Angry Computer boots when restarting but won't beep or show post screen if shutdown.

When I restart my computer from windows. It does the single beep code and shows the bios post screen etc. It then starts and loads windows etc completely fine.

But if I shut it down from windows or press the power button and shut it down completely.
    It turns on with lights and fans spinning. But won't beep or show any video.

If I hold the power button and the reset switch to reset the bios. It will sometimes come right and boot again with beep video and all. But often I have to try resetting different ways
    ( jumper on the motherboard, bios battery ) over and over to get it to boot up successfully.

What's the problem? I can't for the life of me work it out!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Computer boots when restarting but won't beep or show post screen if shutdown.

If you have access to one try changing the Power Supply. When a PC reboots the power is not actually shut down, but on a complete shutdown it is (for all intent purposes).

Also change the CMOS Battery, seen them cause all sorts of problems as well, they are cheap enough about $3-5 from most grocery shops / Warehouse.

Sometimes its a case of change parts until you hit the right one. Had customers Computers before that when cold wouldn't start (same thing fans run) But once it got going after 3-4 goes you could reboot all day long without problems.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Computer boots when restarting but won't beep or show post screen if shutdown.

I also wonder if maybe you're not achieving a full and complete shutdown.

Check your power settings to ensure the computer is switching OFF, and not going into a low power hibernation state (in which case your problem is you're not achieving the wake up state to exit hibernation). There are BIOS settings for wake events, plus Windows settings to check.

Hey thanks so much for your ideas. I'll do my best to test them,
    Cheers guys :-)

VoidMaster

In other words, if you are using Win 10 then try disabling "fast startup" because it is a form of hibernation and causes your computer to never truly shut-down so what used to work, which was a reboot of the system to repair annoying faults does not in Win 10.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche