Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Photographic enthusiast Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)
    Posts
    2,397

    Unhappy Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Am not sure of the etiquette here, if this should be in Chat or PressF1? However, since it is a 'serious' and not frivolous question, I have posted here.

    For a number of years, in responding to a comment by someone to one of my posts (or indeed someone else's), I have put the fuller name of the
    person making the original comment ......... ie Joe Bloggs, then I have highlighted the latter part, ie Bloggs and deleted. The "Joe" remained
    highlighted and as a result that person was quickly notified. That worked for years.

    However, for a while now, and repeatedly, I put "Joe Bloggs", then delete Bloggs, the Joe remains highlighted, but as soon as I post, it reverts to
    plain 'Joe'. Then I try again, leaving the full name Joe Bloggs, which stays highlighted. However, the moment I post, the name Joe Bloggs reverts
    to standard formatting!

    It seems that Facebook is going backwards, because this function worked fine for many years, now it consistently does not work.
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

  2. #2
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    26,927

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Does this Not work ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Change_Name.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10001

    Also notice "You can only change your name every 60 days."

    If its not changing look to make sure you are clicking Save Changes (or similar wording)
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  3. #3
    Photographic enthusiast Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Does this Not work ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Change_Name.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10001

    Also notice "You can only change your name every 60 days."

    If its not changing look to make sure you are clicking Save Changes (or similar wording)
    Hi wainui, with respect, you have mis-read my post, it is not my name I am talking about, but the
    name of the person who I am responding to. Cannot understand how you would read my post as
    referring to my (Facebook) name??
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

  4. #4
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    26,927

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Hi wainui, with respect, you have mis-read my post, it is not my name I am talking about, but the
    name of the person who I am responding to. Cannot understand how you would read my post as
    referring to my (Facebook) name??
    Maybe its because I was tired from working most of the weekend and all day, some of us actually do work.

    After re-reading I know what you are referring to, and sometimes you can shorten the name others you cant.

    Edited: just tried it on a FB page i'm in, the persons name shortened perfectly fine.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-09-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  5. #5
    Photographic enthusiast Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Thanks for trying, wainui. It seems from what you say, to be hit and miss. Over the past few weeks it has been miss,miss, miss. However, will keep trying each time.
    My commiserations with you having so much time spent working. I tend to forget this as have been retired now for ten years (or will be by 1 Oct).
    Affinity Photo 1.7.3 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

  6. #6
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    26,927

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Thanks for trying, wainui. It seems from what you say, to be hit and miss. Over the past few weeks it has been miss,miss, miss. However, will keep trying each time.
    My commiserations with you having so much time spent working. I tend to forget this as have been retired now for ten years (or will be by 1 Oct).
    Yeah, I shouldn't be working all these hours sometimes, mind you some of it wasn't computer related it was other work. I'm getting to old for that sort of non stop rubbish, lets say I'm closer to retiring than starting.

    Anyhows -- Found an article that explains it all ( name shortening) including some reasons why they wont work.

    Have a read, but the part of interest may be (scroll down the page) "How to tag someone on Facebook when their name doesn’t come up" There's several reasons as to why things don't work - OR take your pick / Combo of why.

    how-to-tag-first-names-on-facebook

    Could just be Facebook being Facebook
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

  7. #7
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    1,658

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yeah, I shouldn't be working all these hours sometimes,D

    I am finding tech work way more fun these days.
    Got one the other day, Windows playing up after a fresh install.

    Nope. HDD stuffed, lol..............

    before that it was relife an elderly laptop.

    Much nicer than the running around like a headless chicken running a business.

    Sorry, Wainui...not gloating, just saying, I really am having fun with it.
    Ex-pctek

  8. #8
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    26,927

    Default Re: Query re Facebook - entering a specific person's name .. and it remaining there

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I am finding tech work way more fun these days.

    Much nicer than the running around like a headless chicken running a business.

    Sorry, Wainui...not gloating, just saying, I really am having fun with it.
    Actual Business work isn't the problem, that's easy. Its all the other things trying to do at the same time.
    Had to help some family move into their new house, (and try to sort out where all the cables / plugs are for all the devices), you wouldn't think you would end up with so many extras try to do things around here, finish off a couple of Computer jobs, and try to get some more work done on the renovations .
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook - privacy query
    By Scouse in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. SLOW ENTERING HIBERNATION
    By kbappl in forum PressF1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-11-2005, 01:55 PM
  3. hangs while entering standby.
    By jontext88 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 12:05 AM
  4. remaining win98/linux selection menu
    By jammy in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. The $6 tip [remaining text not inserted]
    By E.ric in forum PressF1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •