Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Petrol stations & needing airpoints or similar card to get discounts

From what I've heard over the years if you ask 100 people if it's cheaper to live in Aussie, 50 will say yes and 50 will say no.

pcsourcepoint

Default Re: Petrol stations & needing airpoints or similar card to get discounts

Been using the Mobil Card last 3 months, after using that Station for over 20 years. I'm loyal - meaning buying petrol 4 times a week but no discounts. It's all volume or purchase amount based. Their biased formulaic email newsletter say so. Come spend up get richly rewarded. So a rich/group of people or fleet/scaled up service member could drop in a few times and buy 100's of dollars...and get well rewarded. Then off to another station - Loyal - I think not...
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 01-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I traded in my corolla on a used nissan leaf so I no longer need to visit a petrol station. When I did though I could never be bothered with fuel discounts especially if it involves making a special trip to get the saving which negates some or all of it anyway.
    I understand if say you just did your grocery shopping and need petrol and there's a pump at the supermarket. Makes sense to use the discount then. But any other time I used to just wait until I was near a Gull or waitomo and fill up.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I traded in my corolla on a used nissan leaf
    I understand if say you just did your grocery shopping and need petrol and there's a pump at the supermarket. Makes sense to use the discount then. .

Here the supermarket is $2.04
    You get 6c off.
    Gull is $1.98.

So...er....

Rarely you get a 30c, 30c off.
    That was worth it.

Evs, meh. They go bugger all distance and are for the rich.
    never mind new, even second hand cost a fortune, and then of course there is the replacement battery issue. More expensive than nearly ever car I have bought, just for batteries.

And it feels righteous, but really it isn't going to do jack for the environment.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Evs, meh. They go bugger all distance and are for the rich.
    never mind new, even second hand cost a fortune, and then of course there is the replacement battery issue. More expensive than nearly ever car I have bought, just for batteries.

And it feels righteous, but really it isn't going to do jack for the environment.
    Clearly you won't be buying one
    But I love mine. Fun to drive, cheap to run, and for a 2013 with 30k on the clock it cost $16k which isn't cheap but it's comparable to similar aged petrol cars like a corolla say. I'd hardly describe myself as rich.
    Yeah range can be an issue and they certainly won't suit everyone. Honestly I am likely to only own it a year or two and upgrade or buy a second car due to the range issues, but for my daily use driving around town and to work and back it's perfect.
    Costs approx $5 per 100km in electricity or about twice that if you use a paid fast charger. When road user chargers kick in it'll be interesting to see what it costs compared to a small petrol car but for now there's no comparison.

The other issues remain to be seen. Won't debate the environmental impact as that has nothing to do with why I bought one, I just like them. The battery is a valid worry but evidence so far is they last pretty well. Mine has 81% of it's original capacity at 6 years old.

My biggest bit of advice regarding a leaf is don't buy it as an only car without doing your research first, but if you are a two car family and one of your cars only needs to run around town it's well worth considering.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I'm pleased to say we have an NPD station in town thats on my way to work. I always go there now usually 6 to 10 cents cheaper than anything in town and no stuffing around with a discount card.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Clearly you won't be buying one
    But I love mine. Fun to drive, cheap to run, and for a 2013 with 30k on the clock it cost $16k which isn't cheap but it's comparable to similar aged petrol cars like a corolla say. I'd hardly describe myself as rich.
    Yeah range can be an issue and they certainly won't suit everyone. Honestly I am likely to only own it a year or two and upgrade or buy a second car due to the range issues, but for my daily use driving around town and to work and back it's perfect.
    Costs approx $5 per 100km in electricity or about twice that if you use a paid fast charger. When road user chargers kick in it'll be interesting to see what it costs compared to a small petrol car but for now there's no comparison.

The other issues remain to be seen. Won't debate the environmental impact as that has nothing to do with why I bought one, I just like them. The battery is a valid worry but evidence so far is they last pretty well. Mine has 81% of it's original capacity at 6 years old.

My biggest bit of advice regarding a leaf is don't buy it as an only car without doing your research first, but if you are a two car family and one of your cars only needs to run around town it's well worth considering.
    Certainly considering something like a leaf to replace wifes aging Suzuki Baleno when it does, but so far at 250000k and a 2003 vintage its going as well as it ever has. I can't run an EV as I lug around a whole heap of building tools as well as often towing big loads for work and home.

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by Clod View Post
    I'm pleased to say we have an NPD station in town thats on my way to work. I always go there now usually 6 to 10 cents cheaper than anything in town and no stuffing around with a discount card.
    Yeah stuffing about with a batch of discount cards, should we be beholden to them? To benefit from them one would have to work and plan to it almost meticulously I think. Suits those who can and plan. The most worry with with cards, for many would be credit cards. Since they rack up debt easily, and confers debt management to many people. Why don't Visa (and the related banks) come in with some petrol discount scheme to cover all stations..
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I dont want a 10% ethanol mix that some of the petrol stations use . So I avoid places like Gull.
    Not in my old car thank you.

Why not just give us the discount instead of playing games with all these different cards & schemes ?
    Do any do that, ie no card needed for the low price ? If so I'd start going there .

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    From what I've heard over the years if you ask 100 people if it's cheaper to live in Aussie, 50 will say yes and 50 will say no.
    Yes I remember doing a costing back in the 80's and there wasn't anything in it, but not now.

A bit off topic, but take a look at these photos. The first is in the complex in the background and if you turn 180 that's your view. Where, Hervey Bay one of the nicest places I've ever been.

Similar unit in Mt Maunganui you could stick at least $1m in front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	9934

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	9935
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.