Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Unhappy Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

Am not sure of the etiquette here, if this should be in Chat or PressF1? However, since it is a 'serious' and not frivolous question, I have posted here.

For a number of years, in responding to a comment by someone to one of my posts (or indeed someone else's), I have put the fuller name of the
    person making the original comment ......... ie Joe Bloggs, then I have highlighted the latter part, ie Bloggs and deleted. The "Joe" remained
    highlighted and as a result that person was quickly notified. That worked for years.

However, for a while now, and repeatedly, I put "Joe Bloggs", then delete Bloggs, the Joe remains highlighted, but as soon as I post, it reverts to
    plain 'Joe'. Then I try again, leaving the full name Joe Bloggs, which stays highlighted. However, the moment I post, the name Joe Bloggs reverts
    to standard formatting!

It seems that Facebook is going backwards, because this function worked fine for many years, now it consistently does not work.
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

Does this Not work ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Change_Name.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10001

Also notice "You can only change your name every 60 days."

If its not changing look to make sure you are clicking Save Changes (or similar wording)
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Does this Not work ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Change_Name.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10001

Also notice "You can only change your name every 60 days."

If its not changing look to make sure you are clicking Save Changes (or similar wording)
    Hi wainui, with respect, you have mis-read my post, it is not my name I am talking about, but the
    name of the person who I am responding to. Cannot understand how you would read my post as
    referring to my (Facebook) name??
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Hi wainui, with respect, you have mis-read my post, it is not my name I am talking about, but the
    name of the person who I am responding to. Cannot understand how you would read my post as
    referring to my (Facebook) name??
    Maybe its because I was tired from working most of the weekend and all day, some of us actually do work.

After re-reading I know what you are referring to, and sometimes you can shorten the name others you cant.

Edited: just tried it on a FB page i'm in, the persons name shortened perfectly fine.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-09-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks for trying, wainui. It seems from what you say, to be hit and miss. Over the past few weeks it has been miss,miss, miss. However, will keep trying each time.
    My commiserations with you having so much time spent working. I tend to forget this as have been retired now for ten years (or will be by 1 Oct).
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Thanks for trying, wainui. It seems from what you say, to be hit and miss. Over the past few weeks it has been miss,miss, miss. However, will keep trying each time.
    My commiserations with you having so much time spent working. I tend to forget this as have been retired now for ten years (or will be by 1 Oct).
    Yeah, I shouldn't be working all these hours sometimes, mind you some of it wasn't computer related it was other work. I'm getting to old for that sort of non stop rubbish, lets say I'm closer to retiring than starting.

Anyhows -- Found an article that explains it all ( name shortening) including some reasons why they wont work.

Have a read, but the part of interest may be (scroll down the page) "How to tag someone on Facebook when their name doesn’t come up" There's several reasons as to why things don't work - OR take your pick / Combo of why.

how-to-tag-first-names-on-facebook

Could just be Facebook being Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yeah, I shouldn't be working all these hours sometimes,D

I am finding tech work way more fun these days.
    Got one the other day, Windows playing up after a fresh install.

Nope. HDD stuffed, lol..............

before that it was relife an elderly laptop.

Much nicer than the running around like a headless chicken running a business.

Sorry, Wainui...not gloating, just saying, I really am having fun with it.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I am finding tech work way more fun these days.

Much nicer than the running around like a headless chicken running a business.

Sorry, Wainui...not gloating, just saying, I really am having fun with it.
    Actual Business work isn't the problem, that's easy. Its all the other things trying to do at the same time.
    Had to help some family move into their new house, (and try to sort out where all the cables / plugs are for all the devices), you wouldn't think you would end up with so many extras try to do things around here, finish off a couple of Computer jobs, and try to get some more work done on the renovations .