Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alternative to Flickr

In days of yore when Spark played with Yahoo! I used Flickr as a convenient way to present a limited portfolio of photos on a site that friends in other countries could access to see what a beautiful country I live in. Since the divorce of the above-mentioned companies, I have searched unsuccessfully for a similar free repository. While the photos on Flickr are still available, I can't add to them under the old access provisions.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a Flickr-like site that I could use for this purpose that is simple enough for an old codger like me and my even older off-shore friends to use?

I have both aversion and phobia about the book of face so I won't use that.
    Last edited by Blue Druid; 03-09-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: addional info

Default Re: Alternative to Flickr

I use google photo's real easy to use and since I have a gmail email address its all linked

Dropbox?
    Ex-pctek

Be aware that anything you upload is no longer private. Especially when you share it .
    In some cases you will no longer own that photo .

You can set Google pictures to not share with Google images

" A product like Google Photos, falls under Google Terms of Service. That means that when you upload your photos you are giving the tech giant license to “host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute” those photos. "

Most people dont care what sites do with your photos.
    But they are no longer your photos after you upload them .
    Photos may be analyzed so targeted ads get sent your way
    If there's any txt in them, that'll be scanned .
    Your photos could be used for other things .

Plenty of companies have been caught giving 3rd parties access to your stuff . Then all the excuses get rolled out .

Its not going to matter for most, just be aware of it and think twice about what you upload .

Thank you for the suggestions and warnings

I am aware of Google's Terms of Service and avoid using them for anything unless I can't avoid it.

I will give Dropbox a try (Thanks Piroska) and if it works out for my needs, I'll be the happiest ol' dodger in town — for five minutes anyway!

I'd Imagine most cloud services will be just as nosy with your data.

Dropbox , just as bad. :-)
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/dropbo...-data-sharing/

also look at past history to see if companies are 100% above board
    "Some people still avoid Dropbox due to a 2012 breach that saw some 68 million user passwords stolen following the theft of an employee password. Dropbox has since revamped its password hashing algorithms and supposedly tightened internal security, but the fact that the company didn’t fully report the problem until years later doesn’t engender much trust "

Thanks 1101. I suspect you're right that anyone who offers a repository of other peoples' work will undoubtedly try to find ways to capitalise on it. And yes, I guess any and every company is susceptible to loss or misuse of data. Some are more careless than others.

The saving grace for me is that nothing that I put on their service will have the slightest sensitivity and it probably wouldn't matter if it all got lost or stolen. I have my 3 backups stored locally on my own machine and USB drives so there is nothing that can't be replaced unless it just happens to be the end of the world in which case it probably won't be considered too important anyway.

My main motive was to be able to make a collection of photos available to others to view without having to send a bunch of high-res photos to individuals by email. Just give 'em the URL and let 'em browse and when they become redundant, I can just delete them.

I know of photographers who put whole weddings or ball photos to the cloud and solicit orders therefrom. I've never been that sort of photographer — too old fashioned and I no longer do it for hire or reward anyway. I would hate to think that the only copy of my wedding photos were on some server in Mumbai or (even worse) California.

Update: Dropbox didn't really answer my need. But, Flickr, after contacting them, made some adjustments that allowed me to access my old account and bring it back into service.

Despite the risks and chances of anything uploaded to the cloud, my needs are satisfied and I'm back to my usual insane grin.

Thanks folks. Your suggestions inspired me to dig deeper.