Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Petrol stations & needing airpoints or similar card to get discounts

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Where are those figures coming from 1101?
    they are US and Aus prices.
    NZ Nissan may not have a big enough market and not enough moral pressure to match that pricing . Sounds like Nissan NZ just dont care & see it as another
    throw away item to be scrapped after batt life dies .
    Im sure Nissan NZ dont want to encourage used imports , so obviously wont sell you a batt .

Default Re: Petrol stations & needing airpoints or similar card to get discounts

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Yes, it's a joke. Batteries are not the answer.
    Short commutes are all very well but a lot don't do that. Certainly when we were down SOuth we didn't.

and even in AUckland, my son couldn't be said to do short commutes, stuck in traffic for ages on the motorways. Lets see it, dead battery cars cluttering the motorway all over, what to do, have charging stations all along like they used to have those phones?

And $15K is not cheap...not for low income people. Never mind the battery in one costing that....I used to by $3K cars, or less.
    I think time will prove you wrong. Batteries are the only practical option at present and just because the leaf isn't very practical or affordable to you doesn't mean that will always be the case. Hybrids are an option in the interim but any other solution still seems a long way off. Hydrogen for example uses many times the electricity that batteries do at a much lower overall efficiency. Any cleaner burning liquid fuel requires too much land to grow the source crops.

Meanwhile teslas which are certainly nowhere near affordable seem to be able to do many hundreds of thousands of kilometres on existing technology and are working towards more like a million https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-ma...million-miles/ .The point is not that any of us can or should afford a tesla, but rather that practical battery powered vehicles can and do exist and all we need now is for the costs to come down.

It may be another 10-20 years before old electric cars that are still useful can be had 2nd hand for $3k or the equivalent (allowing for inflation) so that people at that end of the market might start buying them. But for those that can afford new cars electric is set to start filtering down from the top.

As for your Auckland commute example, that's where the leaf is actually perfect. All that matters is distance travelled and speed. Sitting in traffic gives them more range not less. My normal commute in Hamilton is 10km and uses between 5-10% of my battery depending on a bunch of factors. Wednesday there was an accident and I was stuck going nowhere for an extra 20 minutes and the total trip cost me 3% of my battery. 2% better than ever before with twice the travel time. If an electric car isn't moving it isn't using power, and the slower it goes the more efficient it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting people rush out and buy Leafs, I'm not sure I should have. They certainly have a lot of issues and limitations. But I do believe the car industry is going electric one way or another for the next decade or two unless some major breakthough happens. The beauty is if say hydrogen becomes the option of choice you can just replace the battery with a fuel cell and a tank because you already have the rest
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Here's the story I referred to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zdtaJeYmw

And here's another view
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6gpx10QtM
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen