Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Speed

Default Internet Speed

My Internet server provides me 400 mbp speed, known to be pretty fast. I notice that after streaming through my router, Wi-Fi seems to cut down the speed. Is this the usual case? If I attach a Wi-Fi boaster, will I get back faster speed? Appreciate advice before I purchase the Wi-Fi boaster. Thank you: CHIN3927

Default Re: Internet Speed

A speed test over wifi is never recommended. Many routers will limit the wifi speed. And dependent on so many factors. The only way to properly speed test is with a wired device.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

yes and no. How long is a peice of string. What color is up ?
    too little info to give a meaningful answer

But, as above, the first test to do is via a wired in device.
    wifi speed can degrade if there are too many walls to get through , too much rf noise/interference, too many wifi devices , old devices connecting etc etc etc

a 'booster' usually doesnt help much. Often they dont help at all and some actually cut wifi speed .
    Just what speed are you getting through the wifi ?

VoidMaster

WiFi will always be half the speed of the Ethernet connection, no way out of that, it is a duplex connection OR less if the WiFi is low signal strength or in a noisy environment ie wireless telephones, microwave oven for instance.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 06-09-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

"My Internet server provides me 400 mbp speed"
    My car's speedo goes all the way to 200kph, I cant get that speed . :-)
    Thats the CONNECT SPEED . You'll get losses all the way though , every step of the way, from the website to the device used to access that site .

You can get fast wifi .
    But its a theoretic speed , not a real world wifi speed, and the connecting devices (tv, phones laptop etc) would have to have matching hardware for that fast theoretical speed , and they dont/wont .

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    WiFi will always be half the speed of the Ethernet connection, no way out of that, it is a duplex connection OR less if the WiFi is low signal strength or in a noisy environment ie wireless telephones, microwave oven for instance.
    My WiFi speed is pretty much exactly the same as my hardwired Ethernet speed! I do not see where you get the 50% speed reduction from.

VoidMaster

Well I have always known but I know not from where that because of error checking in between data sending wifi is half the speed of ethernet, the data is not sent whilst the error checking goes back the other way, with ethernet there are forward and reverse channels on different wires on the ethernet connection.

Also whenever I have been using wifi on a big download I often get tired of waiting and plug in an ethernet connection half way through the download and it drops the wifi and the ethernet connect takes over and the speed is much faster.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Well I have always known but I know not from where that because of error checking in between data sending wifi is half the speed of ethernet, the data is not sent whilst the error checking goes back the other way, with ethernet there are forward and reverse channels on different wires on the ethernet connection.

Also whenever I have been using wifi on a big download I often get tired of waiting and plug in an ethernet connection half way through the download and it drops the wifi and the ethernet connect takes over and the speed is much faster.
    It depends on your WiFi setup. If I get out to the limits of mine the speed also drops to around 50% on the 2.4Ghz band but with a connection via 5Ghz it remains at the top speed I pay for. I would still recommend an Ethernet connection over WiFi if it is available however WiFi definitely does not automatically cut speed to 50% for everyone.

VoidMaster

I agree the higher frequency of the 5Ghz band will make the wifi faster (it will double it in fact compared to 2.4Ghz) but it is very short range, our 5ghz won't work reliably to the bedroom which is one wall away down a short hallway of about 7 feet, always reverts back to 2.4Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    My WiFi speed is pretty much exactly the same as my hardwired Ethernet speed! I do not see where you get the 50% speed reduction from.
    wifi is 1/2 duplex

My Toyota Coralla is just as fast as my Ferrari , driving to work
    (I dont really have a Toyota)

At home, my wifi is just as fast as my wired connection
    Thats because my flaky home ADSL broadband speed is so slow , wifi can easily cope .
    If you get the fastest Fibre home connection available , then compare wifi to ethernet cable speed . Then you'll see wifi loosing some speed , especially if more than 1 wifi device & across the other side of the house.
    Last edited by 1101; 09-09-2019 at 10:09 AM.