Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make 2 x 500GB Paritions on a 1TB external drive so a TV will see the 1TB Drive

Hi. Just a quick question because I was told by a salesperson in a Name Store that it can be done.
    I have a 1TB External USB HDD. The TV I want to connect it to will see a USB Drive of 500GB. Can I create 2 x 500GB Partitions on the 1TB HDD and be able to access either of them when the HDD is connected to the Tele?
    I can't do a test myself because the TV I have doesn't have a USB Port at all. Also, the person who owns the 1TB External USB HDD, which is loaded with Digital Media ,Movies/music files wants to connect and use the 1TB HDD to play the media in their tele.
    Pretty simple question really...can it be done?
    Thanks in advance
    yeah, I could get the 1TB Drive, transfer all data on it to one of my 4TB External HDD's, then create the 2 partitions of 500GB ( or 460GB as the case may be), transfer the data back to it from where I have it stored, Movies in one partition and music in the other partition and give it to him and see if the 2 partitions are seen and accessible... that takes an hour or so to do the tasks so I thought, first, I would ask here for a yay or nay
    Cheers
    Garry
    Last edited by kioti; 29-08-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Default Re: Make 2 x 500GB Paritions on a 1TB external drive so a TV will see the 1TB Drive

Of course it can be done, whether it will work on their tv who knows. Only way is to try it. I use mini tool partition wizard which is free.

Older by the minute

Default Re: Make 2 x 500GB Paritions on a 1TB external drive so a TV will see the 1TB Drive

Make sure that the TV will see the type of partition. Generally, I think, most TVs will only see exfat with the larger HDDs.

I have not noticed the seize of the partition makes any difference.
    What does, is the file format of the media you are trying to view.

My brother had this issue....all play fine on a PC (Of course), but many will not on the TV>
    he doesn't bother with drives anymore, he just Chromecasts the stuff..
    Ex-pctek

the correct answer is yes
    the correct answer is also no

Honestly, the ONLY way to know is to try it .
    Every TV is different , both in what size HD it will read, the partition size it will read , and the type of media file it can play.

Another way is to buy a dedicated media player box that has HDMI output & use that to play from USB HD .

gary67
    Hi and thank. I know that the division of the 1TB into 2 or more partitions can be done. This weekend I will see my friend and get info make model of his tele or get the info from its manual. Then I will transfer all data from the drive to one of my externals and use Easeus Partition Master Pro to create the 2 partitions. I will not create the partitions on the HDD while it contains the media files. In case something goes wrong.
    I could make NTFS partitions as that is what I usually use, or I could go for exFAT. I will decide on the file system to use when I know the Tele's specs. FAT32 is no use because some of the media files are larger than 2GB.
    Cheers
    Garry
    Last edited by kioti; 30-08-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Bryan.
    Hi and thanks. This weekend I will get the TV's capabilities and what fie systems / codecs it will address and then I will do the task.
    Cheers
    Garry

piroska
    Hi and thanks. I will be doing the task this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem really. I will transfer all data in the USB 1TB HDD to an external HDD of mine and the create the two partitions. Trial and error without chances of disaster happening minimalised/removed.
    Cheers
    Garry

Hi and thanks. I will be doing the task this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Thanks for your input.
    Garry

How many movies do you need to watch at once? I know it's convenient to have them in one place, but just get a 32 GB flash drive and put the movies you want to watch on it. They are so cheap why not? and you can easily swap formats without effecting your main drive full of movies.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070