Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: W10 on M.2 NVMe not opening

wainuitech
    I have to admit an error in my post in reply to you first one. I said "hi. I assure you that when I tried to wipe the M.2 SSD there was only that attached to computer." That is incorrect. I also had the 160GB Sata HDD with W10 installed and the apps I tried to use to wipe the M.2 SSD or convert it from GPT to MBR.
    Now, I am away to bed and sleep. Has been a long day.
    cheers and ciao 4 now.

Older by the minute

Have you got the Samsung Partition Magician? If so look here to securely wipe the SSD....…. https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...umer/magician/ However if you can't access the SSD that may not work.

I have looked at DBAN but that wont work on SSDs. However, surely there is some other program that you can use on a CD or USB stick that will allow you to wipe the SSD and start again!

Older by the minute

Another comprehensive read. https://www.wepc.com/how-to/securely...-an-ssd-drive/

Good luck.

I wouldnt do a secure wipe unless you are going to sell it .

Just use diskpart and the 'clean' command instead .

Bryan
    hi. I did have Samsung Partition Magic when I first set up the rig I have. I forget why I got it but it was mentioned to have it to set up the Samsung 860Evo SSD. I don't have it , The Samsung Partition Magic now but I do have it stored in external HDD, so I could unearth it and install it to use. But, the disk I have the prob with is the Corsair Force MP300 NVMe SSD and I don't thing the Samsung Partition Magic will be usable on the NVMe SSD. I could wipe the Evo 860 SSD using Easeus Partition Master I have, or maybe simply format it using Tools , having W10 open in the 160GB HDD.
    thanks.

Bryan
    thanks for the link. Good info.
    cheers

hi. I was going to put the M.2 NVMe aside for a while, something I can install to tinker with to try to get it to boot. I could try the diskpart 'clean' command to wipe the drive.
    One thing I noticed in the pics I posted of the Installed drives, is the M.2 SSD doesn't have a partition at the end of the volumes/partitions. It should show at the right handed side of the E drive ( as detailed in the link I supplied re: GPT vs MBR https://www.techdim.com/mbr-vs-gpt-o...-new-ssd-hdd/A)
    "MBR VS GPT in Security
    When it is a security issue, then we can see a fundamental difference between Master Boot Record and GUID Partition Table. If you observed the disk layout of MBR and GUID Partition Table, you would find there lies a primary GPT header at the starting of the hard disk drive and a backup GPT header at the end of the hard disk. It also contains a CRC32 checksum for itself. With this checksum, the firmware, operating system or bootloader on boot can verify whether there is something wrong or error in the selected partition table. If it detects errors on primary GPT, it recovers the whole GUID Partition Table from the backup GUID partition header itself, and this is the outstanding security level advantage of GUID Partition Table whereas Master Boot Record does not provide this feature. MBR disk is entirely unusable if Operating System finds any error or corrupted area in MBR partition table. So, it is sure that that GUID Partition Table has higher security than Master Boot Record disk."
    So, I could go give the Diskpart a spin using the 'clean' command to see if it wipes the M.2. If it does well its no loss because I can't get it to boot, and all attempts to change its partition table to MBR have failed, and as I am expecting a new M.2 NVMe SSD in the post tomorrow and am going to start from scratch install W10 x64 v1903 anyway, its worth a try. Thinking 'bonus' if it does wipe out all that is on the NVMe SSD well I can install fresh W10 to it and have a spare at hand for when Sod's law arises, again.
    cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISK MANAGEMENT.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	9927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISKPART CLEAN.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	9928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E DRIVE GONE FROM EXPLORER.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	9929  
    Last edited by kioti; 03-09-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Diskpart used to clean the M.2 SSD. I reboot and have a looksee in BIOS, then shutdown, remove the HDD with W10 on it I use now and try to install W10 to the now empty M.2 SSD
    hmmmmmmmm

Name:	DISKPART AFTER CLEAN.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	9930  
    Last edited by kioti; 03-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.

oki doki….. I tried installing W10x64 v1903 to the claimed to be empty space on the Corsair Force MP300 M.2 NVMe SSD and it is a no go. The M.2 still has Everything on it that is meant to be gone.
    I throw in the towel on that mother. It has me beat. Enough wasted hours/days. I try on the new M.2 NVMe I am getting in post tomorrow.
    I could let my OCD drive me to try wiping the M.2 using Easeus Partition Master or any other Disk Management software I have access to, but having tried them all at least twice yesterday then Einstein's definition of Madness could be applied to me 101%
    “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”..... attributed to Einstein but is questionable as many such sayings have been claimed as "Einstein' quotes.
    cheers and have a nice day y'all

Name:	X.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	9931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	9932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	9933  

I'd say there's one program you haven't tried that's Disk Genius https://www.diskgenius.com/editions.php it also Supports GUID Partition Table (GPT disk) Scroll down the page to see all the options and what does what.

Had a Similar problem with a USB drive and one other SSD several months back, no other partition software would work. Came across Disk Genius by chance, installed it, and bingo worked wonders, easily removed the " locked" partitions and formatting. Cant remember what function I was wanting but it required the pro Version, so purchased it.

The programs is a little more complicated than the other partition software and a mountain of options /features, but works much better in some cases as well.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.