Default Samsung Galaxy J5 - low on storage.

My old J5 is low on storage. I have a 2GB of SD card installed but somehow applications /updates are unable to make use of the additional 2GGB SD card.
    I could only copy some photos to it.

Question: How do I configure the phone to use the SD card ?

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy J5 - low on storage.

These are the steps to move Spotify's data to SD Card.

1. Navigate to Settings on your phone. You can find the settings menu in the app drawer.

2. Tap Apps.

3. Select Spotify.

4. Tap Storage.

5. Tap Change if it’s there. If you don’t see the Change option, the app cannot be moved. If you are unable to find any apps with this option, it is likely that your device does not support the feature.

6. Tap Move.

If your device does not support moving apps to a microSD card there’s another option, first introduced in Android Marshmallow, that may be the answer for you. This feature is called Adoptable or Flex Storage, and it allows you to format a microSD card to act like added internal storage. Again, not all devices with a microSD slot will support this feature: Motorola, HTC, Huawei and NVIDIA have all chosen to enable Flex Storage, while Samsung and LG have to date removed it.

There are a few factors to consider before enabling this feature. You will want the fastest microSD card that you can find to ensure smooth performance, at least Class 10 or UHS-I and preferably UHS-3. Any data present on the microSD card will be erased when you format it as internal storage, and from that point, it will be unusable in other devices (unless you reformat it again). Finally, remember that if you remove this microSD card from your phone, you will break functionality to any apps or content you’ve moved to it.

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads...age-j5.136388/
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    My old J5 is low on storage. I have a 2GB of SD card installed but somehow applications /updates are unable to make use of the additional 2GGB SD card.
    I could only copy some photos to it.

Question: How do I configure the phone to use the SD card ?
    You want a card way bigger that 2Gig. Go for something at least 32 Gig or larger.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Got a 32GB SD card but the phone only allowed me to format it as external storage, no Internal storage option.

Compatibility issue?

Did you try those steps off that site?
    Ex-pctek

Yes. I did

Maybe, it's time to get a newer phone!

Got a 32GB SD card but the phone only allowed me to format it as external storage, no Internal storage option.
    Because thats what it is. Some phones you can use SD as internal storage (adoptable storage) , not that Samsung it seems .
    https://www.xda-developers.com/enabl...7-and-s7-edge/

You should be able to use the SD card as default storage for photos
    Some apps wont be able to use the SD as storage.

Some phones are just crap with SDCard Support. Ive seen a Voda Brand Cellphone that you couldnt even use the SD Card as default for photos

pcsourcepoint

Yes. I did

Maybe, it's time to get a newer phone!
    Yeah what I did, after reading a similar thread to this one, of what was suggested from some of our members. So upgraded to Samsung J6 Plus at 350 dollars.. Note that the Samsung "A" series is now current, slightly higher spec'd than the the J series. But Samsung are relatively quick to upgrade their mid spec phones continuously it seems. So should research (or ask the provider - e.g. Spark) what's out now and what is due to come out...To avoid being feeling a bit missed out if you simply purchase what you see..

J6 Plus has ample storage of 32 GB for general apps. Also can easily optimize storage - I think on auto mode, or through the useful device care settings. I had enough of lower spec phones, stuffing about with apps to SD card transfer, cache cleaning, internal storage mode to external mode, etc, which I think is becoming increasingly limited with SD cards...Which I have in my phone (32 GB), but sitting doing nothing much, since not really required for my needs.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 09-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)