Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pcsourcepoint

Default Re: Google Maps question

Strange again... Places buttons appear in my map when I add a address for choose a destination, and further buttons appear for subsequent add destinations - including work and home auto suggesting. But I noticed that my home and work address are "labelled" privately, which display as sub category in the "your places" section in the map settings.

According to Google having a private label aids in searching, suggestions, etc. Check if home/work are labelled. If not you can reassign addresses and label them as described here. Also need to have activity controls turned on (which I think you do), in addition to location history. Seems more Google subtle features need be active to yield better searching and mapping...

Also I just realized any such journeys can be saved as custom maps in "Your Places" section. I have just pulled many I did in the past, either at home on PC or using apps (using KML files) on smartphone whilst driving and saving/importing to Google Maps.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 18-09-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I think I have fixed it. I saved my "home"and "work" locations as "starred places", and now they are showing up as suggestions when I add a destination. I also tried adding a label to somewhere else as you pointed me to, and that worked too.
    I don't think I'm being particularly thick, but that all seems totally counter-intuitive and indirect.

Anyway, we got there in the end - thanks for your help.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

pcsourcepoint

Glad it's fixed, one can be forgiven if Maps works unexpectedly, because I think Maps has become a big beast of things.This is evident in that Google Maps are also split into other sub apps, and it has an API - which I use to mess around with to make Maps Mashups Also Google's other mapping system - Waze Maps. To get the most effective route/map setup you have to drill down at a granular level, which is cumbersome, convoluted, and at times confusing.

Note to add even more to places - for locations that have no known numerical address - have you tried their little known plus codes pin placements. You can assign a position code for any spot that has no address, e.g. in a reserve, vacant sections, paddocks, unnamed roads, beaches, harbors, etc. See here to do that...But it mainly works in the App. But crosses over and displays in the desktop version in your places section.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 19-09-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)