Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Default W10 on M.2 NVMe not opening

Hi. About 5am my computer went BSOD, collection details, Stop code was System service exemption. It rebooted, kept rejecting my password to sign in, said its wrong. Rebooted, Tried using W10 Instal DVD to use Repair function, wouldn't allow System Restore, said to reboot and pick an Op System to restore. Wouldn't boot into GParted live CD.....
    Rebooted into BIOS (UEFI), checked the boot order, noticed that the Corsair MP300 NVME was not showing in the list of Sata/Drives... M.2...N/A is what was shown. Yet I could see the MP300 drive listed in the Boot order.... as well as an entry for Window Boot Manager MP300. Tried altering Boot order to use both options and got nothing, no boot into the MP300 W10 op system.
    Added in a 180GB Sata HDD with W10x64 v1903 on it. Got that to open into Sign in widow...told Pword is wrong, after 3 attempts I reset pword and got a usable desktop.
    In the early stages I thought the CMOS Battery had died or gone low power, so replaced it with new one. Didn't get the problem solved with the M.2 NVME opening to W10.
    Stinker this one is. I tried doing chkdsk E:\ and was shown that the E:\ is not valid or recognised. Tried a few with /scan.../f/r.... all online ...might try this " /offlinescanandfix" Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.... IF the E Drive can be seen in elevated CMD
    Bit that has me wondering are the facts that the M.2 NVM2 MP300 SSD is listed as N/A in Bios, yet is visible in the Set boot order options and is visible and can open it to view and access the data stored on it...but it is not bootable. A PITA really. Fortunately I have use of this W10 on another HDD that I can use to put my thread here.
    Thanks in advance
    Garry

a few pics added...sorry I can't add one of the settings in BIOS....maybe I can get one with my mobile camera and add it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_CHECK E DRIVE.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	9903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_CHECK IMMEDIATEMY STATES E DRIVE IS OK.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	9904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3_EVENT VIEWER _APPLICATION DETAILS.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	9905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_UNKNOWN CORRUPTION ON VOLUME (QUESTION MARK).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	9906  

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: W10 on M.2 NVMe not opening

Looks like there could be some corruption on the drive. Have you tried removing the M.2 and then re-seating it or if there is another M.2 slot on your motherboard install it there and see what happens.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro 100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Water-Cooled eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ---> NZXT G12 (Corsair H55)
    Corsair Crystal 460X & TX650M PSU

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    Looks like there could be some corruption on the drive. Have you tried removing the M.2 and then re-seating it or if there is another M.2 slot on your motherboard install it there and see what happens.
    chiefnz.
    hi. Nope I not tried to remove the M.2 and reseat it. I will do that very shortly. Unfortunately there is not another M.2 slot available.
    I have just taken pics of the BIOS using my mobile phn. They not 100% clear but best I can get. I will shut down computer and try the reseat of the M.2 NVMe

Asus Prime B450M-A, AND Ryzen 5_2400G, Gkill 16GB FlareX DDR4, Corsair Force MP300 SSD

cheers...I will do the reseat of M.2 now and be back shortly.

Name:	BOOT AND DRIVE INFO.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	9907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOOT MENU.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	9908  

Well, I removed and reseated the M.2 and it is still showing as N/A in BIOS, same as pic on left above. Will have to apply some thought to this one because as I said, it shows in This PC and I can access it. It is just not available to boot into. Hmmmm.
    I was gutted when the computer froze at about 5am this morning. I had set a movie to encode to MP4 with added subtitles and it had 8 minutes of the 2 hours encode remaining. I had been watching a movie for almost the 2 hours of the encode time. The movie finished and I went to close VLC and that was when everything had frozen, and after I attempted to close VLC and Opera Browser was when the BSOD appeared. VidCoder uses 85% of CPU and when its running with other background apps CPU usage is at 99%, but I can watch a movie or play computer game or browse net when CPU is at 99%. So, something has gone awry.
    There was something in the BIOS that I could access re the M.2 and it was to do with "renaming' the M.2 NVMe….. I left that alone.

