Unhappy Win 10 SFC - corrupt system files?

Yesterday I was doing a rather large backup of data files when my desktop suffered a BSOD. The system restarted without further problem and I was able to complete the backup, but I decided to run System File Check in case there was something amiss somewhere. At the end, SFC told me that it was unable to repair some corrupt files and referred me to the CBS log file for further information. This informed me that there was an issue with files associated with Windows Defender with messages like the following:

2019-08-27 15:40:14, Info CSI 00000162 Hashes for file member [l:27]'MSFT_MpComputerStatus.cdxml' do not match.
    Expected: {l:32 ml:33 b:250a58b9ec6c327e7d165cecbdbae0b1fdca203cd342dba1 2616527b47a44486}.
    Actual: {l:32 b:cbfca6cb14b5a84f5bd30cbc9b05f008f4916e54a33a513f cedf8bff90002f5d}.
    2019-08-27 15:40:14, Info CSI 00000163 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:27]'MSFT_MpComputerStatus.cdxml' of Windows-Defender-Management-Powershell, version 10.0.18362.1, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

There were entries like the above for each of the 8 files in the C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules \Defender folder

I decided to check my laptop because I read somewhere that it might be possible to repair corrupted files from another, uncorrupted, PC. Running SFC on the laptop gave me exactly the same result that I got from the desktop machine. We have 6 PCs of various vintages in our household, all running Win 10 Home and all kept updated. I have checked 5 of them and got the same result with SFC. I then reinstalled the 1903 update on one of the laptops. The installation went smoothly with no issues, but SFC once again reported corrupted files associated with Windows Defender.

I don't run System File Check that often, but always in the past it has given me an "All OK, nothing to worry about" result. I am completely baffled by what I have seen today. I now believe that the BSOD that started all this had nothing to do with the SFC result, but what is going on?

Default Re: Win 10 SFC - corrupt system files?

Had this happen several times, Last couple of times the following fixed it.

1st run the dism command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Once done reboot, try the sfc /scannow command again, if it still errors rerun sfc /scannow several times, (rebooting between each run) some times you need to run sfc several times, sometimes 5-6 times till it fixes it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-08-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Just adding to above, the last one I did earlier this week, ran the dism command, 5 x sfc, didn't fix, did a repair install, then re-ran dism and sfc, that sorted it.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Had this happen several times, Last couple of times the following fixed it.

1st run the dism command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Once done reboot, try the sfc /scannow command again, if it still errors rerun sfc /scannow several times, (rebooting between each run) some times you need to run sfc several times, sometimes 5-6 times till it fixes it.
    Thanks, your advice is always worth following.

I ran dism as you specified, rebooted and then ran sfc. It reported that it had found corrupt files and fixed them. After a reboot and another sfc scan it gave me the "all clear". So your suggestion was the right thing to do, and I will have to treat the other PCs here in the same way.

I still am puzzled by what is going on. After finding 5 computers with the same issue I started to think that there was a systematic problem somewhere involving Windows Defender. I only stumbled across it because I ran sfc, (which previously always gave a clean result) and now I wonder what else is lurking in the depths of my PC. Perhaps better not to know!

Senior

I ran dism and sfc/scannow a few times as you suggested wainuitech but still getting errors. I did find this online and I think it say MS will fix this with next update, would you confirm as I have limited tech knowledge, thanks. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-after-update/

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    I ran dism and sfc/scannow a few times as you suggested wainuitech but still getting errors. I did find this online and I think it say MS will fix this with next update, would you confirm as I have limited tech knowledge, thanks. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-after-update/
    Interesting comment. It confirms my suspicion that this situation was delivered to us from on high.