.
    No shop in town has an AM4 socket chip to be able to do the BIOS flash to run 2nd Gen Ryzen. There are used 1200/1300/1600/1700 Ryzens on trademe for prices from $150-$400! Absurd.
    There is one that appeals and I would like to know it it will run in the Gigabyte mobo so I can do the Bios update. Nowhere can I find what the BIOS version already is on the Gigabyte mobo. The person selling the Chip bought it for the same reason as I did but he wanted to upgrade a B450 to be able to run 3rd Gen Ryzen.
    So, my query is will the CPU actually enable the Gigabyte board to POST? Is the Chip 2nd Gen? I have tried to find info on the net and from GByte but getting nowhere.
    According to the info the Chip is on the Gigabyte CPU list. The CPU is an AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2Ghz AM4 CPU.

CPU supported on the Gigabyte Board.

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Motherbo...rt#support-cpu

AMD Athlon 200GE

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-athlon-200ge

Cheers.
    Last edited by kioti; 30-09-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Default Re: Upgrade BIOS on Gigabyte Mobo to run 2nd Gen Ryzen

It's first gen but released later so maybe not supported by early BIOS versions.

If you can find one of the bristol ridge chips near the bottom of the cpu list they are likely your safest bet, and in theory should be cheap (but probably aren't)
    there's an A6-9500 on trademe for $62 or so but thats crazy too.

Something I tried for an old intel board was buying a replacement BIOS chip off Ebay, it was cheap enough but failed - the board was faulty though and it was a last ditch attempt to do something with it.
    The beauty of your board is it has dual BIOS so if the Chip is socketed you could try that.

You could try an online supplier like playtech, maybe you could ship the board to them or someone else for updating
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

We keep a CPU here specifically for this purpose. Probably not a lot of help for you in this case though.

If you did want to courier your mainboard I could do it, PM me if you're interested and can discuss logistics.
    Last edited by wratterus; 30-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

The question you ask regarding is the Athlon compatible - we can't answer that without knowing what BIOS revision your board is currently running.

The older Bristol Ridge CPUs run on the original F1 release, the Raven Ridge (like the 200GE you mention) are on F23, so that is a much newer revision.

There are also issues with the newer BIOS revisions not working fully with the older Bristol Ridge CPUs so potentially it's a bit of a minefield.
    Last edited by wratterus; 30-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

dugimodo
    Hi. Yeah I saw the A6-9500 and a couple other Bristol Ridge CPU's but they were all in the United Kingdom and new. I am not having much joy looking in TradeMe for AMD AM4 CPU/APU. The pages are 90-95% full of New Items. Be nice if I could find an auction in there that has 2x AM4 units offered for $5.00 each like the 2x AM3 quadcores I got when my AMD Athlon IIx4 630 2.8Ghz was playing up in December last. Both units worked perfectly
    The bummer is not knowing what revision of BIOS is on the Gigabyte board. I know it cannot be the F10 version because that is what was needed to run the Ryzen 5 2400G and that didn't happen. Basically that is the BIOS version I need to get the 2400G to run in the board. The BIOS version in the board is probably the F2 or F3... as they are the BIOS for the Ryzen 1200/1300/1500 CPU's....So its a bit of a stinker really
    Unfortunately the Boards Dual Bios chips are not socketed but soldered in. Like 10-12 legged miniature spiders.
    Cheers
    Last edited by kioti; 30-09-2019 at 04:35 PM.

wratterus
    hi. I can understand what you are saying about the BIOS and the unknown BIOS revision currently on the Gigabyte board. I think it is the F2 or F3 revision that is on it at the moment. Gigabyte NZ couldn't offer any advice or help. Understandable I suppose.
    I will PM you shortly to get you location in NZ and then I can inquire with Courier Post about Return cost of sending the board in its original packaging box to you to do the BIOS update and we can logistics
    I am in Dunedin so I will PM you shortly.
    I not to good in minefields...give them a wide berth.
    Thanks
    Last edited by kioti; 30-09-2019 at 04:47 PM.

What I wish to do is have the Ryzen 5 2600 running in the Asus Prime B450M-A and the Ryzen 5 2400G in the Gigabyte board. I game moderately and either Processor would be good for that and other general use, but because I do long runs of encoding of movies and am using the 2400G to do the long hauls,... I use VidCoder app to do the encoding to 1920*1080 (16:9) MP4 h264 files and the 2400G is working at 99% CPU usage (Vidcoder needs 85% CPU to do its work)..and I think it is thrashing the APU and the 2600 would be a better device to use for encoding work...and a bit of gaming
    Cheers
    Last edited by kioti; 30-09-2019 at 05:06 PM.