Decided to use my minimal knowledge of CMD Prompts to have a look at the installed SSD and Sata HDD. I have gotten as far as is shown in the pic attached. there is a 'Hidden' volume of 100MB on the MP300 SSD. Could that be the 'Boot sector'...note also that the SSD is a Gpt format. I had to make the SSD a Gpt format when I installed W10 x64 v1903. I installed that v1903 after I had updated to the latest BIOS in a hope that I could get the GSkill to run at the 2933 MHz it is rated at but anything I tried above 2400MHz was unstable and BSOD'd. So I left the RAM at 2400MHz. That was 3 months ago so there have been no recent changes. Prior to the BIOS Update W10 was installed on non Gpt partition, but as said, when I went to install W10 v 1903 to the MP300 SSD, Windows instal informed me that it could only be installed to a Gpt formatted drive, so I gave it the go ahead to Create the Gpt drive.
    I didn't want to go 'Deleting' Volume 4 as suggested in this link. I think I have done it before and recreated a Partition and rebuilt the MBR (or whatever it is that W10 uses as a Boot sector) using bootrec and a couple other commands I cannot recall name of at this moment
    https://www.disk-partition.com/windo...s-10-1203.html

Name:	DISK PART.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	9909  
    Last edited by kioti; 01-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Have you tried booting the system with just the M.2 in the motherboard?

I see from your motherboard's manual that SATA ports 5 and 6 are disabled when using the M.2 slot but since you're unit is NVMe this likely doesn't apply but probably worth a shot all the same.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 4.7GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro 100x
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Water-Cooled eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ---> NZXT G12 (Corsair H55)
    Corsair Crystal 460X & TX650M PSU

chiefnz
    hi. Yes I have tried with only the M.2 connected to Motherboard. oh, M.2 and Sata Optic drive connected.. First boot device is "Windows Boot Manager Force MP300". Power on the computer and get notification on screen reads "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected and press a key"
    I have changed the BIOS setting to first boot from the Corsair Force MP300 option, but no matter what I do, when I push F10 key to save changes, I get notice saying that I "have not made any changes" and I click the 'continue' tab...that is probably why I cannot get it to first boot from Optic Drive so I can use the Recovery Disks.
    So now all I have connected to computer is the M.2, the Sata Optic Drive and the 160GB Seagate Sata 2 HDD with W10x64 v1903 installed. I don't have to set the Sata HDD to be first boot, it is found automatically.
    I am of the mind that the Boot sector of the OS on the M.2 has been corrupted. I have searched for info to rebuild the boot sector and not succeeded to find anything. So, what I am thinking I will do today is, use Aomei Backerupper to copy/save the M.2's contents to an external Drive, then reinstall W10 v 1903 and see if I have a bootable OS on the M.2. If I do not then I can only assume that the M.2 is faulty, or the Motherboard M.2 connector, or the Computer BIOS (UEFI) is faulty. Unfortunately I did not make a recent backup of the M.2, but I do have one that I made 6 weeks ago. That will be a good place to start , or, I could quite simply Fresh install W10, 1903.
    If it is the M.2 I buy a new one later today. I had been considering buying a 500GB M.2 as the 240GB I have is getting a bit low on space. Next steps will be after I have done the Backup of M.2 SSD and reinstalled W10 to it either as Fresh install or the backup I have from earlier time. Process of elimination.
    Hope I can get computer to boot from Optic drive to enable Fresh Install of W10 OS .hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by kioti; 02-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.

well, Aomei backup of M.2 failed. Have error code...looked it up in Aomei FAQ's. Restarted comp and will give the backup another spin and try the 'fixes' mentioned for the Error Code 4140.
    Pics attached of Aomei process to the failed time, and of Disk Management. No matter what Partition Manager I use to look at the connected Hardware, none show any error for the M.2 drive and its Volumes. Yet it won't boot into PS. hmmmm… plod on.

https://www.backup-utility.com/help/...al-faq.html?ab

https://www.aomeitech.com/kb/backupp...code-4140.html

ps: furthermore, the aomei backup I have of the M.2 was made when the M.2 was NOT made into a Gpt for me to install the new v1903 of W10 x64. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm……..

Name:	DISK MANAGEMENT.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	9911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AOMEI FAILED BACKUP.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	9912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AOMEI FAQS PAGE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	9913  
    Last edited by kioti; 02-09-2019 at 09:51 AM.

After reboot Aomei backerupper made a disk backup of the M.2 SSD. I tried install fresh W10 v1903 to the M.2 and was informed that I cant because the M.2 is Gpt. I am about ready to wipe the M.2 and try install again. I am downloading W10 x64 v1903 again.

Name:	AOMEI PARTITION ASSISTANT.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	9914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EASEUS PARTITION MASTER.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	9915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISK MANAGEMENT.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	9916  

Ok..... the time has come. Have new W10 x 64 v1903 burned to DVD, going to format the M.2 to unallocated space and try installing from scratch.
    Ciao 4 now.